• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Can we have prefixes for Requests?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
I think it would be useful to have an option to add a prefix when creating a thread in Requests; e.g. [Classic], [Reforged], [General], [Trigger], [Solved]

Having a Classic/Reforged prefix would really help me filter out requests I can/can't help with. This would also hopefully reduce the number of people who forget to indicate whether they're requesting a model/icon/skin for Classic or Reforged.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
I mean, there are functions that have been added in newer versions of WC3 but to my
knowledge not all of them are Reforged-only so the author of a trigger request may want to
specifiy for which version of WC3 anyway, regardless of Classic or Reforged.

[Classic/Trigger]
[Classic/Modeling]
[Classic/2D]

[Reforged/Trigger]
[Reforged/Modeling]
[Reforged/2D]
^I am all for that list of prefixes for the Requests section.

Level 21
Then what exactly is different? The modeling? Cause you can make models that work in both places.
Classic models work in both versions, but Reforged models have a completely different art style and use a different kind of mdx format that doesn't work in the classic. Reforged also uses the new dds format for skins and icons, which also don't work in the classic.

I'm just not a fan of frequently having to ask this question:
Classic or Reforged?

Another way to avoid this is making a new rule (highlighted with a pinned post) that requires requesters to specify the game version in the title of their thread.
I mean, there are functions that have been added in newer versions of WC3 but to my
knowledge not all of them are Reforged-only so the author of a trigger request may want to
specifiy for which version of WC3 anyway, regardless of Classic or Reforged.
I don't know much about triggers and I don't have Reforged, but adding Reforged-only functions doesn't make sense if they still want crossplay to be possible.

Last edited:
Hi, I just want to throw in a little something in about the triggers i seen above, there is or could be a difference between the variables types you have, this has happened to me before i got reforged, i dont remember what version i had to be honest, but i could not open a spell that had the new variables as they are in reforged, in the world editor, however i could still play the map and it worked but made a problem because i couldnt open the map to get the triggers and stuff you know lol. (it also could of have been more than just the variables too but yea)
Of course when i got reforged the spells then opened up and then i seen why, when i was looking at variables, i seen a bunch more that i didn't previously see on the old version. Just thought i'd throw this in here as i seen a comment about triggers above, dont think its really a problem though.

Also, yes definitely would be nice to have an indication to which they have requested for and those others too. :)

Level 21
Hi, I just want to throw in a little something in about the triggers i seen above, there is or could be a difference between the variables types you have, this has happened to me before i got reforged, i dont remember what version i had to be honest, but i could not open a spell that had the new variables as they are in reforged, in the world editor, however i could still play the map and it worked but made a problem because i couldnt open the map to get the triggers and stuff you know lol. (it also could of have been more than just the variables too but yea)
Of course when i got reforged the spells then opened up and then i seen why, when i was looking at variables, i seen a bunch more that i didn't previously see on the old version. Just thought i'd throw this in here as i seen a comment about triggers above, dont think its really a problem though.

Also, yes definitely would be nice to have an indication to which they have requested for and those others too. :)
I'm pretty sure that's just a result of using a different game version; it has nothing to do with the SD-HD disparity.

I'm using patch 1.29 and I have access to natives that don't exist in 1.28 and below. However, both 1.28 and 1.29 are SD (pre-Reforged). It would be unreasonable to suggest a prefix for every single patch that added a new trigger function, especially since most people don't know (and don't care) about minor differences between the older game versions.

So you're saying SD/Trigger HD/Trigger would reduce complications.
I'm pretty sure that's just a result of using a different game version; it has nothing to do with the SD-HD disparity.

I'm using patch 1.29 and I have access to natives that don't exist in 1.28 and below. However, both 1.28 and 1.29 are SD (pre-Reforged). It would be unreasonable to suggest a prefix for every single patch that added a new trigger function, especially since most people don't know (and don't care) about minor differences between the older game versions.

I am not sure, because of the version i was using, it likely was before 1.28 even, i did take a little screenshot of the variable list, just to kinda tell which variables i didnt have before, if they are same in the prereforged versions then its fine
Screenshot 2021-02-08 073329.png

so Ability Code, Animation Type, Attack Type, Command Button Effect, Image Type, there is more through out the list that i did not have previously in my version, and a spell i downloaded from here, had this Ability Code variable and that was what was preventing me from opening in world editor before i had gotten reforged. so Hermit if you got these variables too in classic, then we are fine without it specifying triggers, else this may cause some problems if variables are missing for people.

Level 21
Go have a look.
This is exactly what I had in mind! it looks fantastic and I like how you made them different colors (orange and green); it's going to make it much easier to distinguish threads just by seeing the color. Thank you for continuing to put so much effort into this site; we appreciate it.
variables i didnt have before
Those variable types were added along with the new natives that use them, but it's difficult to keep track on what function was added in what version. I have some of them on 1.29 but not others.

Reforged was released with patch 1.32; it introduced new file types for models and textures. This infamous patch divided the models, textures and icons into two clearly defined groups: SD resources, which work on all game versions, and HD resources, that don't work on any version below 1.32.

However, it's impossible to make the SD/HD distinction for triggers since there have been multiple patches (both before and after 1.32) that added trigger functions, and maybe they will even continue to get added in the future.

Last edited:
Level 17
It might be good to do something like [version]/[Topic], with version being 1.32:SD and 1.32:HD for things where that matters, or just always using :[assetmode] for simplicity, and version could also benefit from :Retail and PTR for some of the more hacky things

This could possibly work well for posts anywhere on the site

Status
Not open for further replies.