• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

City Entrance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hey, this is my first terrain piece I've ever made, I'd like your opinions on how I can improve it if you guys don't mind, as I am planning on making an entire city.
wc3scrnshot032911181752.jpg

EDIT: Is this angle a bit better? xD

Last edited:

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I agree, it's not bad for a virgin terrain.

You should focus on the foreground at first, try some better looking grass and make sure the shrubbery transitions better. The ferns for instance are extremely green in comparison to the saturated grass.
So yes, work that out. Try to match the colors, but don't make it obviously monochromatic.

Secondly, you could work out something a tad bit more interesting than a flat wall behind the gates. Try giving it some depth and show some form of city contours fading in the fog.
Could definitely liven up the imagery.

Lastly, you seldom reach a fine result without playing with light and light sources. You have a few options here, the lanterns for instance. You could also try to brighten up the sky.
And while we're on light, you should try to spread the eerie fog better, they kind of clump together now looking like lumps of gray smog.

Level 7
I agree with fladdermasken, (also being monochromatic is a problem I've had).

Behind the walls I'd suggest the main road with laterns and people out and about, would really provide some life in the fog.

Agree completely with the eerie fog, it's just whisps of smog atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.