• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Campaign: The Last Sa'rin (RETURNS!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Campaign: The Last Sa'rin

TheLastSarinLogo.jpg

Seeing as how Ikithe has been AWOL for a month with my terrain, I would like a new terrainer. Specifically one who feels they are good with interiors, as most of the exterior work has been completed for the demo. More info below!

Well over a year and a half ago I came to these boards with nothing more than an idea and no real idea of how to go about it. One man stepped up to help me, but the work load was too much for two people to bear. ...Also, many setbacks combined with a high level of frustration on both sides mixed into a nasty concoction of abandonment. But...that's changed.
Back then, what we got done, was a bit of amazing terrain (thank you, Atticus! And if you're still around, contact me!), some comparatively-more-noobish terrain (moi), and some imported systems that...didn't quite work how we had intended. For the screenshots of the terrain that Atticus deftly created, please refer the this thread, which has since been closed I don't know when.

BASIC INFO:

The Last Sa'rin will be a single player, turn-based1 RPG. You play as Argan, who is the last Sa'rin. You will have party members join and leave as the story progresses to help you on your journey, giving it a true RPG feel, along with an epic storyline with hundreds of Quests and encounters that will leave you wanting to continue.

Vizel
Project Leader/Units/Story

Ikithe
AWOL

Laserdude
Triggers/Spells/Effects

Fjury
2D Artist

L2love
Terrain

EMPTY
Cinematics

I personally believe that a small team is better than a large team.

GAMEPLAY INFO:

The world of Assairot is where your adventure will take place. It's a world plagued by bizarre events. The world is quite huge, and this will be quite in-depth, so we will be using a WorldMap-SubMap system2.

Some other features included will be (Already implemented/Confirmed systems are underlined):

¤Arrow Key Movement

¤A fixed third-player camera

¤A Mount System

¤Fullscreen Inventory*

¤In-depth Magic/Spell system

¤Random Battle System

¤Turn-based battle system

¤Unique Stat Enhancement System

¤Karma System3

¤Day/Night Creep System4

¤Additions System5
And much more.

STORY:

The Sa'rin are an ancient order that was founded some thousand years ago or so. Nobody knows for sure the exact date of its founding.

The Order of the Sa'rin were basically a highly organized group of mercenaries. They would be hired by kingdoms to fight for them, or even to do more mundane tasks such as police the streets, or to settle small disputes. The Sa'rin would not kill another Sa'rin, no matter the circumstances.

The Sa'rin were basically Samurai who had honed their skills so well, that they were able to get in touch with the Soul of the Earth, allowing them to perform magical abilities, and thus enhancing their already fearsome power.

However, when the Neverending Rains started, a chain of events led the higher powers (That is, the Governmental Council) to believe that they had caused the Neverending Rains. Therefore, they unanimously voted that the Sa'rin should be eradicated. Within 5 years of this order being issued, each kingdom had (in its own manner) disposed of every last Sa'rin. Furthermore, the wielding and making of swords was outlawed, and any violation carried swift, powerful, and irrevocable punishments to the violator AND their family.

However, there remained one Sa'rin, who had managed to hide well enough that everyone presumed him dead. But he is far from it...

Argan (The Last Sa'rin) has made it his life's goal to find out the true cause of the Neverending Rains, because he does not believe that the Sa'rin had anything to do with it.

QUESTS:

The focus of The Last Sa'rin is definitely on the storyline. The main storyline revolves mainly on Argan and his mission to find out what really caused the Neverending Rains. However, the other characters have their own background stories that can be fully explored as well.

The main storyline will consist of a multitude of quests that will allow you to explore this vast world. You will see places and people, laugh and cry, and really follow the characters throughout their adventures.

There will also be a plethora of side-quests. Some will ultimately tie back to the main storyline to enhance it even more. Some will reveal the background of the characters, areas, or even just a general history. Then there are completely unrelated side-quests that will help you level or just give you a feeling of goodwill.
Or maybe not?

