• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

change in-game minimap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
i couldn't find a tutorial on it at this site and idk if it's possible...i thought i remembered someone doing it before but perhaps i'm mistaken...

there's these screens...the loading screen and the preview screen...i know how to change those...but something similiar to the preview screen i don't know how to change. the in game minimap view... i found out how to restrict the view to only one region.

but the entire map is still there on the minimap. this is inaccurate. i noticed other maps have done this too.

it's not a big deal if it can't be fixed to be accurate...but if it can, i would like to...and if it cannot be fixed to be accurate...the next best thing we could do is replace the minimap with some image like a preview screen image. the preview screen image replaces the minimap image...so i would think it would be nice to replace the in-game minimap. if it can't be done, it's not a big deal, but it would be cool if it could be done...and i'd like to know how.

Level 13
does it make a difference if it's tga or blp? my other map used tga for the preview. i think the quality is better than blp with tga. nah...guess not(i mean it works with tga). oh whatever. +rep. anyone know how to fix the original problem, though?

edit: doesn'tsound like it's possible...unless there's some trigger idk about.

Level 7
i couldn't find a tutorial on it at this site and idk if it's possible...i thought i remembered someone doing it before but perhaps i'm mistaken...

there's these screens...the loading screen and the preview screen...i know how to change those...but something similiar to the preview screen i don't know how to change. the in game minimap view... i found out how to restrict the view to only one region.

but the entire map is still there on the minimap. this is inaccurate. i noticed other maps have done this too.

it's not a big deal if it can't be fixed to be accurate...but if it can, i would like to...and if it cannot be fixed to be accurate...the next best thing we could do is replace the minimap with some image like a preview screen image. the preview screen image replaces the minimap image...so i would think it would be nice to replace the in-game minimap. if it can't be done, it's not a big deal, but it would be cool if it could be done...and i'd like to know how.

If you mean to dynamically change the in-game minimap image, I did some research on this a while back and I don't think it's possible.

You can change the color of that hideous grey box (in the minimap) it makes for the camera border though.

Level 13
ok, i kinda see what you mean...but i don't get it...i mean. you changed the box from grey to black. what's the point? anyway...so that minimap shown is not your whole map? or is it? i think my white border box covered almost entire minimap when i worked on this. just after making the minimap a tga image file does the white box get small like in your pictures. did you use an image file too? because it doesn't really look like it...so how come your box is small?

Level 7
ok, i kinda see what you mean...but i don't get it...i mean. you changed the box from grey to black. what's the point?

To make it less obvious that you have set the camera bounds. I tried to make it somewhat transparent.

anyway...so that minimap shown is not your whole map? or is it?
The minimap shown there is not representative of the whole map, it is an imported image that i modified for clarity and to remove sections of the map that are used as 'hidden areas'. In normal gameplay, the minimap image is representative of the camera bounded play area.

i think my white border box covered almost entire minimap when i worked on this. just after making the minimap a tga image file does the white box get small like in your pictures. did you use an image file too? because it doesn't really look like it...so how come your box is small?
The 'white border box' that you are curious about is the current camera view in game. From what I understand you cannot modify or get rid of it. It gets smaller when you zoom in or if you are playing on a large map. It gets really large if you are zoomed way out or if you are playing on a really small map, OR if you set your camera bounds to a small area (this is likely the case if your white box is really big).

Level 13
oh yeah...i think i said something incorrect about that white box...yep...thanks for the extra input.

anyways...it sounds like what you just said is kinda what i want to do...and would do...except that i would want to make 25 images and go from one image to the next while playing...thus changing the in-game minimap while playing. that way the image can be kept up to date with whichever zone is being zoomed in on.

Level 7
Yeah, I wanted to do the same thing but I never found evidence that it is even possible (there would probably be a tutorial by now if it was possible). Did you have a particular example map that has a dynamic minimap like that?

I'll look into it some more in the future and get back to you if I ever discover anything.

[rainbow]P.S. I think colored text is refreshing also :p[/rainbow]

Status
Not open for further replies.