• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Concept Art Mini-Contest - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77

160036-albums4747-picture59795.png

160036-albums4747-picture60882.png

A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. Create the weapon that you imagine yourself holding in a fantasy/futuristic setting!

160036-albums4747-picture59712.png

Theme
9/10
The concept fits the theme very well, but could have done it a bit more personal.

Execution
18/25
It is explained efficiently, but I would like some explanatory drawings. The drawings provided are mostly just a presentation of the appearance. Maybe a drawing of how the handle inside all the fur/feathers looks.

Concept
25/40
The entry sadly lacks any description. It is not a very creative approach, and I don't think this is something not seen before.

realism
20/25
Well, it seems reasonable. The skull shouldn't be of any annoyance. It might get hot with all the fur/feathers, but it could be used in cold climates.
I don't get the two hooks, which are placed unsymmetrical. The hooks would create fraction, and make it hard to drag the weapon out of the victim.

TOTAL
72/100

Theme
10/10
Well, I'm torn. I don't know if this is a fitting vision. It certainly takes advantage of the theme though.

Execution
10/25
Well, the design is effectively displayed, but it's still pretty confusing. Mainly because, you know, it's rather odd.. It's certainly interesting. Could have put more time into details though. In my opinion, the design is rather low in quality.

Concept
30/40
The entry has a description, but I think I need further explanation to grasp this concept. It is certainly not cliché or generic, and it isn't boring. However, it is pretty stupid.

realism
5/25
There is no realism. Even though it is a gun, the rest of it is improbable, especially the part with the small airplines lol. Pretty sweet though.

TOTAL
55/100

Theme
5/10
A lot more could have been done with the theme. It's not very creative.

Execution
20/25
Design it displayed in an effective manner. However, the appearance is not very pleasant to look at in my opinion.

Concept
25/40
The design it not very creative, it's a sword, with few special details. The design makes somewhat sense (I will get to that in the realism part).
The weapon has a story, but not really an explanation. Is the story talking about yourself in 3rd person?

realism
10/25
It's realistic enough. Againt, it's a sword. But the blade is not realistic. All the spikes/bumps would create friction, and make it very difficult to pull the sword of your victim after a kill, and that would probably result in you getting slain.

TOTAL
60/100

Theme
9/10
I think it's a cool concept.

Execution
10/25
Though I can easily see that it's an axe, I would like to have known more. In general (for all entries) a size reference could have been nice.
I would also have liked you to detail it more, like the green round part of the axe? Is that a gem, or...? And like, is that a small missile on the side there???

Concept
30/40
An axe isn't really that creative or anything, but I like that it's kind of an sci-fi axe. I don't think you see that a whole lot, you know, mixing melee weapons into sci-fi. And I think that the concept fits the description, I think it's pretty obvious that this is a kind of space-ish axe.

realism
18/25
If we look aside from the part where this is a galaxy-destroying-space-axe, then it's realistic enough. It's an axe, and proportions seem fine. The spikes on the blade should not have negative effect as far as I can tell.

TOTAL
67/100

Theme
10/10
Very complete concept.

Execution
23/25
Well there isn't really much to put a finger on here. The drawings are really good, and the description is complete. Maybe a drawing of it in action, since it's a gun? But, I would like you to just have shown one final weapon, and not mentioning the other two. I have to divide my focus out on three different weapons, instead of one. But very high quality, and very pleasing to look at.

Concept
25/40
Not very creative. It looks like weapons from half-life and Portal especially, and the abilities of the weapons has also been seen before. The third concept is the one I like the most, and that I feel has the most 'character'. Your description is very well completed with guide and so on.

realism
23/25
A size reference would be nice. I suspect that a weapon like this, would be rather heavy to carry, but other than that, seems realistic enough. I guess it should be made of some pretty rough materials though, for those arms in the front to not break.

TOTAL
81/100

Theme
8/10
The vision is fitting, but a bit boring. Could have taken more advantage of the theme.

Execution
15/25
The design is displayed efficiently. Size reference would have been nice.
The drawing style is very cartoonish, maybe even a tiny bit paint-ish. Could have used more time on that.

