• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Camera Zoom Limits with Mouse Wheel Scrolling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Does anyone know if it's possible to adjust the range of camera 'distance from target' that you get by scrolling the mouse wheel in-game? It seems to be set to a minimum of around 1200 and a maximum of 1650 by default.

I want to have the minimum remain the same while raising the maximum to something like 2500. A flat increase in camera distance will therefore not work, because it will change the minimum value as well. Any suggestions?

Level 19
It's probably only doable with triggers; but the only way to detect a mouse wheel scroll event is by using the frame natives. I made a script below that allows you to adjust the camera distance between 1200 and 2500 with the scroll wheel; but it'll never work in normal gameplay. The reason is that the created frame to detect a scroll wheel event almost cover the entire screen and blocks normal mouse clicks, etc.

JASS:
scope CameraScrollDistance initializer onInit
  globals
    // Config
    // Default camera distance value
    private constant real CAMERA_DISTANCE_DEFAULT = 1650.0
    // Time to set the new camera distance value.
    private constant real CAMERA_UPDATE_DURATION = 1.0
    // Default camera zoom value is set at 120/-120 (see BlzGetTriggerFrameValue() below).
    // This multiplier will increase/decrease the amount of camera distance on scroll.
    private constant real CAMERA_DISTANCE_MULTIPLIER = 1.0
    // Min/Max Camera distance values
    private constant real CAMERA_DISTANCE_MIN = 1200.0
    private constant real CAMERA_DISTANCE_MAX = 2500.0

// System Variables
    private real array CSDPlayerCameraDistance
  endglobals

private function Clamp takes real r, real min, real max returns real
    if (r < min) then
      return min
    elseif (r > max) then
      return max
    endif
    return r
  endfunction

private function OnMouseWheelScroll takes nothing returns boolean
    local integer playerIndex = GetPlayerId(GetTriggerPlayer())
    // BlzGetTriggerFrameValue() returns +120.0 on scroll up and -120.0 on scroll down
    set CSDPlayerCameraDistance[playerIndex] = Clamp(CSDPlayerCameraDistance[playerIndex] - (BlzGetTriggerFrameValue() * CAMERA_DISTANCE_MULTIPLIER), CAMERA_DISTANCE_MIN, CAMERA_DISTANCE_MAX)
    if (GetLocalPlayer() == GetTriggerPlayer()) then
      // Use only local code (no net traffic) within this block to avoid desyncs.
      call SetCameraField(CAMERA_FIELD_TARGET_DISTANCE, CSDPlayerCameraDistance[playerIndex], CAMERA_UPDATE_DURATION)
    endif
    return false
  endfunction

private function onInit takes nothing returns nothing
    local integer i = 0
    local trigger t = CreateTrigger()
    local framehandle fh1 = BlzGetOriginFrame(ORIGIN_FRAME_GAME_UI, 0)
    local framehandle fh2 = BlzCreateFrameByType("TEXT", "frameScrollArea", fh1, "", 0)
    call BlzFrameSetAllPoints(fh2, fh1)

call BlzTriggerRegisterFrameEvent(t, fh2, FRAMEEVENT_MOUSE_WHEEL)
    call TriggerAddCondition(t, Filter(function OnMouseWheelScroll))

loop
      set CSDPlayerCameraDistance[i] = CAMERA_DISTANCE_DEFAULT
      set i = i + 1
      exitwhen (i >= bj_MAX_PLAYERS)
    endloop

set t = null
    set fh1 = null
    set fh2 = null
  endfunction
endscope
Maybe someone can expand on the script and solve the problems as I'm not sure how to proceed from here.
  • The frame must ignore mouse clicks, etc, but not the scroll wheel.
  • The frame should cover the entire screen (currently the widescreen area is unaffected).

Level 9
Thanks for taking the time to work on this. I only know GUI, but in terms of detecting mouse wheel scrolling, what about looking for changes in the camera's distance? Is there a way to get that as an event?

This will probably lead to imprecision, but you could have a periodic event with a 0.01 sec interval that's constantly saving the current camera distance value and then comparing it with the camera distance after 0.01 sec.

Status
Not open for further replies.