• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Can't use the editor :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
As the title says, I can't use the editor. I decided to go back and work on a map I started way back during the beta, was bored. Installed SC2 (old installer I had, again from the beta) and booted up the map editor. But every time I try to log in, it says it's expired. Is this because I don't have the game (Never bought it, hated Bnet too much to buy it), and if so is there a way around it? I shouldn't have to shell out 60 bucks just to toil around in the editor.

Level 3
I can't even do that, I didn't wanna publish maps or anything, just wanted to work on mine. But as soon as I open the editor it brings up a log-in prompt, and when I log in it says my subscription has expired, so I can't even edit my map.

Level 3
Y'know, the smug "let me google that for you" only works if you actually provide an answer for the question. I know all about the log-in thing, infact I mentioned it in my original post. What I CAN'T find (and what your link didn't provide as well) is how do I get past that. I'm NOT spending 60 dollars on a game just so I can use it's editor, that's stupid. I don't want the game, nor have any desire to play it, I just want to work on my map. So I need a way to deal with the log-in that isn't shelling out money I don't have, for a product I don't want.

Y'know, the smug "let me google that for you" only works if you actually provide an answer for the question. I know all about the log-in thing, infact I mentioned it in my original post. What I CAN'T find (and what your link didn't provide as well) is how do I get past that. I'm NOT spending 60 dollars on a game just so I can use it's editor, that's stupid. I don't want the game, nor have any desire to play it, I just want to work on my map. So I need a way to deal with the log-in that isn't shelling out money I don't have, for a product I don't want.

Well then you're "NOT" going to access the Galaxy Editor.
It's a pretty basic concept:
1) Buy Game
2) Install Game
3) Play Game
4) Use Game's Features

Edit: Also.. if you had looked on the first link provided in the "Let me google that for you" and had read the second post, it clearly states a way to get past it, which was accessible only when the patch containing this feature originally came out. If you continue to read, you will find that you cannot, under any circumstances, get past the log in screen.

Next time.. instead of wasting forum space, and also wasting our (the reader's) time, do some Googling.

Level 3
Well then you're "NOT" going to access the Galaxy Editor.
It's a pretty basic concept:
1) Buy Game
2) Install Game
3) Play Game
4) Use Game's Features

You imply I want to use the game's features, I don't. I want to use the Editor, which is a seperate entity, and has been a seperate entity in every one of Blizzard's games. If I planned on actually playing the game, what you're saying would have merit, but Battlenet sucks, and screws over custom content so hard, it's not worth my money. However the editor is good, and I still have a map I wanna finish. Now tell me, would YOU pay 60 bucks for a map editor? Yeah, didn't think so.

Level 3
And if I have no intention nor desire to use the game? The map editor is -NOT- a feature of the game, it is -NOT- built into the game. If it was a feature of the game, you'd access it through ingame, not a seperate .exe in the SC2 folder. The Map Editor is an entirely seperate thing, like in every other blizzard game. Using it doesn't allow me to play SC2, it doesn't allow me to use anything in SC2 beyond the map editor. So why the fuck should I pay for it?

You wouldn't pay 60 bucks for a map editor, you said so yourself. So it's unreasonable to expect other people to do so. It's this type of shit that validates pirates, I swear. When companies pull bullshit like this, not only does it screw over valid customers more then pirates, but it's just cheap. They nickle and dime you straight to hell. I shouldn't have to pay for a goddamned map editor, and I sure as hell wont. Sigh, hate when companies get too big, they start screwing over everyone. This is why I didn't buy the game, and don't plan to.

Again.. you must own a copy of StarCraft II to use the Galaxy Editor in any way/shape/form. Therefor.. it is a feature of the game. It doesn't matter how you access it.. it comes down to the very basic fact that You. Must. Own. The. Game. To. Use. It.

Stop being so f---in cheap.

I'm no longer posting here.

Buy the game and use the editor or don't.

Stop wasting reader's time.

