• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] Come and test my custom race

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Hello Hive!

I'm developing a custom race to use in a campaign. I have most of the details worked out, but the first thing I've been focusing on is getting the custom race finished and solid before I start on any actual campaign levels.

The general concept is that this is an entirely subterranean race, who also team up with a small group of semi-nerubians.

!!!UPDATE!!!

New version of map is up!

The race is now 98% finished. Unless bugs or other issues are found, the only changes I'll be making are to icons and sound sets. Currently most, if not all, of the buildings are silent.

If you find any issues or bothersome things, please let me know.
I could also use any advice on adjusting unit/building/upgrade costs, or the power of the various units.

The map has melee AI running. There is an undead base to the south that will harass you as you play.

The core race are the ones we know as the Faceless. We have only ever seen them in Azeroth as servants of the old golds. But they were not always so.
In the campaign this race is made for, you will play as the remnants of the original faceless, long after their bretheren have fallen to the Old Gods. They retain the mental and earth-based powers of their once-thriving society, especially the talent for producing golems, which is vital since the faceless themselves are physically weak. Through the campaign, you will also team up with a small brood of nerubians and work to reclaim some of the great faceless empire that was lost.

-UNITS-

Heroes:
Golem Lord: The spirit of an ancient faceless warrior-king bound into a golem's body. Strength Hero good for dealing damage. Can learn Stoneblast, Acid Breath, Stoneskin Aura, and Avatar.
Mind Sculptor: A faceless mage who has mastered mind magic. Intelligence Hero great for crowd control. Can learn Psychic Assault, Sleep, Blink, and Mind Sear.
Brood Lord: The sovereign of the small Nerubian band that allies with the faceless, versatile in combat. Agility Hero. Can learn Implant Spawn, Spiked Carapace, Web Burst, and Reincarnation.

Regular:
Haphazard: Worker unit. A small, crude golem. Spawns a Lesser Earth Elemental upon death.
Guardian: Basic faceless attack unit. Built at the Training Hall. Can learn the Cleave ability. Attacks ground units.
Stinger: Nerubian ranged attack unit. Built at the Training Hall. Can learn the Toxic Webs ability. Attacks ground and air units.
Tunneler: Long range siege golem. Built at the Foundry. Spawns an Earth Elemental upon death. Can learn the Borrow ability. Attacks ground units.
Winged Effigy: Flying attack golem. Built at the Foundry. Spawns a Flying Earth Elemental upon death. Can learn the Reflexes ability. Attacks ground and air units.
Living Crystal: Heavy assault golem. Built at the Foundry. Spawns a Greater Earth Elemental upon death. Can learn the Quickness ability. Attacks ground units.
Queller: Supportive spellcaster of the faceless species. Built at the Enclave. Casts Disorient. Can learn Devour Magic and Psychic scream. Attacks ground and air units.
Earthweaver: Offensive spellcaster of the faceless species. Built at the Enclave. Casts Earthforce. Can learn Sunder Construct and Corrosion. Attacks ground and air units.
Woundbinder: Supportive ranged Nerubian. Built at the Enclave. Casts Restoration. Can learn Spider Eye. Attacks ground units.
Blindhunter: Quick, near-sighted flying scout. Built at the Roost. Has Poison. Can learn screech. Attacks ground and air units.
Bombardier: Heavy flying bomber. Built at the Roost. Can learn Locust Swarm. Attacks ground and air units.

Important Building Information:
The Font produces food and also has an ability called Touch-Up. This ability repairs nearby mechanical units (the haphazard, tunneler, winged effigy, living crystal, and all earth elementals) and structures.
The Writhing Earthform is a unique defensive structure for this race. It has no regular attack, but instead uses Impale and Landslide to attack groups of enemies, and Absorb to drain mana from enemies to recharge. While its abilities are able to damage large groups, they aren't as good at actually scoring kills, so the Earthform does need support. It also can't hit any air units with its abilities.

Attachments

• Faceless Work in Progress.w3x
    1.5 MB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Level 13
The only way "getting the custom race finished" is to test it under melee conditions (which is easy if your campaign involves the default races). I can't really tell if your race is balanced or not in the test map.

I don't know how to mass export/import your models so i can't do this myself.

Level 6
Gonna check it out when I get the time.

Edit : This might help you.

The main building + Font don't have any sounds.

Font hotkey gets mixed up with Fondry

Training hall hotkey gets mixed up with Terra

repository of sost knowledge hotkey doesn't work

Blindhunter & Bombadier hotkeys get mixed up

Nerubian seer & Queller have no hotkeys

About units. Blindhunter screech ability doesn't really reveal the map in a large area, it reveals the minimap for you.

I think that Stinger and living crystal's abilities should be auto-cast with turn on/off feature, specially living crystal, it'd be like Zealots of Protoss in Sc2.

Nerubian Seer has no abilities.

Earthweaver's sunder can't target buildings.

Queller and Earthweaver's abilities can use some animation.

Placeholder is targeted as an organic unit isn't realistic.

Haphazard can't repair ? also an animation for when it gathers gold/lumber would make it look better

Also I know that Font is supposed to be the replenishing source for this race, but you should add a unit with a healing ability, or a passive that can be upgraded which makes units regenerate health.

I like the race tho, great work.

Last edited:
Level 6
The race won't be used outside of just a campaign setting, so I have no real issue with the balance of it under melee conditions. I just want more eyes to look at it, make sure all the details and text, sounds, icons, graphics, attacks, and abilities are good. I have a good eye for detail, but after a few hours staring at the object editor, everything starts to blur a little.

I have no finished the agility hero. Once I finish with all the other missing parts, I'll upload a version of the test map with all units/abilities/upgrades totally done.

But.... if it would be more helpful to everybody to have the map in melee mode, I can do that very easily for my next update. Just let me know.

Level 2
1. Shouldn't Bombadier be Bombardier?
2. Earth force looks strange on Bombadiers.
3. Touch-up doesn't work on buildings, neither Sunder Construct does.
4. Earthweavers don't have their portrait done
5. The buildings don't really match each other, neither their construction process does. It could really use some more unique models.
6. Same with unit portraits, I have my imagination but then again, it's basically a treant chopping down trees.

Level 6
!!!UPDATE!!!

I've got an updated version of the race released now for testing. As always, look for the little things. The visuals will probably change over time, so the things that really need attention are things like tooltips, balance, costs, utility. Anybody who can provide feedback is awesome!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.