There will be Boss Encounters. They may range from Beast to Man, and everything in between. They may not be what you might think, and not necessarily "fought" in a traditional sense.

WHAT THIS PROJECT NEEDS:

Might be YOU!

Okay, enough with the cheesy remarks.

I can do a little of just about everything (Except modelling, or anything JASS related), but I need some expertise and some specialties in order to get this going. Please note that the team for the Demo is complete. I really would like a terrainer good with interiors, as I am finding quickly I'm terrible! Anything further would be for after it is released, if necessary.

1Terrainer(s)6

Triggerer(s)7

Cinematic Maker8

As for schedules, I would appreciate if there was a little flexibility. My work schedule is sporadic at best, although I never work fridays, and never fri/sat nights (US-EST). Also, I'm basically at my computer any time I'm not working, sleeping or sometimes eating. I'm on about every single day.

COPYRIGHT:

Well. Needless to say, don't steal my stuff (Ideas, terms, etc.). If it's used in my map, please don't use something for another project without my permission (ofc, imports and such which belong to respective owners are a separate matter). I'm not super anal about it, as long as you've talked to me about it first. So please, please ask.

Of course, credit is due where credit is earned. You will get full credit for your work. As you have seen above, I give full credit to Atticus for the hard work he's done for this. I will also release a full list of credits for the demo when it is released.

If you are interested in joining the team, please send me a PM. Please be prepared to display your skills.

DEMO:

DEMO Features
¤Arrow Key Movement

¤A fixed third-player camera

¤Karma System

¤Random Battle System

¤Turn-based battle system

¤Unique Stat Enhancement System

¤Additions System

DEMO Progress
Terrain|||||||||| (90%)

Triggers
|||||||||| (80%)

Systems
|||||||||| (86%)

Units/Items
|||||||||| (20%)

Gameplay
Mechanics
|||||||||| (30%)

Overall
|||||||||| (61%)

1 - turn-based means that during battles, players and enemies will "take turns" on attacking, much like the old RPG's like the original Final Fantasy.
2 - That being said, the World Map is itself broken up into segments. At this point, it is to be many (Currently undetermined) separate 256x256 (Cause larger ones had certain issues) maps. Certain places like major cities, or thick forests, might be Submaps to enhance the quality of the areas, and to thicken gameplay, and make it more in-depth.
3 - Karma System is a system that will change how the world sees you (The player) depending on the choices you make. Some choices (Not all) that you make have a chance of increasing your Karma. Your Karma Rating will change some cinematics, or give you extra bits in them, or perhaps even change rewards. The most notable is that depending on your karma level, you will see a different ending cinematic after finishing the game!!
4 - The Day/Night Creep System basically means that the time of day (Daytime, Nighttime) depends on the types of monsters you will encounter in many places. Some places, like caves, may not have this because there's obviously no difference!
5 - Additions System. This is (I think) a unique system that's being made for us. If you ever played Legend of Dragoon, it's the "Attack Chain" system where when you hit a button at the right time, you increase the chain up to your current maximum. Damage of course will scale accordingly. It's the most exciting system (IMO) to be included because it brings a whole new level of skill to gameplay. I hope you anticipate it even half as much as I do!
6 - We have L2love already terraining stuff that won't be included in the demo, his progress is great!
7 - Another Triggerer would be great. Laserdude can only do so much at a time.
8 - I would also like to have someone who is very good with Cinematics, if possible. I'm good enough to make some average quality cinematics, but I would like someone with above-average, or pro skills who could (at the very least) teach me, and help out with the finer details of the cinematics that I'm not quite skilled enough to pull off.
*I have one implemented, but it isn't 2.4+ compatible.

Attachments

• CC_Residential_Street.png
    CC_Residential_Street.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 375
  • CC_Mansion.png
    CC_Mansion.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 344
  • CC_Graveyard.png
    CC_Graveyard.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 327
Last edited:
Level 12
I've checked it out, and I'll check it again and give you word tomorrow, or if I manage not to have time, sometime Monday. Probably tomorrow. You did check the screenshots provided in the other post, right?

