• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

new project in progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
for those of you that havent already played Dragon Warrior Monsters by Enix (released back in 99 or 2000 for gameboy color) here's the storyline:

Terry wakes up one night to watch his older sister (the only thing that means anything in his life) get dragged into a portal by some mysterious creature. a few minutes later another creature reveals himself to Terry as Watabou, who claims that Terrys sister was dragged to another dimension to be trained as a monster breeder by Warabou (Watabou's evil brother)

OUR story takes place along the same time period, where the breeders from different areas of the world breed and pit their monsters against rival areas.

for simplicity sake our story will almost exactly follow the trials of Terry, including The Kingdom of Great Tree (which unfortunately right now looks like a misshapen cliffside), 215 unique monsters to control (including boss monsters if you follow the storyline, most boss monsters only available through breeding), 154 unique spells for those monsters (base of 3 plus any learned by their "parents"), 33 items, and a unique male/female breeding system as there was in the origional game. 3 monsters at a time for each trainer and as of right now there will be 9 player slots. the "map" per-say is actually comprised battling areas(advanced fff style), the Kingdom of Great Tree (which is actually insanely huge for many players standards), and the "adventure" section for randomized mapping for a new experience every run into another portal.

right now I've completed to the best of my abilities the terrain, the remaining 5% for extra space i may deem necessary later on. I've already chosen many models for many units. and already have set out on notepad the entire 46225 possible combinations for the breeding of monsters. (it may seem like alot but it really is not.)

plan of action:
1.place units into game, even without their custom models as of yet.
2.place the leveling/stat system for the monsters
3.place the customized spells and attach those spells with the proper units
4.begin placing random map sections into play for use in beta releases (possibly a beta release once this is completed?)
5.place the breeding system (as i noted i have already completed the charts, just need to actually put them into play)
6.set up the saving and loading code. please understand that though i understand codes and how they work quite well, it may take a few tries before i get a code under 30 or 35 digits (you cant imagine how much information is being poured into them)
7.once this is done to satisfaction i will then begin involving the storyline to the quests, while any chance i get I'll collect more randomized maps for use in the game.

i plan to finish with at very least 30 or 40 different maps playable. each layer to the adventures is a seperate map, and even though you get the same map 2 times when seen in different sections it will have different appearances.

i would like to thank -Raptor right now for the Dynamic Tilesets idea and map he presented for me to study, it has been of great help.

and i would like to also thank many of the people that have submitted the models to WC3s, without them this would just be generally regarded as another Pokemon (god forbid anyone that thinks that...though they do share some qualities)

Want to help? PM me or send a message to any of the messengers listed in my profile. Bnet East TFT account: Minkorok I've been working on this map instead of playing for the last few days (yeah i got the terrain and 80% of the ideas done just today) and i plan to continue as such until at very least a beta is released, when i can see what kind of population it recieves from Bnet, so I'll be on my messengers if I'm not asleep or at work.

Any questions? Comments? oh who am i kidding no one reads this far down anyways. :p

Level 4
totally. it will be very simple yet time consuming.. I've already tested in another map as to how it would work... i was just playing around then, and thats what got me all cought up in this thought.

Level 6
Be happy the items are VERY easy to make, at least :p...

How exactly are you going to do the breeding system? Say I breeded a Slime with a Dragonkid, the DrakSlime with a Crestpent, then the result with a Phoenix, then the skills would be... erm... messy...

Level 4
this is one of the reasons the *grrr* save/load code will take a while to shorten. each spell will be listed with an alphanumeric code. maximum spell limit available will be like 6 or so most likely.

slime learns: fireball, Radient, MegaMagic
dragonkid learns: fireair, Sleepair, Dodge
drakslime learns: fireair, suckair, bedragon
crestpent learns: stopspell, poisonhit, bedragon
phoenix learns: squallhit, fireair, tailwind
wingslime learns: tailwind, squallhit, windbeast

taking into consideration the monsters had recieved all the skills before being bred, the more or less coding would seem something like this:
(sorry for those of you that wont understand me)

slime=abc //3 skills learned abc standing for that combination of skills
dragonkid=def //as above
drakslime(slime and dragonkid combo)-ghi //the 6 skills from the combination

once leveled drakslime tould have 8 total spells so 2 would be lost as he leveled(the fireair wont duplicate). you pick which stay and which go.

drakslime=ghi //same creature still as before with same 6 skills
crestpent=jkl //seeing as no breeding before this creature still has only 3 skills
drakslime(drakslime and crestpent combo)=mno //11 available, 6 you have, 2 were not duplicated

drakslime(2)=mno
phoenix=pqr //probably has more than 3 at this but is listed here as a basic unbred monster
wingslime(drakslime and phoenix combo)=stu //unless i counted wrong he had 13 available skills, only 6 of which can be chosen and 4 that were duplicated.