Concept
20/40
Not very creative. Metal sword with rune-ish symbol and leather handle is something that has been made a lot. I don't mean to be rude, but it is rather boring. I don't need to look at the description to see what it is. The description that is provided along with the concept is sufficient for it.

realism
20/25
A sword is realistic, but the hooks would have negative effect, since they would get stuck. I can see how hooks would be efficient for disarming your enemies, but not when you are decapitating someone. In that case, you would want a smooth sharp blade, for the quickest and easiest cut.
So, a weapon like a machete, with a single hook putting towards the dull edge of the blade, would be much more sufficient.

TOTAL
63/100

Theme
5/10
Well, it's more like a weird radio that you can carry I guess. Doesn't really look like a weapon, other than how you hold it.

Execution
15/25
It's not that hard to see what it is, when you look at the seperate parts. Like the speakers. It kinda looks like it's supposed to be made of wood though, and then waxed to a shine. I really like that you included a size reference, but still. I don't think it looks like steampunk.

Concept
15/40
It's creative, but that's not always a good thing.
I mean, I'm not even sure if the parts that I call speakers are supposed to be that, since you call them cannons. But the rest is gear that is used for music. You gonna play a annoying tune till they die? This definitely needs a better explanation.

realism
20/25
I think that the way he is supposed to hold it, is a disadvantage. I don't think you could carry anything for long like that, especially not something heavy. The arm on top isn't really gonna be able to carry much weight, mostly just hold it steady and stear direction, so the weight would mostly be placed on the arm on the bottom. Other than that, I guess it's realistic enough, except it won't really kill unless it plays really, really, really loud.

TOTAL
55/100

Theme
5/10
Could have been more creative with the theme.

Execution
5/25
I can easily see that it's an axe, but it's not very well drawn. It's blurry, flat and it lacks details. Looks like a really quick drawn concept, and it's a shame, because that not really something that can be set aside when it's a concept art contest.
It glows white, and I don't know why, and the edge of the blade is really messed up.

Concept
10/40
It's very uncreative. You said yourself, you couldn't figure out what to add, so maybe you just had a bad day. I have days where I can't think up anything creative.
There isn't really a description of abilities of the axe, only a lore, that doesn't describe much. I am assuming that it glows, because it's sacred/holy?

realism
20/25
The handle is pretty thin, and I don't know, but I think the axe would probably break pretty easily, considering how big the blades are compared to the handle.

TOTAL
40/100

Theme
10/10
The concept fits the theme very well, and the concept is really cool.

Execution
25/25
The style is rough, but still has the details included. The color scheme is also great.

Concept
40/40
It's pretty creative. I think it stands out. And though it would probably be hard to display this kind of weapon without the character, I want to include that I really like that he is a part of the concept, though it was not required. Could have used a bit more story or some in action drawings, but sufficient.

realism
15/25
It's not realistic. But if magic was real, it would be?

TOTAL
90/100

Theme
8/10
The concept fits the theme well, but you could have been more creative with it.

Execution
25/25
It's very dark, but it makes it kinda mysteries, and I think it fits really well to the little lore you wrote.

Concept
25/40
It's not very creative, since it's a dagger. But the handle is very neat, and I really like it. I would like a bit more detailed description though.

realism
25/25
Well it's realistic, it's a dagger. I don't see anything problematic about the design.

TOTAL
83/100

Theme
8/10
Really cool looking concept, but the artwork could have been done much better.

Execution
15/25
If you had used highlights and shading, it would be a lot better. I also don't like the solid red color, since it makes it look pretty kind of cheap and plastic-ish. It's shame, because the weapon is really cool.

Concept
30/40
I think it's pretty unique. I know you can't make something that has never been seen before, but it's pretty cool. Looks like a mix between a scepter and an axe.
But, a shame that there is no real description or lore to this.

realism
25/25
I don't know if it's supposed to have any powers or something, but the weapon itself seems pretty realistic. Looks like it wouldn't be too difficult for somone to wield it.