Level 3
You might have 60 dollars to throw down the toilet, but I don't. It's not being "cheap" to not buy something you'll never use. But whatever, screw it, I'll go find a crack. Hurray for Blizzard being penny-pinching cunts, and you for defending their Kotick ways :|

Level 11
And if I have no intention nor desire to use the game? The map editor is -NOT- a feature of the game, it is -NOT- built into the game. If it was a feature of the game, you'd access it through ingame, not a seperate .exe in the SC2 folder. The Map Editor is an entirely seperate thing, like in every other blizzard game. Using it doesn't allow me to play SC2, it doesn't allow me to use anything in SC2 beyond the map editor. So why the fuck should I pay for it?
Actually, it does let you play SC2 against computers via the test map feature. If you are trying to claim that you want to make maps just for the sake of coding them and not being able to play or test them in any way, shape, or form, I have a really hard time believing that.

But if you are testing them, then you are playing games in the SC2 engine. You could easily ask your friends to send you the campaign, so you could play that too.

Trying to say that Blizzard is greedy because they don't feel like specifically catering to players like you who aren't even buying their game is pretty stupid. Oh yeah, also, I don't think the world editor could be used for free either (legally).

Finally, your note on piracy.

So basically, because you think that it shouldn't cost $60 to use their editor, you think you should get it for free. After all, it's not like people actually put effort into creating the editor. Like it or not, the editor is a part of the game. People put effort into making it into what it is, because it's their job, because they are getting paid for it. It isn't their job or their responsibility or their moral obligation to provide you with free things out of the kindness of their own hearts.

In short, if you don't want to pay $60 for the map editor, don't use the map editor. Doing anything but that is arrogant and immature (and whining on a forum about how "penny-pinching cunts" simply don't want to provide you with free services really doesn't help your case).

Level 3
Actually, it does let you play SC2 against computers via the test map feature. If you are trying to claim that you want to make maps just for the sake of coding them and not being able to play or test them in any way, shape, or form, I have a really hard time believing that.

But if you are testing them, then you are playing games in the SC2 engine. You could easily ask your friends to send you the campaign, so you could play that too.

Trying to say that Blizzard is greedy because they don't feel like specifically catering to players like you who aren't even buying their game is pretty stupid. Oh yeah, also, I don't think the world editor could be used for free either (legally).

Finally, your note on piracy.

So basically, because you think that it shouldn't cost $60 to use their editor, you think you should get it for free. After all, it's not like people actually put effort into creating the editor. Like it or not, the editor is a part of the game. People put effort into making it into what it is, because it's their job, because they are getting paid for it. It isn't their job or their responsibility or their moral obligation to provide you with free things out of the kindness of their own hearts.

In short, if you don't want to pay $60 for the map editor, don't use the map editor. Doing anything but that is arrogant and immature (and whining on a forum about how "penny-pinching cunts" simply don't want to provide you with free services really doesn't help your case).

Your idea that I could use the editor to play the game, while technically valid, really isn't. It's FAR easier to just crack the game itself and play it. I mean when it first came out, that's how I played the campaign. So if blizzard really was worried about pirates, they should find ways to keep their game from being cracked, not put unnecessary restrictions on the editor.

Also, EVERY editor for EVERY blizzard game could be used independently, legally, without the game itself. And that's the main reason why I'm upset now. Never before has blizzard forced people to pay to use their editors, so why now? THAT is why I consider it greedy, not because they're charging for something they made, but because they've never charged for it before.

When a company who, by no means, needs money yet turns around and starts charging people for things they use to get for free, yeah, I take exception. And it's that kind of behavior that kept me from buying SC2 to begin with. I did pre-order the game, it's how I got into the beta after all. But after seeing how shit Bnet is when it comes to custom content, and the various things Blizzard was doing, I didn't feel SC2 warranted my money.

