• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

Collision Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Is it possible for me to create collision attachments?

For example, I have a big beasty scorpion, and it has a normal collision for it's central body, but I want another small collision radius for it's claws.
This is so when I attach a melee hero to mount the scorpion, he will be able to units to either side of him, but only the scorpion is able to attack directly ahead.

I already have a solution of sorts, creating a dummy unit and attaching it to a point ahead of the scorpion. Also could use the dummy unit to provide the separate attack, although the hero and scorp will eventually be two seperate units anyway and attack independently.

Is there a better way to accomplish this? If not, would anyone have any thoughts as to the dummy unit creation, such as preventing crashes from colliosion overlap (between dummy and scorp, or anything else when created), because the unit will be very specifically fixed.

In fact, could anyone tell me how I would attach a dummy unit in this manner?

Orc

Orc

Level 4
Hey Alakon. Sorry, but I don't think that this is possible. You could potentially do it with dummy units, but I would never recommend it. Are you absolutely sure you want dynamic collisions?

Level 7
I won't commit suicide if I can't get it, but it would have really buffed up the whole Player Mount deal. I'll just run over the concept here quickly.
I want the Player Mount and the Player Hero to be untouched (value wise, like replacing a unit with something else or having to store it) so that any triggers that I have pertaining to either the Mount or the Hero will still fire, and there shouldn't be any bugs. Or at least, easily fixable.
And I wanted to be able to change the 'shape' of the collision, so that if you imagine your hero unit has been attached to the back of a scorpion, his movement is completely dependent on the Mount, that he will have the range to attack units to the side of him, because the collision is smaller, making units have to come closer to attack.
But in front the Scorpion has ginormous pincers, and the collision extended to encompass them, so that enemy units won't walktz inside the pincers, and the hero would find himself unable to reach those targets.
Just thought it would be a nifty feature in conjunction with some others, and also being able to 'attach' would solve a lot of hassles.

Ignoring the collision, how would you suggest going about attaching said unit to his mount, disabling his personal movement and making him, well, an attachment.

Orc

Orc

Level 4
Use special effects. Use the one that deals with the actual unit. Set the attachment to chest or something of the mount. Then set the model to the model of the hero.

However, that is just a cosmetic thing. He won't attack anything; indeed, he will do nothing, other than change stand animations. Hell, he won't even be selectable.

That's all I know of "mounting" without modelling. Perhaps somebody reading this thread is a modeller?

Level 7
Yeah that would solve the superficial side of it, but I wanted the hero attachment precisely so that it wasn't superficial. The prettiness was only the secondary reason I want to do it. Instead of a brand new unit that was a horse mounted with a hero, I wanted to say, 'fix' an existing hero to the mount when I click the mount ability, disable his own movement stats, and somehow have the horse mount drag him around. That way i won't have to change all the hero variables to use that mounted horse instead. Especially as I'll have variables for specifically the player horse. It'll simplify things enormously if I can just stick the hero onto the horse and keep everything else the same.
I would say I'd need an animation of the hero where he's mounted (just his pose, not the mount).
This also means I'll have the liberty to use things like 'unhorsing', joust style, in a very clean fashion, it would only take a fairly simple trigger, as opposed a ginormous complicated one.

Also means that the mount also has an attack as well as the hero, and both are dealt with seperately. Meaning an enemy could directly attack the hero or the horse but not both (unless AOE). Even normal horses would be able to flail their hooves, but there will be powerful mounts players can acquire which provide deadly combat assistance. Possibly with tradeoffs, i.e greater combat value but slower speed making it not as useful as horses for racing or long distance travel.

I think I might post this around in resource areas as well, see if anyone had the knowhow to do this, or have done this. Collision attachment would be nice as well but not necessary.

EDIT: That special effect attachment point deal is pretty much what I want to do, but with a pre-existing actual unit instead of a pretty effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.