TOTAL
78/100

160036-albums4747-picture59709.png

First Place:
Ghost765
Second Place:
Marcos DAB
Third Place:
Peekay

Poll | Contest

Level 23

Theme
8/10
Really cool looking concept, but the artwork could have been done much better.

Execution
15/25
If you had used highlights and shading, it would be a lot better. I also don't like the solid red color, since it makes it look pretty kind of cheap and plastic-ish. It's shame, because the weapon is really cool.

Concept
30/40
I think it's pretty unique. I know you can't make something that has never been seen before, but it's pretty cool. Looks like a mix between a scepter and an axe.
But, a shame that there is no real description or lore to this.

realism
25/25
I don't know if it's supposed to have any powers or something, but the weapon itself seems pretty realistic. Looks like it wouldn't be too difficult for somone to wield it.

TOTAL
78/100

It took almost a year for the results but at least my entry has at least some decent rating.

Level 14
I'm not quite satisfied :D
I thought the concept of big speaker cannons paralyzing the enemies by the variety of sounds was clear :p

You are right, its only a big speaker, but with great fantasy engineering it can send waves that push attackers back, paralyze them, or even blow them up..

Anyways I'm happy that the results are finally out, Good job all!

Level 49
Thanks for results :) Congrats everyone.

About judging. Well, i really love that it finaly happens, and that's not good, that some regular judges escape this work for this one contest.

Personally to Ralle: I won't be bad person again, and won't argue; but can u explain how you judged the Execution\Concept\Realism points of yours?

Level 49
AFAIK Peekay, enjoy did the judging.

Well, i had no this info. In any way, same question.

Reason is easy, i'm not satisfied about the judging ratings and it looks strange to me, when some typical stuff get's higher "concept" rating than something unusual and specific. I respect the first place mate, he is one of the best artists over hive (and better than me surely), also his idea looks pretty cool (same with execution, rough but with pretend of style and good looking); but Marcos dagger? I'am sorry, but over the judge comments it looks farfetched.

Level 49
For me (won't hurt anyone)

Criteria:

Theme: it should be a weapon that can hurt and make damage

Execution: it is all about drawing; texture\shape\colors and such. Also, image should be nice (eye-catching) and interesting

Concept: creativity and how it is really works. Description can add some points if it explains somehow the idea. Also, how exactly this idea fits any creatures.

Realism: Can this exist? Can it be used by some natural creature?

216177-albums5644-picture68274.jpg

Theme: 10/10
Follows theme

Execution: 15/25
-10: looks rough, texture is blurry and blend.
Details looks fine and defined.

Concept: 35/40
Feathers, skull, separated blades - interesting and can work nice with some jungle\tribal warrior units.
-5 points is for handle. As a concept-art it missing the moment of usability, how it is looking on hand, and how it is works.

Realism: 25/25
I don't see any problem about crafting something like that

Overall: 75/100

131841-albums1364-picture68897.jpg

Theme: 6/10
Well, it is a weapon, that attacks with something, that has weapon. Strange stuff overall

Execution: 5/25
-10: No texture, no details
-10: Low work

Concept: 20/40
There is no show of how it is works, nothing about size, and this its totally strange like a weapon, that strikes with (!!!) airplanes. And nothing that shows what airplanes do to make some damage. Also, some "cartrige" shown, but how it is works and where to put - again some big question.
Has 20 points only cz its _really_ creative stuff :)

Realism: 15/25
Well, there is nice and clear description of how it is work, but actually it looks farfetched and strange weapon overall, so, i cannot imagine a single fighter or group of, who fights with such as weapons.

Overall: 46/100

227648-albums6309-picture68301.jpg

Well. It's a sword, so? It is blooded, so, it can stab. Okaay ;D

Execution: 10/25
-10 points: really rough work
-5 points: broken shape

Concept: 15/40
It is not creative, just a shape-edited basic sword with no any interesting adds or something. The wave-shape looks weird and bizarre, so, overall i cannot imagine some warrior fights with it or any equipment which fits such stuff

Realism: 10/25
Well, the point is, that such shape will be not effective and can be broken easily. This shape is far from realistic sword shapes and also do not looks somehow sharpen.

