• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Classic Survival

Reactions: StoPCampinGn00b
Introduction
A classic survival game for 4 players. Play as the Priest, Footman, Archer or Sorceress and embark on an epic journey in this 20x20 sized map. Defeat four clever bosses and seemingly countless waves of ill-willed creatures and humanoids. Indulge yourself with cool 14 items.

More seriously this is a small map for you and your friends to enjoy a boring afternoon or so. As of now it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes to complete. I aim for it to reach approximately an hour of game time and I hope you guys could help me out to improve the map. Each class has a vital role for the little party's survival. Note that teamwork is key meaning you do need to cooperate with you co-players. The low amount of items forces you to share them with your teammates when it's necessary.

This version still contains some balance issues and minor bugs as it is not thoroughly tested. I am well aware of the fact that some triggers are inefficient and leaking. I highly appreciate all honest constructive criticism meaning if the map is good; do tell what is good. Or if it's just another brainless Warcraft III map taking up space, time and..space; do tell what is bad about it.

This map is not protected. This does not mean it is open source and you can edit it however you want, in fact you should not edit it all. It's so that you can learn; not steal.

I do hope you enjoy playing this map as much as I enjoyed making it.

Screenshots
scrn1l.png

scrn2s.png

scrn3.png

Changelog
Key: ✔ ✖
  • Resources credited properly.
  • Remove leaks.
  • Additional quests.
  • Improved, more dynamic AI.
  • Additional waves and one boss.
  • Improved balance and fun.
I released this version in hope of receiving some feedback on the map before developing it further.
  • Released.
Contents

Classic Survival (Map)

Reviews
09:46, 11th Apr 2011 -Kobas-: Status: Approved
Epic, some ideas are unique, terrain is ok :p...
I will approve it as soon as you fix broken trigger ↓
Cleanse
and add some warning messages like if you die you can only watch :))))
Joking with you, but you should create something for defeated players :)
Add difficulties :p

Oh 1 last thing
Floating text triggers are horrible ^^
So many of them...

Create 1 trigger
  • Then - Actions
    • Set Loc = (Position of ([unit_variable]))
    • Floating Text - Create floating text that reads [Variable(1)] at Loc with Z offset 0.00, using font size [Variable(2)], color ([Variable(3)]%, [Variable(4)]%, [Variable(5)]%), and 0.00% transparency
    • Floating Text - Change (Last created floating text): Disable permanence
    • Floating Text - Set the velocity of (Last created floating text) to 64.00 towards 90.00 degrees
    • Floating Text - Change the lifespan of (Last created floating text) to 2.00 seconds
    • Floating Text - Change the fading age of (Last created floating text) to 1.50 seconds
    • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_Loc)
then just set up [Variable(numberzzz)] in your spells and call this trigger :p
A little faster and a lot nicer...
Oh you can add variables for lifespawn and so on as well :p

Did I already said that minimap look really good :D

Level 11
Thanks. I'm happy you liked it. Lol well there isn't much to terrain. I thought of making some terrain deformations/changes with triggers that bosses causes so that the environment can be more dynamic.

I'll fix the things you mentioned asap.

Level 9
Since you reviewed my map some times, I guess its fair to give my review point some bugs or things that need to be fixed or added:

