• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Car wars, SC2 or WC3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Hello.

I've just released my first map for WC3 and have been happy with the response. I would now like to move on to a new map using a custom physics system to model car battles. Think Death Race, or Autoduel, or the old Steve Jackson Car Wars game. I want cars making tight turns and losing control, sliding on ice, getting hit from the side and spinning in circles, etc.

I am now deciding on whether to make this game in the WC3 world editor or in the SC2 galaxy editor. I've been listing the positives and negatives, but there are a few points I really think I could use your help on.

1. Just how terrible is the SC2 editor? I just started going over a tutorial on youtube to make a simple hero. It seems insanely complicated and the SC2 editor has crashed 4 times already. I'm actually writing this waiting on what I assume is crash 5 in progress. I wanted to make a simple fireball ability and ended up having to make an ability, an actor (which seems entirely useless), an effect, a unit (which I believe is the bullet), and it took about 30 minutes and 3 crashes. I could have done that in WC3 in 3 minutes.

2. I know very little about computers. My car game will require a lot of processing: each car will probably be moved manually with one of those period every .02 second triggers. I want car momentum to be real. I also need to keep track of each car's traction, movement up and down a hill, and the torque put on it by its turn if it is turning... I originally thought that SC2 is a better game, so it can handle more computations and such. But on the other hand SC2 uses much better graphics, so maybe it would strain players' computers more. In short, if you have a very complicated triggered game, would it be easier to play in WC3 or SC2?

3. What is the player base for SC2 vs. WC3 games? I assumed WC3 was dying, but the map I just released actually got a couple hundred downloads in a week, which I thought was fantastic. Are people out there playing SC2 games?

4. What are the chances that Blizzard is going to buff and tweak the SC2 editor? I remember the old days of extracting MPQ files in order to change the text on abilities in the WC3 editor. The early world editor was positively terrible, so if the SC2 editor is going to get way better maybe I should wait before switching to it.

Anyway, I just wanted some general feedback. Thanks everyone!

Level 19
I love that map already, I do hope you'll continue modding in Warcraft III and if possible, continue at Starcraft II as well.
Heh everyone should experience that nice game. If you need help we'll gladly provide you with it:)

Level 19
True.
I'll help you with it on the World Editor if you're planning to do it in there.
Although you'll need some advanced help for the Galaxy Editor, but both editors are fine either way hehe.
Hope you'll continue it in Warcraft III for the community:)

Level 7
Just downloaded your BfT map, will try it later, anyway yes SC2 is a hugely popular game, WC3 is probabaly slowly loosing its player base like all old games but won't truely die until they bring out WC4.

I just realised this dosnt answer your question very well.

Level 19
Starcraft II and Warcraft III are both quite popular currently though, and I personally believe that the player base would increase in the coming years, as long as better mods and such are made, so yeah, it's your choice:)

Status
Not open for further replies.