• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Cinematics : Head Turning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
Hey guys, I've been watching the cinematics of the WC3 campaigns for the sake of my RPG and I noticed on some cinematics that the heads of the default models can turn left / right /up /down and when I took a closer look at their models, they did not have animations with head turning and stuff.. I wasn't able to find any trigger actions concerning that.. So, How in the world did blizzard do it?

222907-albums6224-picture67458.jpg

EDIT: 444th post :D

Level 30
I have just heard and not sure but someone did say that you need to make a dummy of the same unit you want to do the Head turningg within the unit that will do the turning. Like overlapping two same units. I cannot give you a trigger for I dont yet....lol but I did heard this.

Level 30
But, how? If I did that, I will have to hide the body of the dummy coz it'll be visible once it turns.. and I don't know if it's even possible to hide only the body.. XD

I dont know.... but I do know that if two units overlap, they will like be one and if one of the units turn it might make a head turn.....lol but I do not know how you can control the turning of heads.

Level 14
Lock bodypart of unit facing unit. That's the trigger function you should look for. It is in Animation if I recall correctly. Locking a head to a unit will cause the locked head to follow the movement of the unit its locked on....even turning 360 degrees.

I suppose all models have heads yes.
Each model has these things called 'bones'. These bones are used to animate the models... bla bla bla lets skip that.

Anyway, models that do not have 'Bone_Head', will not be able to turn their head. An example of model that do not have that particular bone is my own. Which means the Lock Head action will not work on it.

So juno, the conclusion is not all models have 'head'.

Just as an extra tip, you can slow down their animation speed (there is a function for it under the Animation trigger category) to make the movement of the head gradual rather than instant. You just set it to some low value like 10% or so. This will affect the other animations but you can always just set it back to 100% after the head has moved.

Level 37
Is there a way to lock a more specific bone? For instance, if I had a model with two heads (like an Ogre Lord), could I have a trigger that locks one of them on one unit, and the second head on another?

If the model has different bones for both heads the yes. Otherwise no. You have to check it in a model editor to see the bone names.

Level 10
If the model has different bones for both heads the yes. Otherwise no. You have to check it in a model editor to see the bone names.

I tried giving my model two bones named "Bone_Head" but that didn't work. When I named the second one "Bone_Head01" only the first one was adjusted. I also tried naming one "Bone_Chest" but it seems WE only allows either the head or chest to be locked, not both. Is there a way around this? Perhaps a custom script that could target a bone by name, for example lock "Bone_Head01" to unit A and "Bone_Head02" to unit B?

Sadly, SetUnitLookAt() is kind of limited. You can only lock 1 part at a time. For more info, see:
http://wiki.thehelper.net/wc3/jass/common.j/SetUnitLookAt

The JASS script allows you to specify a bone name, but it appears that the native only accepts Bone_head and Bone_chest (any other non-null input will default to bone_head). The only way to make them both face would be through editing the nodes themselves so that they are linked to the same part (although, I haven't really tinkered with that so I wouldn't know how).

Level 10
Sadly, SetUnitLookAt() is kind of limited. You can only lock 1 part at a time. For more info, see:
http://wiki.thehelper.net/wc3/jass/common.j/SetUnitLookAt

The JASS script allows you to specify a bone name, but it appears that the native only accepts Bone_head and Bone_chest (any other non-null input will default to bone_head). The only way to make them both face would be through editing the nodes themselves so that they are linked to the same part (although, I haven't really tinkered with that so I wouldn't know how).

Hmmm ok, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.