In short, because they're big and powerful, and simply because they can. Blizzard started charging people for something they use to get for free. And you can defend them all you want, but that's the very essence of penny-pinching, when you nickel and dime your consumers on every little thing. If they never use to force people to buy the editor (directly or indirectly), then why start now? If they had ALWAYS forced people to buy the game to use the editor, then fine, you'd have a point. But they haven't. And it's this kind of cheap money-grubbing behavior that makes me glad I didn't buy SC2, don't want to support companies who do that kind of shit.

Level 11
Also, EVERY editor for EVERY blizzard game could be used independently, legally, without the game itself.
I wanted to verify this, so I looked at the EULA for WC3. It states that the use of the editor is subject to the exact same license as the game.

If you could provide a link or something legally showing that you can use the editor without the game, go for it. Considering that the WC3 editor used ingame assets and ran the game in order to test it, I don't think you really could.

What I think is going on here is that Blizzard never had the power to enforce people from using the editor without owning the game (SC1 editor doesn't really count, since there were 3rd party editors and it sucked pretty badly). Now, they've decided to start doing that.

If you can actually show how people were able to edit maps with a Blizzard editor legally without purchasing the game, then you could have a point.

As technology is improved, so is the ability to prevent pirating.
For argument's sake, you never had to assign CD-keys to a battle.net account and REQUIRE the login of such account to access the game, but now you do.
And look what's happend! People can't share CD-keys anymore (not only just for online play, even though they couldnt both use it at the same time, but also for single player play as well).
This forces people to actually go out and spend money on Blizzard's hard worked-for software. That is after all why there is even a Blizzard to begin with.

You're going offtopic now...

Anyway, you can't legally use the editor if you haven't purchased the game. The Editor uses assets from the game, config files, EVERYTHING the game uses. Sure, you can play Sc2 if you delete the editor. But not vice versa. And that was made to avoid having people pirate it.

So, simply, let someone install it in your computer, and let them log in. Then you will be able to use the guest feature, but i think it still breaks the EULA.

Level 3
As technology is improved, so is the ability to prevent pirating.
For argument's sake, you never had to assign CD-keys to a battle.net account and REQUIRE the login of such account to access the game, but now you do.
And look what's happend! People can't share CD-keys anymore (not only just for online play, even though they couldnt both use it at the same time, but also for single player play as well).
This forces people to actually go out and spend money on Blizzard's hard worked-for software. That is after all why there is even a Blizzard to begin with.

All that does is hurt paying customers, it doesn't affect pirates in any way, shape or form. So you're basically defending something that screws over the very people keeping the company in business. Pirates don't NEED cd keys, or accounts to play the game, that's what cracks are for.

Regardless, I got the editor working and am happily working on my map, so this topic is a moot point.

Level 3
Cracks disable your ability to play online or update.
GG.

B-but... I said I had no desire to buy the game, and subsequently, no desire to play the game. Why do I care if it disables my ability to play online or update? I said from the get-go, I simply wanted to work on my map. And now I can :)

Level 14
Why make something for a game when your not going to play it. Seriously, that means your wasting your time, and plus, if you indeed to 'pirate' the game that is crime. The editor is basicly an add-on, many games don't have editor. And plus if the SC2 Galaxy Editor was a third party one go ahead, but it was made by blizzard so buy the game or go and cry.

Level 3
Why make something for a game when your not going to play it. Seriously, that means your wasting your time, and plus, if you indeed to 'pirate' the game that is crime. The editor is basicly an add-on, many games don't have editor. And plus if the SC2 Galaxy Editor was a third party one go ahead, but it was made by blizzard so buy the game or go and cry.

Creating things is often just as fun as playing them. Figuring out how to make things work, how to get my vision into the editor, it's fun and a good way to pass the time. And who knows, maybe by the time I'm finished with my map, they'll have fixed Battlenet so it's not pure shit anymore, and I might buy the game.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Read the beta ToU agreement you agreed to and you have your answer.