Classic Survival Suggestions
-First quest came out too fast, should add some time between introducing the game and giving the quest, make an intro or at least a brief explanation on the map start
-Add my damage&spells system LAWL
-Cleanse seemed pretty useless at the beggining, and I could not see the buffs on the targets so I almost never used, you should add inner fire first or other holy spell
-The warrior should have a basic stomp spell (if it doesn't already)
-Should add basic AI on unused slots or make all units playable on single player, also, being able to choose wich one I'd like to play would be nice
-The fog was annoying, the sorceress ran away and died and I could not heal her because of the fog
-Add something in the middle?A tower or some kind of tent, or maybe even some thing to protect during a quest
-Some purchases description seem to be bugged, may be my computer though
-Too little time to buy from the merchant, he was there for like a few seconds and I had to literally grab everything I could before he ran away
-Ghoul kept cannibalizing a body in a moment on the second wave, making it a easy kill, since we dealt much more damage than he could heal himself
-You could add more spells for the classes to make ability usage more often, but thats not a must, its good the way it is
-Maybe upgrade unit models after the waves?Like the footman become a blood elf lieutenant or captain, and the priest becomes a TFT-model priest, but I dunno for the other two
-Camera locked to my character position on death and I could not see what was happening(seemed to be a caravan coming or something)
-Creeps only killed the units guarding the caravan and let it pass undamaged LAWL
-Impossible on single player, as I said add AI or make the units available to red
-Add some little story perhaps?May be simple, like, they were camping and in the middle of the night got attacked or something
-Game seems to never end, even if all died
-Small maps like these with pre-placed units allows you to do almost anything in triggers with no fear of MUI and stuff like that, take advantage!
I wont rate it for now, will wait more updates, but I think it may be a nice map with some fixes!

Level 11
Classic Survival
Created by Chizume.
Gameplay

The idea is great and unique, But it can soon get repetitive and boring. The effects are satisfactory the thing that annoys me the most is that you can't see
your "Team Mates" hp and it can get hard. Overall this is a good map and great for a few minutes without it getting boring.
Terrain

The terrain is plain again but it add's a nice finish the the map, But you need a bit more doodad's.
Triggering

There is nothing wrong with the triggering besides the bugs -Kobas- pointed out, Tho the spells are quite plain and boring. Maybe if you added systems to make the game more intense and sharp'r.
Overall Score

Gameplay * 4/10
Terrain * 6/10
Triggering/Bugs.. * 7/10
Overall * Vote for Approval;

Level 11
  1. Cleanse seemed pretty useless at the beggining, and I could not see the buffs on the targets so I almost never used, you should add inner fire first or other holy spell.
  2. The warrior should have a basic stomp spell (if it doesn't already).
  3. Should add basic AI on unused slots or make all units playable on single player, also, being able to choose which one I'd like to play would be nice.
  4. The fog was annoying, the sorceress ran away and died and I could not heal her because of the fog.
  5. You could add more spells for the classes to make ability usage more often, but thats not a must, its good the way it is.
  6. Too little time to buy from the merchant, he was there for like a few seconds and I had to literally grab everything I could before he ran away.
  7. Camera locked to my character position on death and I could not see what was happening.
  8. Creeps only killed the units guarding the caravan and let it pass undamaged.

1. I agree. I'll add some more debuffs for the opponents and increase their strength and duration, hence Cleanse will be more vital.
  2. My idea for the warrior is to be very focused on tanking. The Footman has Defend (Great for taking damage, yet he is still weak to magics), Taunt (to gain aggro and lure opponents away from allies), Disarm (disable a strong target for a sec forcing it to stop attacking, awesome if an ally is low on health and just about to die), Leadership (armor aura).
  3. I'm considering giving the option to choose what class you wish to play. And also make this playable for 2 - 6 players or so. I could add more classes like Rifleman, or Brute.
  4. This is a singleplayer issue. But showing the squary boundaries is dull. I'll work something out.
  5. I'm not sure how to do with the Rank in this case. But I do too want to add more abilities. I even consider giving the units all abilities instantly, but then this game would turn into bad version of Impossible Bosses.
  6. Yes this is a bit problematic at the moment. Also maybe you noticed that the items didn't cost anything. I'm not sure whether to use standard gold, coin item or battle points.
  7. I'll unlock the camera upon death.
  8. This is because I gave the caravans locust because their pathing was messed up when units were moving in their way. But I'm working on how to improve overall dynamic of the gameplay. Like most survivals it is repetitive to just kill wave upon wave. That's why I though it would be cool to have caravans coming and similar. But as I said earlier; I'm working on how.

1. The thing that annoys me the most is that you can't see your "Team Mates" hp and it can get hard.
  2. Maybe if you added systems to make the game more intense and sharp'r.

1. There should be a multiboard displaying both health and mana of yourself and your allies?
  2. Did you have anything specific in mind? Care to give me a few examples?

