• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Catch-all Questioning for my Map in Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Quite simply, I'm working on a huge map project -an Open RPG to be exact- with varible leveling, many items, lots of quests, etc. But, there's a snag: I've never really touched WorldEdit, and as such, don't know JASS.

Allow me to lay my cards on the table. I have done plenty of map editing for StarCraft under the name DemonicDragon. In fact, for any of the SCUMS veterans, I was part of channel &Z. I know my way around the editor, and WorldEdit doesn't look too tough, I'm just looking for suggestions at what to look at to get my map working (Or offers of help, whatever I can get. :wink:)

I've been digging around wc3sear.ch to see what people have done but the amount of information is overwhelming. So, without further ado, here's what I'm after:

- Inventory System
--- A small, isolated area in the corner for a 'stash', and...
--- A two-page hero inventory with 'equipment' items filling one page, and six slots for quick access of potions and the like.

- Leveling System
--- A single hero that levels from 1 to 100, and can take a collection of "professions" to add new skills and stats.
--- I was planning to pull this off by having the hero have zero for stat growth, and then through dummy-buttons and triggers, add a certain amount to stats depending on the job the player takes. Then use an ESC menu to let players sift through skills available and put 5-7 on their hero for current use.

- Quest System
--- A quest system that would support independent quest lists, so that Player 1 could get a quest, and the other players wouldn't see it until they got it too.

- Save/Load System that could handle all of this.

Other than these four (quite large) parts, I shouldn't have any trouble getting this map done. So, any help or suggestions would be accepted thankfully.

Level 8
Inventory System: Possible, easy, do it yourself.
Leveling System: Possible, easy, do it yourself.
Quest System: You need to use GetLocalPlayer() jass fuction (do some research) and also be very careful not to async map. Probably impossible without experience.
Save/Load System: http://wc3sear.ch/index.php?p=Spells&ID=1788 and you'll have to add save code for quests (if you want quests to be saved) and additional items

Level 3
He wouldn't have to use LocalPlayer() for the quest system. He could just use GetOwningPlayer() a bunch of times and store information based on player IDs. It could be ugly, and probably slow, but safer against desyncs.

As for the skill system, keep the hotkeys in mind. If you want the players to use hotkeys with abilities, make sure their hero doesn't end up with two abilities that both use the same key. Not necessarily hard to do, just something to keep in mind. A map feels more complete when you can properly use hotkeys.

Level 8
>He wouldn't have to use LocalPlayer() for the quest system. He could just use GetOwningPlayer() a bunch of times and store information based on player IDs. It could be ugly, and probably slow, but safer against desyncs.

Nope. Quest creation triggers don't take player as argument. Just like sound triggers.

Status
Not open for further replies.