-------
on a side note this is a "tier 3 bred monster" and would be eligible for level 99 max. also depending on the stats he should be around 4 times more powerful than your average run of the mill monster of the same type you would find in the lesser dungeons.

any more questions? this is fun ^^

og i almost forgot... the spells will be built as 1 level spells that will be given to your monster through triggers, not something you put a point into.
and the majority of the spells are upgrades to the base spells depending on your Mana points, level, and other spells you know (eg. 'UltraDown' spell once you have enough mana to use it if you already know Defense, Surround, and SlowAll)

Level 6
This is a random thought. You should make their custom values their max level, so inside the level-restriction trigger you could make it that...

Event - A hero levels up

Actions
If LevelofHero = CustomValueOfHero
Then Set Experience Gain for the hero = 0

blabla, can't remember the exact trigger though. One last thing... are you going to include the dungeon that was unreachable 'cept by a gameshark? >_<

Level 4
actually i currently have it jotted down to set the max level on a requirement of 4 set: you max is either 39, 59, 75, 99, or 198 (198 to keep me from having to add yet another digit to the code and keep my sanity. and thats if i dont cut it down further back to 99) I've recognised custom values causing more lag in previous games i've worked on but never really released than basic variables anywho.

as far as that new dungeon... gimme a game-map of it and I'll input it as a side adventure after you complete the entire quest or something :) (never had a gameshark back when i played so i have no clue as to what that is lol) even give ya credit for finding it for me :)

Level 4
hmm.. since its not a preset stage like the lost forest or the conveyor belt maze, that would be pretty easily doable. only problem are the screens, I'll be working in the 3x3 maps only for this version at least.

and by the way that IS something you can get to without the gameshark... the GS just makes it more easily accessable... i know because i remember getting down around 75 levels before getting slaughtered by a divinegon, mirudras, and goldslime group that equaled my own ability (owned by one of those damned wandering warriors none the less)

I'll be creating "sets" of maps and more or less just telling the triggers to remove everything, reset the floor tiles, and place w/e i want depending on the random map picked) into areas. go check out "the whispering Isles" or something by raptor... he's the guy that gave me the dynamic tileset ability in the first place... should clear a few things up about this.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT-

ok now that I've placed in the 33 items and 215 monsters (still looking for something good to use as the model for the trainer(s)) i can update my signature :p

also new changes: looks like all the maps are going to be built around 4x4 squares instead of 3x3. this gives more interesting possibilities in the maps, though making each section slightly smaller (still takes 5-6 seconds minimum to walk from one section to the other in each map)

the number of memorized abilities (trigger memorized for your monsters to learn) may be shortened to keep the code from jumping another 12 digits (4 and 3 monsters each) - it just didnt work the way i origionally figured it could. currently playing with a few other thoughts that may or may not work. if anyone would like to help out with some thoughts feel free to, would save me alot of time (i can still impliment them). currently 6 spells per creature and 64 possible spells that the code must remember (per monster remember so trying to keep it as short as possible.) oh, and that doesnt include the upgrades to those spells.
the simplest thing offhand i can remember i wrote is having 4 spells max each, but would then be required for selection as soon as the monster is bred, and minimum breeding level possibly lowered to level 5 or 6 so that it would be faster to breed the skills into play. almost as though as soon as it is born, it begins to "study" those techniques, and you choose which it focuses on.

as always questions and comments are gladly accepted.

Level 4
hmm.. since its not a preset stage like the lost forest or the conveyor belt maze, that would be pretty easily doable. only problem are the screens, I'll be working in the 3x3 maps only for this version at least.

and by the way that IS something you can get to without the gameshark... the GS just makes it more easily accessable... i know because i remember getting down around 75 levels before getting slaughtered by a divinegon, mirudras, and goldslime group that equaled my own ability (owned by one of those damned wandering warriors none the less)

I'll be creating "sets" of maps and more or less just telling the triggers to remove everything, reset the floor tiles, and place w/e i want depending on the random map picked) into areas. go check out "the whispering Isles" or something by raptor... he's the guy that gave me the dynamic tileset ability in the first place... should clear a few things up about this.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT-

ok now that I've placed in the 33 items and 215 monsters (still looking for something good to use as the model for the trainer(s)) i can update my signature :p

also new changes: looks like all the maps are going to be built around 4x4 squares instead of 3x3. this gives more interesting possibilities in the maps, though making each section slightly smaller (still takes 5-6 seconds minimum to walk from one section to the other in each map)

the number of memorized abilities (trigger memorized for your monsters to learn) may be shortened to keep the code from jumping another 12 digits (4 and 3 monsters each) - it just didnt work the way i origionally figured it could. currently playing with a few other thoughts that may or may not work. if anyone would like to help out with some thoughts feel free to, would save me alot of time (i can still impliment them). currently 6 spells per creature and 64 possible spells that the code must remember (per monster remember so trying to keep it as short as possible.) oh, and that doesnt include the upgrades to those spells.
the simplest thing offhand i can remember i wrote is having 4 spells max each, but would then be required for selection as soon as the monster is bred, and minimum breeding level possibly lowered to level 5 or 6 so that it would be faster to breed the skills into play. almost as though as soon as it is born, it begins to "study" those techniques, and you choose which it focuses on.

as always questions and comments are gladly accepted.

Status
Not open for further replies.