As the beta is over, the beta should not be used anymore and be removed from your machine.

If you want to continue editing, you will have to face the fact that it was just a beta (not a free gift) and buy the game.
For your knowledge, a beta is not a demo. It is a prerelease version of the game meant for testing and feedback rather than as a free version to try out the game. Once the beta period ends (or if the producer removes you from the beta) you will have to buy the product to use it.

Level 3
If I had any intention of playing the game, I'd buy it, I'd have to. I've never heard of a crack that lets you play Bnet. But until they fix Battlenet, the game isn't worth buying, aslong as they continue to screw over custom content and the people who make it, SC2 can go to hell. Luckily for me, Bnet doesn't ruin the editor aswell, so I'm free to enjoy myself making maps, even if I wont ever play them.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Yes however the fact still remains that inorder to use the editor you must buy atleast 1 region of the game and unless you do so you are violating laws which may or may not have serious real life reprocutions on you. Also a lot of this nonsense people have with the new battlenet is totally blown out of proportion. It has problems but WC3 had equally as many if not more.

Half the game is the editor, so they have a major reason to protect it with logins as that represents a serious investment of their resources. Pirating SC2 and using its editor is as serious an offense as pirating and playing the actual game.

Further more, your argument is not very solid. The game is so bad yet you want it so much? If using the editor means so much to you that you are willing to spend dozens of hours infront of it expelling your imagination into playable form, why are you calling the game bad? You see you are kind of contradicting yourself when talking about the editor.

I conclude saying you should eithor not touch the game at all because it is bad (your opinion not mine) or you should buy the game and get your money's worth out of the editor (even if you do not play the real game). Making excuses justifying piracy of good products in the open is not justifiable.

Level 3
Yes however the fact still remains that inorder to use the editor you must buy atleast 1 region of the game and unless you do so you are violating laws which may or may not have serious real life reprocutions on you. Also a lot of this nonsense people have with the new battlenet is totally blown out of proportion. It has problems but WC3 had equally as many if not more.

Half the game is the editor, so they have a major reason to protect it with logins as that represents a serious investment of their resources. Pirating SC2 and using its editor is as serious an offense as pirating and playing the actual game.

Further more, your argument is not very solid. The game is so bad yet you want it so much? If using the editor means so much to you that you are willing to spend dozens of hours infront of it expelling your imagination into playable form, why are you calling the game bad? You see you are kind of contradicting yourself when talking about the editor.

I conclude saying you should eithor not touch the game at all because it is bad (your opinion not mine) or you should buy the game and get your money's worth out of the editor (even if you do not play the real game). Making excuses justifying piracy of good products in the open is not justifiable.

WC3 may have had problems, and if Blizzard fix's Bnets problems this time around, then so be it. But I have yet to hear them say they'll fix the abomination that is Bnet 2.0.

Also, how am I contradicting myself? You seem to think the editor and the game are the same thing, they are not. I have said numerous times that the editor is great, and I like it, so I use it. That doesn't mean I like the game, though. I mean going off your logic, if you like Chess you must love Football, as they're both sports. The editor and the game are so astronomically different, to even consider comparing them is laughable at best. Just because I enjoy creating maps with the editor, doesn't mean I like the game.

So in the end, it's simply not logical to spend money on a product you do not like, nor will use. If they wanna sell the editor seperately for say, 5 bucks, then sure, I'll buy it. What the fuck, right? But the editor is -NOT- worth 60 bucks, nowhere near infact. If you live your life, throwing money down the drain by buying things you can neither afford, nor will ever use, that's your business. But I'm a little more careful in what I purchase. If you feel so strongly on the subject, however, you can always buy the game and give me the cd key :D

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
The editor and the game are the same, they use the same data set which is infact largly what you are paying for. Proof of this is by the fact blizzard is not giving a free download link to the editor that does not need an SC2 attached account to log in and use.

Chess and football is a plain stupid comparision as that has nothing to do with what I am saying and shows that there is some communication barrier between us which I will now try and close.

