• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[HD/Texturing] Can someone help me with exporting a texture? (excisting wc3 texture)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
hey, So i'm fairly new to modeling, but i've downloaded the retera model studio today and made some changes to the reforged model of jenella deemstring.

I've noticed however that i'm not sure about how to export the texture. I exported the .mdx file after i removed some elven features and part of the hair and bow of the model, it seems to run perfectly while in reforged mode but in classic mode the texture doesn't load.

I know that normally when you import a model you need to import the texture too, so i've tried to import the texture seperately but i have no idea how to do this. The edited model works perfectly when it gets assigned the default jenalla texture in reforged mode. however i would like to import this teture seperately as a .blp so that i can also use it in classic mode.

Could someone maybe do this for me? if this is possible it would be great if the eye glow texture could get deleted too, however i'm very happy if someone can just export the default jenalla texture so that i can link it to the edited model too.

anyway, here is the .mdx file:

And for reference i own reforged and classic but prefere playing on classic graphics because it laggs less. however occasionally there's a model i really like thus why i try to add it like this.
Any help is greatly appreciated

Attachments

• RangersApprentice.rar
    710.1 KB · Views: 14
  • RangersApprentice.mdx
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
Level 8
In RMS just go to Edit > Edit Textures, select all the textures and export them, then use a program like blp lab to convert them from .dds to .blp, simples :)
They are mainly in .tif format or something though, After some additional research, i'm wondering is it even possible to use reforged models in classic even if i change the textures? I've noticed that HD models i downloaded did not work ik classic mode eighter. this is making me believe that it might not even be possible to begin with . I'm saying this because when i went to textures there were atleast 7-8 of them which is way more than i've ever seen in any model (usually it's 1-2 max)

Ok so models pre-Reforged use mdx format 1000 and this includes the classic (SD) models in Reforged. So you'll first need to convert the models to mdx 800 in RMS.

As for texture application, yes HD models have more layers than the standard SD model such as Normal, ORM etc. I may be wrong but I don't believe mdx 800 supports all these new texture/material layers. Therefore, the one you want is the diffuse however it does mean the models won't look exactly right. Unless you can find a way to merge as much of the HD texture layers as possible into one or a way for mdx 800 to use all the layers (which I believe is impossible).

As for .tif format it really doesn't matter, all you need is a program that can convert the files, like BLP Lab.

Level 8
Ok so models pre-Reforged use mdx format 1000 and this includes the classic (SD) models in Reforged. So you'll first need to convert the models to mdx 800 in RMS.

As for texture application, yes HD models have more layers than the standard SD model such as Normal, ORM etc. I may be wrong but I don't believe mdx 800 supports all these new texture/material layers. Therefore, the one you want is the diffuse however it does mean the models won't look exactly right. Unless you can find a way to merge as much of the HD texture layers as possible into one or a way for mdx 800 to use all the layers (which I believe is impossible).

As for .tif format it really doesn't matter, all you need is a program that can convert the files, like BLP Lab.

Thanks, I think i'll just stick to lower quality models for now then.

One thing I've noticed about your original post is you say you want to use the model in classic mode so need the texture in .blp this is no longer the case. Even in SD/Classic graphics mode in Reforged recognisees .dds for SD models/textures and if you open the CASC you'll see ALL the textures are .dds even the SD ones.

Also another way to export stuff is to use CASCview there's plenty of posts/threads etc about it for you to read and learn to use yourself since it's pretty easy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.