• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Chat Client (Yeah, I was bored)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Displaying what the client is capable of:
115866-albums1034-picture19546.png

~Snap

Level 18
5C5C5C for Hubcool and 8c00f7 for Tank-Commander for whoever wants to use those :p
They picked them.

Opening links and highlighting names by clicking goes a bit weird for me :\
It only works when I click on the bottom of the link/name.

Level 19
Ok, so I don't know if the client is still supported, but I have some problems regarding to connect and use.

First one is this:

166837-albums2159-picture19818.jpg

It doesn't happen very often but sometimes I need to restart the client several times (by restart I mean, close it and open it again) before its successfully connects. I don't know what is wrong here, prephas you can explain?

Secondly, when I finally and successfully connect to the server, it only shows this:

166837-albums2159-picture19819.jpg

It stays like this FOREVER. I mean, I left like that for more than an hour and nothing happened.

So, can you help me solve my problems?

Level 40
1) Probably due to your connection hiccoughing and the client thus only receiving part of the information (this would also explain why restarting several times fixes it). Can't say I know for sure though since I haven't experienced that myself.

2) No idea.

Also, no, it's no longer supported. I was working on a from-scratch client for the new chat, but that was dropped through a combination of my inactivity on the project and my (mostly) leaving THW.

Level 45
Sometimes I have ghost users.. example:
Anarch is talking in chat, but he isnt on my list.

Py didnt have a leave message and was on my list, but it was confirmed by others py left afew minutes ago.

I closed your client, went into hivechat and 5 users were gone. Meaning, about 5 on your client seemed to have left awhile ago and were still listed as there.

I recently got capped. im on a dialup (actual speed 3kbps) shared among 11 people speed.

Level 19
Ok, I understand you're not supporting it anymore, but, could just tell me what this means (I've found this into the errorlog.txt):

Code:
java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "X-Cache: MISS from proxy-*My-proxy-adress*"
	at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Unknown Source)
	at components.ChatHandler.getUserList(ChatHandler.java:222)
	at main.Client$membersListClass.run(Client.java:293)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Level 19
That means it's trying to convert an invalid string (part of the header) to a number.

Alright, then what da hell this has to do with the connection problem?
I mean, the same error(s) appears in the errorlog file whenever I start the client, no matter if it display "Successfully connected to server" or "Failed to parse chat info" ...

I mean, the same error(s) appears in the errorlog file whenever I start the client, no matter if it display "Successfully connected to server" or "Failed to parse chat info" ...

I'll whip up a program that should just print out the header. This might help.

Okay I sent you a PM with a link.

Change the stuff inside LoginInfo.txt to your username and password. Then run the jar.

Copy and paste the stuff you see in the main window. It might take a few seconds so don't close it immediately.

Also please don't distribute this.

Level 19
Done, I've sended you 2 PMs with the things I get when trying to connect.

By the way, Idk why but the main window does not scroll down automatically... I need to scroll down manually everytime when the screen is filled with messages.

Also sometimes I see when someone types something but then immeditily I get disconnected.

I think it has something to do with this:
Code:
[06-23-42] [SYSTEM] Reconnected! 
[06-23-47] [KICK] You need to reopen this page (Authentication mismatch - expected 90.154.2xx.xxx, found 79.110.1xx.xxx) 
[06-23-47] [SYSTEM]
HTTP/1.0 200 OK
[...]
X-Cache: MISS from proxy1.borusia.telecoms.bg
X-Cache: MISS from proxy-main.borusia.telecoms.bg
[06-23-48] [SYSTEM] Reconnected! 
[06-23-53] [KICK] You need to reopen this page (Authentication mismatch - expected 79.110.1xx.xxx, found 90.154.2xx.xxx)

You seem to be switching rapidly between two different IPs :eek:

Level 19
Yes, but you need to show me how :D
Edit: I've found out how, I also have founded some free proxy servers, but everything is the same.
The IP still keeps changing every time in a while (Like every 5 minutes or less) and I get disconnected everytime.

Maybe theres something else I'am missing, dunno, Im still trying to figure out how to fix the problem.

Last edited:
Level 18
My problems with the client:

- Using a drawing tablet somehow makes clicking on links and highlighting names by clicking very difficult. Don't know why, but I can only click on the bottom of the names to open a link.
- It sometimes loses the lobby list, moves the icons and naes to weird positions or flushes it all the time.
- My chat crashes pretty often even when I'm still connected to the Hive.

Level 40
Loses the lobby list: Not sure. Any errors in errorlog.txt?
Icons and names going all over: This is due to people putting certain charsets into the client, as far as I know. I may be able to replace those malformed characters (according to the client) with ?s: actually supporting them is pretty much out of the question as unicode charsets are not exactly small and I would have to package one with the client and have it install to your java.
Chat crashing: as in losing its connection?

--

I'm thinking of just rewriting this from scratch in LISP, but if I did I don't think that I would include icons etc. Maybe for the new chat (if it ever gets released), since the information sent to it isn't so bad.

Level 18
Loses the lobby list: Not sure. Any errors in errorlog.txt?
Icons and names going all over: This is due to people putting certain charsets into the client, as far as I know. I may be able to replace those malformed characters (according to the client) with ?s: actually supporting them is pretty much out of the question as unicode charsets are not exactly small and I would have to package one with the client and have it install to your java.
Chat crashing: as in losing its connection?

--

I'm thinking of just rewriting this from scratch in LISP, but if I did I don't think that I would include icons etc. Maybe for the new chat (if it ever gets released), since the information sent to it isn't so bad.

Sometimes when I open another tab and return to the chat after a while it's all white and the only thing I can do to close it is Ctrl+Alt+Del.
Pyritie told me about the charset problem. No idea what to do with that. Apparently Pyritie also got the loss of the lobby list problem sometimes.

This is what the chat looks like when scrambled up:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin_data/g1zeyw/List.jpg

Level 23
Oh and I remember I had a request. If you could add a "saving preference" in the config file or something, so that it remember what options you have checked and not checked in the tabs menu, and maybe also remember the window size.

I had a problem before, that the chat was basically disconnecting after some time without displaying anything in the error log or saying "connection lost". Apparantly this seem to have been fixed when I changed OS to Windows7 (oddly yes).

Level 40
Sometimes the @ list works fine with unicode, sometimes it doesn't.
The unicode fonts shipped with Java are only partially complete to my knowledge.

Main feature from me I'd like: When the "sound on highlight" thing is checked, make it also play a sound when you are whispered.
Okay. That is literally a two-second change.

--

Preferences: I might get around to it finally.

The unicode fonts shipped with Java are only partially complete to my knowledge.
Yeah but I didn't think random characters would completely break the layout; just be displayed as squares or something.

Okay. That is literally a two-second change.

Okay thanks

Level 18
Well it's the same as Pyritie's with 2 added colors and icons you might like/not like.
I suggest just using the list Pyritie posted if you like it clean.

Level 40
Fixed some minor bugs, added ding to whispers, and made named colours (such as purple) work. The default colour is black if the colour you enter is invalid.

Also, you can now write to the file with the /set colour and /set icon commands by adding w to the end of the field: for example, /set colour uw ... or /set icon rw ....

Status
Not open for further replies.