• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Commas in tooltips in *Func.txt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
A rather obscure question here.

Background: I'm partway through translating a map by directly editing the files from the MPQ. It appears that this map has been widgetized, and the usual method to undo that doesn't work for various reasons. So, I'm stuck doing find-replaces on HumanAbilityFunc.txt, ItemFunc.txt, HumanUnitFunc.txt, etc. I have little experience otherwise with map editing.

I'm editing tooltips in HumanAbilityFunc.txt. The original language is in Chinese, which uses a full-width comma (,) rather than the ASCII comma (,). However, it appears that the ASCII comma is also a special character which separates tooltips for different levels in ability tooltips. This means that any tooltip in English with an ASCII comma in it gets cut off at that point ingame.

I'm wondering if there is some way to escape the commas in tooltips and descriptions to keep them from being treated as control characters. Neither quotes about the tooltip nor a backslash preceding the comma work.

Much thanks in advance.

(Regarding rule #9 in the forum FAQ: I have no intent to deprotect any map nor give information on any processes involved. The script is fully obfuscated, and I have no intent to become a mapper. Permission was loosely granted for a previous attempt which was never completed due to the time investment that would be required of the authoring team; this is an effort that does not depend on such. If this topic is still in violation, apologies, plz ban.)

Level 2
Checked/searched some other forums and consulted Google; apparently this is a common problem, and no solution seems to be forthcoming. I took the solution of simply rewriting all the tooltips to not use commas.

However, in the course of doing this, a series of crashes and a half-hour bug hunt led to the following discovery: a < (and presumably also >?) character in a tooltip crashes the game as soon as it is loaded. In the case of an ability given by using an item, it won't be apparent until that ability is actually added to a unit.

Holy shit, Blizzard, why.

/thread

Level 2
Quoting the whole tooltip doesn't work, and common escapes like backticks don't either. The thing is, vanilla tooltips (Banish, for example) have commas in them, so at some point I think I'll widgetize a melee map and check the .txt files.

We're talking about ability tooltips in *AbilityFunc.txt (though I believe commas also cause issues in item description tooltips in ItemFunc.txt), specifically the entry labeled "Ubertip=".

Hey, I have a similar problem (I think). I changed some tooltip strings in the game-interface (directly in the editor not in a mpq), but wherever I use a comma the rest of the tooltip is cut out. Quoting out the whole string with '...' or "..." doesn't work. When I modify a default string with a comma already in it the problem also occures. So does someone know how I can get commas in there or is this not possible?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.