• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Changed the model size, but animations bugged up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
I've changed the model size to 70% (Hive's Simple Edit Resources Thread), but everything else, like bones, attachment points, animations etc. were left as in the bigger model, and the animations look really buggy. What do I need to do to to fix this? Do I need to change the positions of all the bones or something else? If bone positions need to be changed, what tool can change the scale of the whole bone structure at once (because I don't want to move one by one bone in Mdlvis since it doesnt have the bone scaling option)?

Level 21
Try using Oinkerwinkle's Geoset Translation. It can scale and move entire models. I only used it a couple of times, and it worked for the most part. Note that you have to convert your model to .mdl, since Oinkerwinkle's tools don't work with .mdx. You also need to remember that Y and Z Axes are different than in Magos' Model Editor (Z is Y and Y is Z).

If Geoset Translation doesn't work, you can scale it by adding a global animation to the Bone_Root. The model's mesh would stay the same size, but it will change it's size when any animation is played.

Level 15
Try using Oinkerwinkle's Geoset Translation. It can scale and move entire models. I only used it a couple of times, and it worked for the most part. Note that you have to convert your model to .mdl, since Oinkerwinkle's tools don't work with .mdx. You also need to remember that Y and Z Axes are different than in Magos' Model Editor (Z is Y and Y is Z).
When I use this, I can't convert it back to .mdx, says "Expected a vertex." It also doesn't work in-game as a .mdl.
If Geoset Translation doesn't work, you can scale it by adding a global animation to the Bone_Root. The model's mesh would stay the same size, but it will change it's size when any animation is played.
I don't know how to create such an animation that changes the size. That is, of course, when I learn to make any animations at all.

Level 21
When I use this, I can't convert it back to .mdx, says "Expected a vertex."
Weird... It always worked for me. Have you tried saving the model as a .mdl with Magos?
It also doesn't work in-game as a .mdl.
Use MDLX Converter to switch between .mdl and .mdx. You need to convert .mdl back to .mdx before importing. You only use .mdl for editing with old tools that don't support .mdx.
I don't know how to create such an animation that changes the size. That is, of course, when I learn to make any animations at all.
It's really simple, you can do it with Magos' Model Editor, but first try my suggestion above and tell me if works. If it doesn't work, I'll tell you more about the scaling in animations.

Last edited:
Level 15
Have you tried saving the model as a .mdl with Magos?
Converted it both way with Magos' but no such luck, it seems the Translation program ruins the model somehow. I just set the size to 0.7 in all three axes in it, but something goes wrong. Here's the screenshot I've got after trying to open the .mdl after it was resized in the Translation editor:

Screenshot_5.png

Level 21
Converted it both way with Magos' but no such luck, it seems the Translation program ruins the model somehow. I just set the size to 0.7 in all three axes in it, but something goes wrong. Here's the screenshot I've got after trying to open the .mdl after it was resized in the Translation editor:
Since that didn't work, try this:
1. Open your model in Magos' Model Editor
2. Go to Windows -> Global Sequence Manager
3. Right click anywhere and select 'Create New'
4. Enter a duration. e.g. 1000 and click OK
5. Go to Windows -> Node manager
6. Create a new root bone, and put all existing top-hierarchy bones under that "root" bone. You do that by selecting move left/right from the right click menu. You need to have only one "root" bone on the top of the skeleton hierarchy.
7. Right click that "root" bone and click Edit Node. Click on Scaling. You will see a window with text like this "0: { 1,1,1 }"
If you had worked with GeosetAnims before, then you would know what the text represents. However if you had not, 0 = the frame number while {1,1,1} represents the {X,Y,Z} scaling.
8. Now you will edit it into:
"0: {0.7, 0.7, 0.7}
1000: {0.7, 0.7, 0.7}" (no quotes, and 0.7 scale since it's what you originally wanted)
9. Set the Global Sequence ID to the one that you added in step 4.
10. Now the mesh will be scaled to 70% of it's original size and bones will also scale accordingly, so animation is not messed up.

Last edited:
Level 15
Ah, nice, I guess it can be useful for other stuff that Magos' and Mdlvis can't perform or can't perform well too. But the problem is that I haven't found a MDL -> MDX/MDX -> MDL converter that works and that doesn't ruin the model.

Edit: Mistaken that translation program for the converter, nevermind.

Last edited:
Level 50
Ah, nice, I guess it can be useful for other stuff that Magos' and Mdlvis can't perform or can't perform well too. But the problem is that I haven't found a MDL -> MDX/MDX -> MDL converter that works and that doesn't ruin the model.

Edit: Mistaken that translation program for the converter, nevermind.
Strange, works great for me. I use program Hermit linked you too long time ago and have no problems with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.