I don't have them anymore, since I've upgrade my comp since then. I'm lucky to still have my wc3 files. :p

As for now, it's time for bed, work tomorrow. :)

ja ne.

Level 12
Okay. So. Next up, I need someone really good with Triggers.

The way this is going to work is I'm going to pump out the demo. That much I (think) I can do myself. It would be a huge help if I had at least a good Triggerer to at least check my work for the demo. Cause if I screw something up, likely I won't know how to fix it.

The main reason I'm going to do this myself is that most of the work for what will be included in the demo has already been done. The other reason is so I can teach myself more. There's just a little Terrain work and a Cinematic to do, and then setting up the rest of the necessary systems for the demo. Basically, I'm recruiting for afterwards (And please, a good Triggerer to double check my work prior would be much appreciated!), when this will (hopefully) go full swing.

Level 12
So, the more I try to work on this, the more I come to realize I really need someone good with Triggers to help me with the demo. I'm spending all my time fixing the same couple triggers over and over, which isn't getting me anywhere but frustrated.

So, if someone good with Triggers would be willing to help out even for the demo, that'd be a huge help. I don't imagine that the work involved at least with the demo would be too difficult, but to someone who's not terribly good with triggers, it's a real annoyance.

So, bump for more help!

Level 12
Bump for COMPLETE revamp of original post.

I finally got time. So, potential recruits, PM me! :D

Level 12
I go bump in the night on this post.

The progress is going smoothly. I've begun fixing some of the systems while Ikithe is doing the terrain. Hence the huge jump in system progress for the demo (There are only going to be 6 of them implemented at this point for the demo, so fixing two brings it to 4/6 :D). So that 5% increase is a rather large one, in the grand scheme of things!

Just wait. Once the terrain comes back, this ought to be ready to start closed testing within a couple days. Then it shall be released here on Hive. :)

Of course, any help would be appreciated. Especially an advanced triggerer (GUI is perfectly fine!!! Even if you are only able to clean up my triggers, it's a huge help and at least deserving of +rep as well as +credits, :)

Last edited:
Level 12
Some Updates here.

First off, I managed to fix both the RBB System and the Encounter system. YAY!

Secondly, new features to introduce! We've come up with a Karma system. This isn't too complicated, so stay with me, now. The Karma system is quite simple. Depending on the choices you make while playing The Last Sa'rin, you will gain Karma Points. Those Karma Points then determine how certain situations pan out, depending on your Karma. Also, there will be a different ending Cinematic at the end of the game depending on how much Karma you have! So, look forward to it!

The other new feature is the Day/Night Creep System. This system will make it so that depending if it's daytime or Nighttime in-game determines the types of enemies you will face. Now, this system is still in the early phases of Concept as of yet, and I don't want to try to inject this into our Battle system without the help of an expert, so it's not going to be in the DEMO.

Lastly, seeing as I don't see any Triggerers stepping up to help out for the DEMO, the FSI will not be implemented into the DEMO because I have nobody to fix it. I don't know how to work that JASS stuff. So until further notice, it's gone for the DEMO.

That's the Updates for now.

Level 12
Guess what time it is? UPDATE TIME!

¤First off, I've got the Stat System figured out.

I'm VERY excited to announce another system!

¤The Additions System will be implemented. It's being made as we speak, I've been given a green light as to it's plausibility, so hopefully we'll see the results soon!

A little info on this system:

If you ever played Legend of Dragoon, this is the Additions System I'm talking about. If you haven't, I'm sorry. You missed out on an amazing 4-disk PS1 game that (IMO) rivals FFVII in gameplay (I've beaten 7, and playedhalf of LoD).

