• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cleaning strings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Ok, we all know that when we write a string on the trigger editor using GUI, it uses a different file inside the map to store the strings, and the trigger actually "calls" the strings from that file when needed. These are the popular "TRIGSTR_478" kind of file.

My problem is that I'm rewriting a good part of my old GUI triggers into JASS, and when I convert these triggers to custom text, my strings are all "messed up" like the example above.

Ok, that's not a big problem, I can always copy the text before converting to custom text, but I'm starting to think that these strings (there are lots of them on my map) can become a problem due to file size. Is there any way to clean the strings file, so that i doesn't store unused strings?

Thanks in advance.

PS: btw, does anyone know why sometimes it stores the strings on the strings file and sometimes on the trigger itself (not calling a TRIGSTR_XYZ)?

Level 18
Ok, we all know that when we write a string on the trigger editor using GUI, it uses a different file inside the map to store the strings, and the trigger actually "calls" the strings from that file when needed. These are the popular "TRIGSTR_478" kind of file.

My problem is that I'm rewriting a good part of my old GUI triggers into JASS, and when I convert these triggers to custom text, my strings are all "messed up" like the example above.

Ok, that's not a big problem, I can always copy the text before converting to custom text, but I'm starting to think that these strings (there are lots of them on my map) can become a problem due to file size. Is there any way to clean the strings file, so that i doesn't store unused strings?

Thanks in advance.

PS: btw, does anyone know why sometimes it stores the strings on the strings file and sometimes on the trigger itself (not calling a TRIGSTR_XYZ)?

Blizzard saves the strings inn it's files.

Just remmember the text or write it dow beafore converting it ;)

Level 7
You can open the map file using a MPQ program such as WinMPQ, then you will see a .wts file. Open it in notepad, whatever. It'll list all the strings.

Status
Not open for further replies.