You just have to grasp that nowdays stuff comes in packages. When you buy microsoft office you get both word and excel. You are however paying for both even if you only need excel (lets pretend that is the SC2 editor). You do not have an option to buy them separatly and as such if you want to use one you will have to buy them both.

Now what you are saying is that you should only have to pay for microsoft word, and be able to use excel for free. That makes no sense at all as both are equally as important to some people and can even alone justify the cost of the whole package.

Now for the moral delema you should be suffering. If you use the editor for 120 hours or more, you can not argue that you did not enjoy it or like it. Infact the amount of time you spend infront of the editor may end up more than the time you spend infront of many other games. Thus even if you never touch the main game you will still get a hell of a lot of money's worth out of it.

So to recap, the editor and the game are part of the same package which can not be sold separatly and thus if you want one you will have to pay for the other as well. The editor will provide you with a lot of hours of enjoyment which would give simlar returns to an actual game. On top of that once you do get your money's worth out of the editor you can always play the game as a bonus (even if you hate it).

If they wanna sell the editor seperately for say, 5 bucks, then sure, I'll buy it.
If they were to sell it separatly I would imagine both the game and the editor in stand alone form would be somewhere in the price range of 35-45$ (with the joint package of the two being cheaper than both separatly ofcourse to match comercial practices). Just because something is an editor does not mean it is valueless. Many comercial CAD software cost 10000$ per year per liscence and all they can do is design stuff (the physical production software is sold separatly and needs expensive machines). I seriously think you are underestimating the value of the editor as it is not just the editor, it is the editor + all the resources (art, sounds etc) that come with the game (and thus are part of its value).

75% of the reason people will buy both expansions (like me) will be due to the additional art alone (if it matches TFT quantity) and less so the new features.

Level 3
Well every person is different. As much as I may like the editor, it's not worth 60 bucks in my mind. And using your Microsoft word/excel example, if I needed one but didn't need the other, there's plenty of free downloads to use. In this modern age companies can try to force us to buy things we don't want, luckily for us there's always free alternatives.

Besides, it's not my practice to support broken shit. If I did buy the game soley for the editor, they'd still go "The GAME was soled" not "The editor was soled" and inevitably they'd view it as SC2 being successful. I'm not going to give them an extra sale of something so broken, if they want my money they can fix their broken as shit battlenet.

It's sad to because all the time I bash the game, I really don't mean it. The GAME itself is everything I expect from Blizzard, but battlenet, and Blizzard's practices are what's driving me away. They cut out so much content, and forced us to do what they want, I hate it. I always likd their games because of the freedom they provided, but SC2 takes that freedom away. No more chat channels, no more clan support, no more hosting games, no more seeing if maps even have people playing them (seriously? Popularity system sucks), having Blizzard tell us what we can and can not see in our maps, forcung us to use their servers to host our maps.

I hate having my freedoms usurped needlessly, if they had made the publishing system OPTIONAL, I'da bought the game, but they didn't. They had to go and force us all to abide by their rules, and their practices. Well fuck them, I don't like their rules and wont follow them because they're stupid, so they can go without my money. If they ever fix these issues (which I SERIOUSLY doubt since they're core mechanics of Bnet), then I'll buy the game. Not until then.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Yes, so you should actually stick by your word and not use anything (even the editor) of the game until they make it worth it in your opinion.

Frankly SC2 is no worse than WC3:RoC when it came out. There you could not even make custom abilities, damage units via triggers or even code in JASS inside the editor.

To me it looks like Battlenet 2.0 was rushed through its production process meaning its incomplete. I am prety sure it will change a lot over the future though as even the WoW battlenet has been changing over time. They already have promised chat and group functionality however I would not be suprized if that eventually gets pushed back all the way to heart of the swarm expansion (where it may or may not be back ported to wings of liberty).