This brings a whole new meaning to "Combat skill" because you need to be timing things correctly in order to pull off these chains to do incredible amounts of damage! Now, at the beginning of the game, you'll either start off being able to do a 2-chain, or get it a little after you get used to the combat system (Currently undecided on when exactly to implement it, will update that info after the DEMO is released). However, for sake of simplicity, I hope that it will be implemented in a small scale for the DEMO. We'll see how the time frame pans out!

I'm very excited to bring this kind of gameplay experience to a larger audience, because it was one of my favorite systems in any game that I've played. Similar systems from other games are from: Super Mario RPG (SNES), Paper Mario (N64), and Mario & Luigi's Super Star Saga (GBA). If you know them, you may have a slight advantage over those who don't, ;)

Either way, there will be a tutorial on the battle system, so don't worry if you haven't had the privilege to experience this yet, you won't be left in the dark!

¤Just to touch up on the stats system real fast. AP (Attribute Points) Will allow you to customize your character to your preference. You get a certain amount of AP per level, and can be used whilst outside of battle.

~TLS Team.

Last edited:
Level 12
Bump.

Got the Terrain back.

Working on Triggers now.

Then importing some of the systems.

Then sending back for the final terraining!

That's the update. :)

For the record... I still would love a Triggerer to help out for the DEMO! It's beginning to get to a point where my non-existent skills aren't going to be able to do what I need to be done! EVEN IF YOU DON'T WISH TO JOIN THE TEAM PERMANENTLY, SOME TEMPORARY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

Level 12
Bump.

My to-do list grows longer and longer with every step i take.

Trigger help would be great. I know I say that every post. Although it appears nobody is even reading this thread, I'll keep saying it.

Level 12
Bump.

We ran into some issues with implementing the battle system.
Also, I screwed up the stat system. >.>
Triggers are our woe. Someone to help out would be appreciated.

Level 12
Thank you, Kevlamin, that means a lot.

Unfortunately, progress has all but halted as I'm stuck on the trigger systems I'm attempting to implement. We're trying to come up with a workaround for the battle system, too.

I've been attempting to "freshen up" on the campaign's triggers by working on a small project of mine that requires some more complicated triggering than I had been doing up to this point. I'm hoping that with this new knowledge, I'll be able to go through and figure out what's wrong with the stat system, since nobody seems to be willing to help me figure it out. :(

Anyway, I got stuck on the other project too, so I'm gonna take another look at the AP system, see if I can pinpoint some problems. :)

Level 8
Cinematic

Hey, I could sure help you with triggers or cinematics, depending on what exactly you need help with.
Here is some things I might be able to help you with:
-Spells.
-Overall Cinematics.
-Effects.
-Much more.
If you want my help, PM me!

EDIT:
TO VIZEL ONLY!!!
Here is the cinematic, as promised!
View attachment Cinematic Test.w3x
As mentioned, its full of leaks and poor quality.
I posted it here cause thats the only place I seemed to be able to post it.

Level 12
Dude, use the edit button.

Furthermore, I think I'll have you sticking to triggers and effects, no offense.

Level 12
So, I suppose a welcome to Laserdude, newest member of the team is in order.

Welcome to the new Triggerer. :D

Level 12
I'll let you know. ATM, I'm going to finish the AP system and import it, making sure it works, then I'll see what else needs to be done, and I'll get back to ya mate.

Level 12
Update time!

First, some great news. The Additions System was made (Thanks McKill2009!). I have not tested it, though, as I've been pre-occupied with RL and other issues regarding the map. Once the battle system is otherwise completely implemented, I plan to thoroughly test it. All I do know is that there's plenty of leaks in it which need to be cleaned. So, some additional updates regarding it shall be released at a later date.

Some HUGE progress on the broken things!