Thank you both for your feedback :)

Level 11

1. There should be a multiboard displaying both health and mana of yourself and your allies?
    Did you have anything specific in mind? Care to give me a few examples?

1. 1. Maybe if you added custom hp bars e.g like this
    ||||||||||||||
    ,Or if you like enable hp bars since you disabled it.

2. Make modes where its very hard and normal ect, I am currently not sure since I have not played your map in depth.

Level 11
  1. Maybe if you added custom hp bars e.g like this |||||||||||||| ,or if you like enable hp bars since you disabled it.
  2. Make modes where its very hard and normal ect, I am currently not sure since I have not played your map in depth.[/

1. I don't want players to see enemy health bars, and I can't disable health bars for only enemies, right? Maybe I could try using LocalPlayer?
  2. I will add difficulty levels. Easy, Medium, Hard. But the idea of this is inspired by maps such as 7 Illidans/Blademasters, which is a very simple survival map. Thus I want to keep things simple.

Level 11
You finally managed to finish 1 map :D
Well,at first it seemed too simple,but it's actually quite amusing i had fun even in singleplayer.
Sorry that i can't give much of a criticism,but if you need any help,feel free to ask me :ogre_hurrhurr:

I know right! It feels amazing. I just gotta find some time and devotion to add these last few points to make it acceptable. Then comes then fun improvements!

Level 3
Wait.... u cant host this game? I tried to start the game but it states...... One team only. Cannot start unless there are two teams and more. SO HOW DO I PLAY THIS WITH MY FRIENDS?
Plus the game description mentioned, " this is a game for 4 players". It doesn't seem so -.=

Level 11
Oh? I really thought I had got that thing working properly. I will fix this with the upcoming version then.

I aim for it to be released in 1-2 weeks as it supports many fixes, updates and changes, plus I have much school and work right now.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Last edited:
Level 3
Really looking forward for you to fix the game asap :D so that i can really have funnnnnnnn. Im a fan of mini games and also games that require a few people to play, and your idea is just simple, fun and awesome. I can't tell if it is fun, but illll be waiting for da FIX :D

Level 10
I tried to play this with my friend...

I was unable to because of the error "All players are on the same team"
and there was only 1 choice of team.

So the map can only be played if you open it from the editor and hit test map.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

This looks fun. I'll give it a try. And if it doesn't have... what was the word..

Variation? :p

3/5!

I want to be surprised and see innovation.

o_O

Map Review:

- I played as priest. Because I was given that unit, what gibbs :p
- I played second time, and got archer. Now i know how you pick hero... you dont! :p

like[+]

- I love the simplicity. Four spells, four classes, each bound to others and need for teamwork. Without, they are pretty much useless
- I like the floating texts on cast, they sure make the game look pro!
- The terrain is simple and its great that way
- I like the fog and how unit dissapears in it
- The unit selection triggers are interesting. You can't select anything but yourself, which give little room for error while mass clicking
- The map has AI! I like that

dislike[-]

- I hated to not be able to see health bars. It was hard to see in the tiny leaderboard and check when they were approaching critical health in order to heal
- I disliked not being able to even know my health. Again, it sucks to constantly shift eyes into the little leaderboard in the corner.
- The little to no awareness on whether the allies have negative buffs or not gives almost no room to know when to cast Cleanse
- Items appeared in the middle map but you can't tell what they are unless you pick em
- You don't have enough room to run around and if you go into the fog, you can't even heal yourself there
- Footman ventured into the fog while chased by ghouls and I couldn't heal him, he was on low health and died there
- You should write at the load screen that players don't choose heroes, but get them with player position
- When the merchant comes, you don't know which item does what. You need to blindly click and take whatever you find charming through icons
- The game doesn't end. Everyone died at level 2 and nothing was happening...
- The game with the archer, we survived till level 2 and nothing is happening. We are just sitting there, doing nothing... no quest, no boss, no other wave... we finished unknown threat quest and this is as far as it goes

suggestions[%]

