• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Chaos Orcs and Fel Orcs: Are they the same?

Chaos Orcs and Fel Orcs: Are they the same?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 30
The title says basically everything.

What do you think are the Chaos Orcs (Orcs with just red skin)
Horde_Portal-Sentry.jpg
the same as Outlands Fel Orcs (Orcs with red skin and mutations (Spikes for example) )
Lionar_the_Blood_Cursed.jpg
?

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
I remember reading assumptions that Chaos Orcs were some
early form of Fel Orcs, but even if that was true, they are the same.
Blizzard just decided to change the name in Frozen Throne.

I always prefered the term "Chaos Orcs" over "Fel Orcs".
Who knows, maybe the similarity to Warhammer stuff (WH40K Space Marines and Chaos Space Marines or pretty much EVERYTHING related to Chaos) was too obvious this time?

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Aside from the fact that the name difference is seen between the original game and the expansion, it's also relevant to say Chaos Orcs are seen in Kalimdor whilst Fel Orcs in Draenor.
Now, to further extrapolate. Maybe, Chaos Orcs are those who drank the blood of Mannoroth whilst Fel Orcs didn't or at least mixed it with another demon/pit lord's?

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Weren't all of the Warsongs cured during the third war? I ask, because the picture i used is of an red skinned Orc Horde Portal-Sentry guarding the Dark Portal and that isn't on Kalimdor, but the eastern kingdoms.
Cured? I'm not sure, they were cured, maybe you refer to the ultimate cure? Cured just like that as in the ingame cinematic scene would be a bit... uncalled for.
Grom's last sentence.

Anyways, that orc might be one that came from Draenor after RoC? WoW changed a lot, especially after adding the Fel which creates a lot of controversy since it looks like an evil green energy whilst Chaos (or TFT Fel) was what made eyes glow red and changed the skin to the same colour.

I guess it all adds up to whichever kind of demon blood they drink, maybe infused with other stuff, like magick.

Care to elaborate please? Why would there be any legal issue pertaining a generic fantasy name? I don't think for instance that any of those in the list would be taken as copyright infringement.

A prievous Warcraft 3 game designer Dave who commented on Abelhawk's easter egg videos told him about the name change for legal reasons.

Level 34
XD i was talking about the other ones, but i supposed that the chaos as an demonic/corruptive force is pretty much related with warhammer after all (chaos warriors, chaos goblins, chaos ogres, chaos dragons, chaos dwarves, etc)

Level 12
Chaos orcs on Kalimdor drank the blood of Mannoroth the second time and turned all red. Fel Orcs in Outland, however, are both exposed to intense amounts of Fel Corruption, Nether energies and were drinking demon blood in multiple occasions to increase their raw brute strength. I believe it was even stated somewhere among the quests relating to Fel Orcs in TBC about their origins. Kargath Bladefist is among those to blame for their continued usage of demonic powers/blood I believe, as well as Illidan who used them as pawns.

Overall, Chaos and Fel orcs are not the same lore-wise, of course after Blizzard evolved it in such a way. As for Warlords of Draenor ones, well, I suppose Blizzard went for cool looks there and they surely did a great job with all that greyish-fel combo appearance, but in my honest opinion that change of appearance after one sip of demon blood was a bit over the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.