• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

CK's Mod - WarCraft, but with StarCraft gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I've been recently thinking about making a mod myself but I can't seem to find the time to get started or do some concept creation.

In a nutshell, my idea is to make a Multi-Player Altered Melee mod initially featuring only two factions, Orc and Human (though I might only be doing Humans for my first release) with the gameplay inspired mostly by StarCraft. The unit lethality and scale in the game would be similar to that in StarCraft, where you had units dying fast and dozens of troops duking it out against each other on the map at any point in time, and you can expect unit stats altered to values similar to those of some StarCraft units.

One of my main aims in making the mod is to design the factions to be as distinct from each other in both units and gameplay as possible and all the while remain balanced, just like how diverse the factions in StarCraft are from each other but are still pretty even (unless the map favors a certain race over another, in which case, it's more of a map issue).

Also, the factions would adhere to a certain playstyle/strategy that fits their racial characteristics like Orcs are focused mostly on melee combat and assaults while Humans are focused on defence and support units. Actually, this is pretty much my super main objective as originally, I wanted to mod the original Melee to make Human feel more unique in their playstyle by making them a turtling faction (though I got turned off by the idea soon enough).

A few more stuff:

- Removing heroes. I don't feel like they fit in so much since I'm planning for this mod to be more of a "pure RTS". Besides, if the units are designed well enough, there'd be no need for them.

- Remove gameplay elements related to randomness or chance like abilities based on having a % chance to be triggered and the dice roll in unit attacks.

- StarCraft armor system. It's simpler and much more intuitive in my opinion. I already did this by modifying the Mountain Giant's Hardened Skin ability and it works like a charm so far. There's just a few problems in mind like making the ability consistent with the displayed armor in the UI (I still retained it but made the armor reduction value to 0%) as well as future abilities that increase armor.

- Decreasing unit sizes to 75% of their original values to make variety in unit speed more possible as well as to let more things fit on the screen (although I I could also diddle with Camera for that). Maybe also to make unit scaling more... ehhh, realistic.

- Avoid imported models, skins, icons, and triggered abilities as much as possible. I would want to try to refrain from using custom models and stuff like as I feel it's a bit... cleaner, that way. I am also useless at complex triggers and have no idea about coding whatsoever so if I tried doing that, it would probably only turn out messy.

I was thinking if anyone wanted to help out? Mostly on the unit concepts. I would need each unit in a faction to be useful but offer a definite role in the game without being overlapped by another unit within the faction.

Status
Not open for further replies.