- If you dont want units to show health bars, atleast make something to show their health on top of the unit. Floating "%" health above would be good
- Item tooltips when purchasing
- Hero selection (or a tip on how to select) if you already have it
- Slow down the text, I didnt even read the 1st text when the merchant was here and he already said another two texts and ventured off. Plus that I was trying hard to read what items did what ...
- A game end or restart would be good

4/5

I like the map, I like the concept I like the teamplay. But your systems are good as much as they are bad for teamwork. Fix! Nao! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 11
Map Review:

- I played as priest. Because I was given that unit, what gibbs :p
- I played second time, and got archer. Now i know how you pick hero... you dont! :p

like[+]

- I love the simplicity. Four spells, four classes, each bound to others and need for teamwork. Without, they are pretty much useless
- I like the floating texts on cast, they sure make the game look pro!
- The terrain is simple and its great that way
- I like the fog and how unit dissapears in it
- The unit selection triggers are interesting. You can't select anything but yourself, which give little room for error while mass clicking
- The map has AI! I like that

dislike[-]

- I hated to not be able to see health bars. It was hard to see in the tiny leaderboard and check when they were approaching critical health in order to heal
- I disliked not being able to even know my health. Again, it sucks to constantly shift eyes into the little leaderboard in the corner.
- The little to no awareness on whether the allies have negative buffs or not gives almost no room to know when to cast Cleanse
- Items appeared in the middle map but you can't tell what they are unless you pick em
- You don't have enough room to run around and if you go into the fog, you can't even heal yourself there
- Footman ventured into the fog while chased by ghouls and I couldn't heal him, he was on low health and died there
- You should write at the load screen that players don't choose heroes, but get them with player position
- When the merchant comes, you don't know which item does what. You need to blindly click and take whatever you find charming through icons
- The game doesn't end. Everyone died at level 2 and nothing was happening...
- The game with the archer, we survived till level 2 and nothing is happening. We are just sitting there, doing nothing... no quest, no boss, no other wave... we finished unknown threat quest and this is as far as it goes

suggestions[%]

- If you dont want units to show health bars, atleast make something to show their health on top of the unit. Floating "%" health above would be good
- Item tooltips when purchasing
- Hero selection (or a tip on how to select) if you already have it
- Slow down the text, I didnt even read the 1st text when the merchant was here and he already said another two texts and ventured off. Plus that I was trying hard to read what items did what ...
- A game end or restart would be good

4/5

I like the map, I like the concept I like the teamplay. But your systems are good as much as they are bad for teamwork. Fix! Nao! :)

Thanks for your review!

I should have updated this map by now but I have work and school and am very lazy. I'll come to it sooner or later (it will happen).

• I'll add health bars above units as many people have thought it to be a good idea.
  • I'll make debuff effects bigger and more clear, and also increase the duration and strength, to vitalize the use of Cleanse.
  • I'll think of a neat way to solve the fog issues without ruining the atmosphere.
  • I'll make units pick-able at start (limited to 1 per class and set maximum amount of players to 6), along with adding the two new classes Rifleman and Brute classes and remaking Archer. Thus making this playable for 1 - 6 players (even though you'll most likely lose with too few players).
  • I'll fix overall gameplay speed and dynamic. Remove some text and shorten some messages along with giving some extra time at places.
  • I'll add pretty tooltips to items.
  • I'll fix defeat conditions :)

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

That'd be great.

- I played every class there is for now. I don't like Sorceress, her first spell does little to no damage and costs 35 mana which takes a bit to regenerate. Her magic shield is idk... magic damage consists of spell damage? It takes some timing for that to work out in favor of the unit being shielded, and in many times you can't guess when a spell will be cast. This is the only class that I've not managed to get to end of the game (or the bugged level 2 where nothing happends) and didn't try her last two spells

Here is a helpful list for you, from me as your tester at what should be priority:

1. Why the hell game ends at level 2 when you said in description there are 4 clever working bosses. I've only encountered one, the spider. I doubt the abominations were a boss at quest number two. It also sucks that when everyone is dead the game doesn't end, but if you wait for revive there is no revive.

