• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cannot Join Specified Game (GameRanger)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I use GameRanger to play Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne on LAN with other players. Occasionally, a friend and I would use it to test out a custom map that I made. Recently, however, a major issue has appeared. I can join anyone's room and the games that they are hosting in the Warcraft lobby, but the same cannot be said for them. I can host my own rooms but whenever they try to join my game lobby, they get a message stating that they "cannot join specified game".

I tried everything; from reinstalling Game Ranger, reinstalling Warcraft, allowing both through Firewall, and even turning off the Firewall completely. There was however an instance where a player was able to join me. A friend of mine suggested that it was a problem with my Warcraft's game.dll file and shared his file for me to replace mine with so that I did. This worked only once sadly and I still can't find a way to fix this issue. Is there a way for me to fix this or should I move on from Game Ranger and find another program for LAN games? If so, which program do you suggest do I change to?

P.S: My Warcraft patch is 1.26

pyf

pyf

Level 32
I use GameRanger to play Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne on LAN with other players. [...] Recently, however, a major issue has appeared. I can join anyone's room and the games that they are hosting in the Warcraft lobby, but the same cannot be said for them. I can host my own rooms but whenever they try to join my game lobby, they get a message stating that they "cannot join specified game".

I tried everything; from reinstalling Game Ranger, [...]. Is there a way for me to fix this or should I move on from Game Ranger and find another program for LAN games? [...]

Are you aware of the existence of this page?

Level 3
Any news?

btw, your expertise about GameRanger / any other third party game servers may be needed in another thread (please see this post). Maybe you will want to share your recent experiences with him/us there?

No, sadly. I already left a message to them but so far they haven't responded. The issue is still unsolved and I'm just hoping for someone who knows how to solve it to reply to this thread. It's not really a big of a deal since I could just ask other people to host the map that I want for me, but as an aspiring map creator I want to feel the pride of having to host your own map (I dunno, I'm weird HAHAHAHA).

As for the link to another thread, I've already sent a response. Thank you for the help replying to this thread and I sincerely hope I could help someone else by replying to theirs as well!

Level 17
I am not aware of how GameRanger operates from the technical side, but are your ports forwarded in your router?
If it works more like PvPGN and less like Hamachi, you'll still need to open the ports on your router to be able to host games (War3 uses port 6112 unless otherwise specified).
Otherwise one of the things to check are whether you're under a strict NAT which might be harder to verify and will make it harder to play or at least host online matches for many games.

Level 3
Does the name of your friend appear to be italic as he enters the room? Users who are mutually italic can't enter each other's lobby in case one of them gets to be the host. Other players could see no problem coming from your side so it's kinda 2 magnets rejecting each other because of the sides with same polarity. There is also an issue of a router symbol appearing next to your name which is visible to everyone and tends to be problematic, so I would want to know if this is the case. The italic issue very often gets fixed by both affected users simply rejoining the room, but if the problem persists, then there's probably a greater inconsistency going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.