• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Night time, group of bandits set up small camp inside cave!

I worked on something and this picture was part of terrain so I decided to share it with you guys!

185870-albums3014-picture38233.png

185870-albums3014-picture38646.jpg

Comments are always welcome.

Last edited:
Those small rocks under the water are ugly, make bigger ones instead, always looked nicer that way.
The green grass near the water doesn't fit in my option, tint it down.
The water is empty, add some life (fishes, grass).
If it isn't a playable terrain you can always add clouds, but tint them down to 15/15/15 and then spam them.
Those same trees are boring, try using different ones.
The cave is pretty much empty there, could use some stalagmites and vines.
On the right side of the picture that big cliff looks like it's hanging, which looks awfully unrealistic, put some rocks underneath (Not small ones, but bigger)
That grass on the ground doesn't fit well with the trees, you should either tint down the grass to yellow/brown to fit the trees or change the trees with some green leafs.
The grass is also boring, add more types of grass, flowers, ferns and etc.
Some larger rocks on the ground could be good, because it will look as if they felt down to the ground from the cliff.
The cliffs could also use some greenish stuff, like grass or some branches.
Add light around the camp fire.
And you can always add some ruins, they will always look good.

You can do much better then this, I know it! ;)

Level 18
Those small rocks under the water are ugly, make bigger ones instead, always looked nicer that way.
The green grass near the water doesn't fit in my option, tint it down.
The water is empty, add some life (fishes, grass).
If it isn't a playable terrain you can always add clouds, but tint them down to 15/15/15 and then spam them.
Those same trees are boring, try using different ones.
The cave is pretty much empty there, could use some stalagmites and vines.
On the right side of the picture that big cliff looks like it's hanging, which looks awfully unrealistic, put some rocks underneath (Not small ones, but bigger)
That grass on the ground doesn't fit well with the trees, you should either tint down the grass to yellow/brown to fit the trees or change the trees with some green leafs.
The grass is also boring, add more types of grass, flowers, ferns and etc.
Some larger rocks on the ground could be good, because it will look as if they felt down to the ground from the cliff.
The cliffs could also use some greenish stuff, like grass or some branches.
Add light around the camp fire.
And you can always add some ruins, they will always look good.

You can do much better then this, I know it! ;)

And now the possitive stuff? xD and you sayed 3 things about grass xD i agree with most of it though but still where is the possitive stuff? :p

Level 23
Positive comments won't help improve the terrain, will they? It will only encourage him to make more next time. It's good but you can do better. :D

With this being said, i can start my comment :p
No, firstoff. This is a decent terrain for sure, however I see some points of possible improvements for sure. Might be the same what Oziris already pointed out at a few things, but hell, underlining will not damage it.
First off, I really like how you putted out the grass onto the tile, giving it a very individual look. However the vines/plants you added to it, stick out a little because there green differs from the rest of the grass, by this they pop out more, unfortunatelly the green tone that they have right now ....is not that beautiful and realisitc....Changing the colour a bit would be really nice here. I do not exactly agree with Oziris about the grass being boring, in fact, yes it is, but this is just great for the terrain, because it DOES FIT the atmosphere here.
However the trees you used look akward. The difference between the big and smaller scaled trees is immense and does not look good unfortunately, also I suggest adding some higher grass or shrubs to the bases of at least some trees, because right now it somehow looks like they just popped out of the ground like spikes. That's not your fault actually...but with a few terraining tricks you can fix what the model does not has on its own. The way you shaped the cave is quite cool, however in my opinion the rocks you used are a little tooo small scaled for the issue resulting in having a ton of rocks, which looks slighty unrealistic for me.
Oziris pointed out, that the cave is way to empty and to a point I do have the same feeling. At least spider webs or vines should give it a touch.
The shoreline has already been mentioned by a lot of users. Let me just say: Try to make it clearer that this IS a shoreline, bigger rocks, maybe some water splash effects or wave, hell, just something, right now, it looks only a tad darker as the rest, and is not pleasing.

Overall, this terrain is a nice start, it has potential, can really be used to get atmosphere and is well chosen, however you need to do a lot of minor tweeks to really get this thing working as a good looking terrain shot.

Keep it up.

M0

Level 7
Nice picture, most of the things what werent so great has already been said, but theres one thing, what i would like to point out.

The lighting around the fire looks to dark, there should be more light( not too much, but still). Atm to light range of fire to too small in my guess, it dosent look so real.

A lot of the suggestions that were given were ignored, too bad.
The whisp spam isn't nice, try adding only few of them and try to make them look less spammed.
Still no glow around the fire.
The mountain is still without vegetation.
No ripped rocks on ground from the cliffs imagined to be above.
The rocks in the water could be more bigger (and around the cave).
The smaller trees you've placed are nice but you over placed them.
Inside of the cave still seems boring.

Looks slightly better but not much.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Frankly, I say you still have to make the shoreline rocks bigger, I still get the feeling they're floating on top of the surface.
Furthermore, the reeds should definitely be tinted down to match the color scheme, as of now they stick out too much.
Lastly, it looks odd for such a large tree to grow so close to the shore.
I hope you'll update this, becaise I do believe it's a nice concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.