2. Implement hero selection or write in the map start that players get a hero by choosing the be player 1, 2, 3...

3. Health bars. Also if you are gonna keep the unit selection system, and want debuffs to be manually removed, a simple trick when making the buffs, use more "overhead" than everything else. Then when example I wanna cleanse poison from someone I'll notice the green bubbly poison crap over his head and guess that it doesn't do anything good. BAM! Cleansed :D

4. Items should have descriptions. It sucks to buy them randomly. I now know them but I needed to play atleast 2-3 games in order to get them all.

5. Hero fixes.

* Footman is good. I have nothing to suggest
* Priest's bubble is great, but it would also be great if he could place it on an ally. It lasts 4 seconds so its not really abusable, but enough to save an ally in distress
* Archer is great, but her Concentration (Berserk) spell I THINK the damage increase to her (50%) is too much. Sometimes its not worthy to take a few hits as they will deal 150% damage each.
* Sorceress sucks in my view. Her first spell costs lot, doesn't do much. Her second spell is hard to time... the other two I didn't check. I thought she was the best nuker in the game, but turned out she sucked. You can make the Sorceress the team's disabler because you already have a tank, a dps and a support. I think a first spell slow is great and the arcane projectile could be second spell... an ultimate polymorph would also spell success!

These are just my views on things.

Level 11
The 1 - 4 points I have said that I will take care of in the previous post. The 4 hero fixes suggestions I shalt carefully consider. I know Sorceress isn't exactly what I want her to be (low hp, high mana cap, expensive mana abilities, high damage, skillshots). The idea is to make people share items, such as giving Sobi Mask to Sorc when she needs it and give it to the Priest when he needs it.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Yes you have. I'm just helping you with what should be focused first and next. I know you said you'd fix stuff, but not in particular order. Now you have the order :p

Its not the skillshot its high mana cost, less damage about the sorc arcane missile.

About sharing items - that's not gonna work. you haz merchant at which you buy items, why would i say, who plays footman buy some item not for me and save it for the sorc? I wouldn't. But if items were not bought, just dropped or looted off bosses, thats another story.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Just checking out on ya - are you gonna finish this? Cuz the idea was great and only minor tweaks are needed if you got all the quests working.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Map still not fixed? Two quests and gets stuck after that...
I still wonder how it got approved when map isn't complete.

Level 11
Wanted to drop by and say that I've picked up this project again and have been working on some changes. Reworked classes, improved waves and boss fights and a lot of bug fixes. I have gained some perspective on things now that I've been away from Warcraft for some time. Now I just need to remember how to use this world editor thing..

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

I'm sure you'll remember. Finally, maybe I'll see a 3rd quest in the next version :p

Level 11
I figured I'd share a simple log of upcoming changes to this map, patch notes if you will. I believe it is more fun and developing for everyone if they are posted here instead laying around in a dusty notepad document in the deep caverns of my warcraft files. I can't give an exact date on when I'll upload the new version as there are still a few things that needs fixing as you can see in the list above. I hope that's alright.

Key: = Finished = Unfinished

Gameplay

Stats multiboard for health and mana replaced with custom health and and mana bars hovering over units.
System made by Garfield1337.

Improved AI for enemy units and bosses.

New character selection.

General playability improvements including vision range, animation fixes, typos, camera unlocks upon death, victory/defeat message, and some other minor things.

All four classes have been reworked. See rework below.

Improved overall wave structure with a timer and ready check.

Clarified buff/debuff visuals.
Miscellaneous

All resources credited properly in-game.

Leaks cleaned up.
Footman
BTNFootman.png
"I found the old Footman a bit dull, there was basically nothing to do except autoattack. I feel this rework will give him more utility and space to make clutch plays. There is nothing better than clutch plays."
icons_1473_btn.jpg
Slash - [Q]
Slashes at a target location dealing # damage to nearby enemies. If an enemy is affected by Bash the debuff is refreshed.

icons_1610_btn.jpg
Bash - [W]
Bashes at a target location confusing targets hit temporarily canceling their current action and slowing their attack speed and movement speed by 30% for 2 seconds.

icons_5550_btn.jpg
Shout - [E]
Taunts nearby enemies forcing them to attack the Footman. Additionally enrages them reducing their armor by 3 but increasing their attack speed by 25% for 4 seconds.