Overall: 45/100

2wdxbbd.jpg

Fits well

Execution: 22/25
This image already can work nicely inside of cartoon environment.
-3: This filter on top of image ruins it, really. :)

Concept: 35/40
I see the rocket on the back, that should boost speed, i see some green lightings.
-5 points: around description - missing some visual explain or show of control buttons and such.

Realism: 15/25
Well, there is some really hard point to discuss, but i guess it is way too fantastic (based on description).
So, absorb black holes? :D okaay

Overall: 82/100

124842d1367162654-concept-art-mini-contests-how-would-i-my-weapon-three-tauportalguns.jpg

It is a weapon, looks like weapon and can be used like weapon

Execution: 23/25
Well, i guess there is no questions about this point.
-2 Points: there is some hard visible elements which are overdarkened

Concept: 30/40
-10 points: there is a lot of words about how it is works, but nothing of showing, no sizes, etc.
Still has points cause it can be easily added to any futuristic heavy gunners concept, from humans to robotic creatures, and overall the work description is pretty clear.

Realism: 22/25
Well, with such as explanation this futuristic and fantastic weapon can exist or, at least, do not looks really unrealistic. But -3 points - it is actually fantastic stuff.

Overall: 85/100

Shadowraith1.jpg

Its a weapon, a two-handed sword, so, no problem.

Execution: 25/25
There is everything clean and looks pretty nice.

Well, it is somehow boring, but it can easily fit any unit as a magic\nature weapon. So, -10 points - is just a little usual.

Realism: 20/25
It looks very huge and heavy, so, a little hard to imagine a _real_ human or creature that can fight with it.

Overall: 85/100

124935d1367443099-concept-art-mini-contests-how-would-i-my-weapon-sonicgun.png

Theme: 7/10
It is hard to say - this is a weapon. If i try imagine it's shot, i guess the target start harlem shaking :D

Execution: 25/25
Pretty nice execution, everything looks nice.

Concept: 25/40
Well, about concept it is a little broken, cause there is no point of what it is really do. So, Harlem Shake or Gangnamstyle should strike, or what? and what is the point of a vinyl on a top? So, questions-questions. Also some points missing cause it is really hard to fit in something

This is surely can be created right now in 1 week :D Dunno about damage, but a portable disco-party-tool can be very useful on a beach or in a travel :D
Overall: 82/100

124874d1367275786-concept-art-mini-contests-how-would-i-my-weapon-my-weapon-wip-5-axe.jpg

Fits well. Its an axe, axe is a weapon. Questions?

Execution: 5/25
No full size shown (handle cut); looks way too rough.

Concept: 10/40
Boring axe with nothing of personal or unique ideas on. Description adds nothing, so
-30 for totally no creativity.
Still have 10 points cause it can easy fit any of melee units from skeletons to elves.

Well, it has a handle, it has an edge, i guess it can work. Kill some fishes to add phosphor and it will shine
Overall: 50/100

HdNpFSe.jpg

Weapon? Ofc.

Execution: 24/25
-1 Points - it is a little rough (lions on gauntlets and such as lines) but overall image looks really great, so, just 1 point left

Concept: 40/40
Outstanding idea and creativity. Pure fantasy.

Realism: 20/25
Well, as i pointed in a judging criteria, it should exist in some real environment, so, cause this is impossible, i dropped 5 points.

Overall: 94/100

204181-albums4594-picture68648.jpg

It is a weapon. No problem in here

Handle looks strange and there is other points about blurry. As a pure image it's looks somehow rough. I guess u was able make something more eye catching

Actually it should be 20\40, but it is nice conception in discription, so, becomes interesting.

It is easy to make something like that today (without magic effects ofc) ;)

Overall: 80/100

222907-albums6239-picture68629.jpg

Very nice polearm.

Shape is great and overall it is really neat, but this white glow ruins a whole image prettiness. Also some shadows, highlines and light effects can really make it much more better. Well, 10 points dropped cause of that.

Concept: 40/40
There is no description. But i can say that the shape is really fantastic. Outstanding _natural_ weapon.

Don't see any reason why this cannot exist and be used.

Overall: 90/100

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.