I however feel the game is worth it purly due to the future potential of it even if right now it is not 100%. If blizzard keeps its promises and does improve battlenet (which currently is schedualed for around christmass) my investments would pay off even more.

Frankly there are a ton of worse games you could dump 60$ into (like DLC sinkholes or the lattest games from stardock) but I also agree that there are probably better ones to if you have major personal compatibility problems with what Blizzard has done.

The fact still remains that pirating this game to use the editor is still no morally acceptable solution and it frankly would make you seem a bit of an ass (please excuse me for saying) if you did. Eithor buy the game and use it however you choose or stick by your words and not touch the game until they have updated it to be acceptable to your requirements.

Level 3
IF they fix what's broke, I'll happily buy it. As I said, the game itself is good, but battlenet is pure trash. The problem is, I don't see them fixing it. Sure they might add in chat, but they'll never remove the publishing system, or the popularity system. They're the very core of what bnet 2.0 is. And if they don't remove such blatantly broken and shitty systems, bnet will always be shit.

And again, the game is NOT the same thing as the editor. They may use the same data, but they're entirely different. I've said the game (due to Bnet) is not deserving of my money, I never said the Editor was bad though. The problem is I can't get the editor without supporting the broken game, so unless they seperate the two and charge a reasonable ammount for the editor, I wont buy it.

In the end, it's their own damn fault for alienating me with the abomination that is Bnet. Appearently they never heard the addage "if it aint broke, don't fix it", WC3's bnet was the pinnacle of perfection, at best all they could do is add in minor tweaks. All they had to do was keep WC3s bnet, and add in the few good changes they had with bnet 2.0. Instead they decide to over-haul the system, and break everything, like retards. And since they're a company, and big companies NEVER reverse major changes, bnet will never be good. They may fix the bugs, and add in small things like chat capability. But they'll never outright remove such core components such as the popularity system. And there's no way to make a system like that, or publishing, work unless they're optional, which is the same as removing it.

I pre-ordered SC2 so I could get into the beta, the beta showed me that Blizzard were idiots and broke their game, so I didn't get it. But them breaking bnet wont stop me from enjoying the aspects they did right, it'll just keep me from paying for those aspects.

Level 22
Colt556 repeats things about bnet 2.0 I repeated gazillion times but I did that from the melee side, so point taken.

War3 bnet was worse than Garena because hosting in bnet with delay was horrible. SC2 hosting is fine thus we can do without LAN. Cross Realms, I also have Canadians I played a lot war3 with and now in SC2 that separates us, but entering Azeroth was so rare while the major realm was the one I played. I believe it's the same for everyone, sucks but since we primarily play our realm, we can deal without EU-NA access. We can have fellows on our own realm, right?

And the only thing I find is needed for the feeling of battle net are channels. But I'm getting used to without them so... the same goes for the ladder system that I also dislike as these leagues and divisions show nothing but somehow im used to having it that way so I'm not asking for anything anymore... I just see things will stay like that so i'm now reconciled.

That still shouldn't be a reason not to buy a game on the background of the cool game but it's your choice.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Garena does not use LAN, infact it is the exact same as playing a bot game on battlenet. The whole lie about LAN play is sickening as it is only LAN if used on a Local Area Network. Using a proxy to foward it to the internet means it is no longer LAN but WAN.

It started cause blizzard set their latencies to an acceptable RTS ammount of 150 ms, however as more people wanted to use net traffic commands or games needed faster respones this was not enough. LAN hosted games start with lower settings as usually a LAN is only a couple of ms. Thus for people in he same country as you with fast internet they are able to play games with lower latency via proxy fowarding LAN as a WAN. However people then created bots which were able to alter the latency parameters in battlenet games and thus achieve even lower latencies than LAN area games.

Frankly 150 ms is hardly anything, that still allows you over 3 commands per second atleast (more like 6). It was only a problem for games that created net traffic like arrow keys or perverse people who like to blame their losses on immaginary delay rather than poor playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.