BTNDefend.png
Guard - [R]
Shields an ally taking all damage the ally recieves for 10 seconds.
Use this ability again to cancel the effect.

Sorceress
BTNSorceress.png
"The Sorceress is the only characer with more than 4 abilities. She is a Sorceress! It is only natural. Note that she is not exactly the typical kind of elemental magician, but instead focusing on controlling the fights, moving or disabling allies as well as opponents."
BTNManaFlare.png
Arcane Flow - [Q]
Fires a flow of arcane energy towards a target location dealing # damage to enemy targets. Additionally other spells cast by the Sorceress increases damage done by this spell by 10%. Bonus damage stack and lasts for 3 seconds.

BTNHex.png
Hex - [W]
Transforms a single allied and enemy target into harmless critter for 2 seconds.

icons_5548_btn.jpg
Pulse - [E]
Sends a pulse of energy knocking ally or enemy targets back a short distance.

icons_6486_btn.jpg
Shock - [R]
Shocks targets in an area removing buffs from enemy targets and debuffs allied targets.

BTNWispSplode.png
Orb - [D]
Creates an orb at a target location which lasts for 3 seconds. Slowly pulls enemy targets to it while dealing # damage every second.

BTNDispelMagic.png
Displacement - [F]
Moves enemy targets from a target location to a random location nearby.

BTNInvisibility.png
Illusion - [G]
Creates an illusion of an ally or enemy target which lasts for 5 seconds. The illusion deals no damage but can take 25% more damage than the original.

Priest
BTNPriest.png
"The Priest is probably the character who is most similar to his old self. The new heal gives you more ability to choose how to heal; heal many allies for a bit or one for much. His Cleanse will be much more important as well because all enemies now have a variety of new disables."
BTNHeal.png
Gleaming Bolt - [Q]
Fires a bolt of light towards a target location dealing # damage. If the target hit is Undead it takes # additional damage. If the target hit is an ally it takes # reduced damage for 2 seconds.

icons_583_btn.jpg
Heal - [W]
Restores # health split among all allied targets at a target location.

BTNResurrection.png
Cleanse - [E]
Removes debuffs from an allied target. Additionally the target recieves 50% incresed health from healing and regenerating effects for 4 seconds.

icons_614_btn.jpg
Meditation - [R]
Channels holy powers regenerating # health to nearby allies and # mana every second to the caster. Lasts for up to 5 seconds.

Archer
BTNHighElvenArcher.png
"The Archer is a high mobility character which uses a lot of her Shoot skill to deal damage. Using Marks along with the Shoot ability creates an interesting dynamic playstyle which I find surprisingly entertaining."
BTNSteelRanged.png
Shoot - [Q]
Fires an arrow at a target location dealing # damage to targets hit. If the target is affected by Mark it takes # additional damage.

BTNMarksmanship.png
Mark - [W]
Marks a single enemy target for 3 seconds.

BTNEnsnare.png
Net - [E]
Throwns down a net at a target location. Snares enemy targets near the net when this ability is cast again. Only one net can be placed at a time. Additionally the archer gains 20% increased movement speed for 1 second per unit trapped.

icons_6383_btn.jpg
Dash - [R]
Dashes a short distance. Using this ability resets the cooldown of the Shoot ability.
Repeatedly have I come back to this project and each time have I felt that its gameplay was lacking. I tried multiple different options to fix this but I could never quite get it right. Recently I thought of a major change; removing the autoattack. The results are very different from the original version but I do feel it is much more what I wanted it to be originally. It also adds a new depth of innovation which I like.

Some parts of the current classes are subject to change, especially values. Generally however, I am happy with how things look.

As usual, feel free to point out typos, blurry things, things I may have missed or stupid game design.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Nice to see that you are changing the map.
However the playable version still ends at level 2... nothing happens.

So when is the new version coming?