• AP System is fixed and working. Only thing left to do with it is to add a visual to the (yet uncreated) Multiboard. (Thanks Maker for fixing the system!)
  • The Combat System is working (YAY!). Will be using a modified version of the RBB System. This system itself is fixed, but I'm not implementing it until the Random Encounter System (RES) is fixed. (Thanks raft_pl for modifying this for me!)
As of now, the broken/not working things needing fixing are as follows:

• Fixing the stupid Treasure Chest issue. I believe I know of a way to do this, I've just not gotten around to doing it.
  • The RES needs fixing...it didn't work right.
  • FSI isn't implemented as of yet since it abuses the Return Bug. I've yet to go in and fix this.
And, for the things that still need doing:

• Multiboard
  • Quests
  • Units/Creeps
  • Karma System (Which I know how to do, just not to the point of creating it yet)
  • Finish the Terrain
  • Custom Loading Screens
  • Cinematics
After that is Closed testing of the demo, and balancing, :)

So, hopefully, we can get this demo released by the end of November. If not...well, we'll see if that time comes. I'm going to be working again starting a week from today, so I won't be able to be around 24/7 anymore, :p

Hope to get most of the stuff I need to get done, done by then before passing the baton. :)

Last edited:
Level 13
I can try terrain if you want but one thing about terrain is if your using WEU (Probably not) or a JNGP they fuck with my computer so won't be able to use them.

Level 12
Absolutely using JNGP. I dislike the limits in the regular WE.

Sorry, :(

And I'm guessing it's an anti-virus clash?

Level 13
No it's just my comp hates all addons it doesn't even do anti virus also I can try to work with JNGP I just don't think the stretching doodads and stuff works on it.

Level 12
From a terraining standpoint, I like JNGP cause it breaks the limits of doodad count, tiles, etc.

Anyway, Terraining is almost complete for the time being (As far as the demo is concerned), just have two sections of one map left to go. And that's taken a back seat to getting the combat system functional atm. ><

Level 12
Well, if anything, I could go in real quick and lay out some boundries for landmarks and get the first world map segment ready to be finished, although it's not really necessary for the demo, that would be a huge help.

I'll see what I can come up with here. :)

Level 13
He may be online but not paying attention I never log off I just don't like logging on over and over so just wait or PM him or visitor message.

Level 12
This one doesn't really need bumping. The team is complete for now. :)

The other one needs bumping for more exposure. :D

Level 12
lol the team and my roommate, plus some people I've been gaming with for years.

Level 12
I'm going to be doing the items myself, thanks for the offer, though.

Turns out I will be looking for another triggerer, soon, as it seems my current one (Laser) has a bit of a loaded schedule.

Not going to update the first post right now, I just got off work, its 7am and I am going to SLEEP.

Level 8
I'm going to be doing the items myself, thanks for the offer, though.

Turns out I will be looking for another triggerer, soon, as it seems my current one (Laser) has a bit of a loaded schedule.

Not going to update the first post right now, I just got off work, its 7am and I am going to SLEEP.

I never said that. I just said that I won't be doing any more on the battle system...

Level 12
Oh. I misunderstood, sorry. Then I won't update the post as that is a erroneous point.

Level 12
Guys, here's what's going on.

Ikithe, our terrainer, has not been online in a month. He was working on the interiors of the buildings when he went poof on me. Last I heard he was very sick. Anyway, I tried to do something and um...well, I didn't even SAVE my shoddy attempt. Needless to say it looked horrific.

Please contact me if you feel you are up to the task of making people's homes, mansions, libraries, inns, shops, etc. If you can also do other terrain work, that would be cool as well!

Thanks for reading,
Vizel
The Last Sa'rin Project Director

Level 12
Just trying to figure out the bloody multiboard.

I almost got it figured out. I'll probably finish it up in a couple days, since most of tomorrow (today, technically) is gonna be spent judging for the story contest.

I just need to fix a couple errors in the code, and add in one more feature, and I think I'll have the multiboard thing done. Then I gotta add in the other multiboards for battle, and individual stats. But that'll be much simpler once I get the first one done.

Other than that, other than the battle system, there doesn't really need to be anything done. I just haven't had the time to devote as of late. And I won't have much after I start school, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.