• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Building a project team, read first

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I don't know where to start, really...

I am trying to put a team together for a little project that just bumped into my head the other day!
The project is based on a website and javascript therefore anyone with a knowledge of PHP and/or Javascript should keep reading:

It will be a new innovation in the world of gaming, something that I researched about and didn't find much information... So my guess is that it will either be very successful or a complete failure.

Here is a brief description:

Have you ever had a game server? If yes, then you probably know the hassle of finding admins for it. You either do not know the person, do not know their history, or unable to contact their references. You eventually come upon "that one great admin" but the searches take forever.

I am introducing Admins2Go! It is a community site where admins can register, receive feedback, reputation, and search for servers. It is also a place were server owners can search for admins, provide feedback on current or past admins, and give reputation depending on the admin.

So if you feel like you ever need an admin on the server, but don't want to go out and look for one, here is your way out! Admins2Go!

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN WORKING ON THE PROJECT, PLEASE CONTACT ME PRIVATELY:

E-Mail: [email protected]

PM: Here or Here

EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT INTERESTED, PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK! This will not only affect Minecraft Community, but all the other games where you can host a server! Thank you for your time! (Current Community Website (i.e. "portfolio" Outbreak Gamers - Home)

Level 11
Theoretically, a good idea, but here's why I think it wouldn't work:

1. The sheer amount of private servers. There are hundreds of games that can be played online, with thousands of servers per game. Let's assume that 20 server owners (of the same game) are using Admins2Go and are looking for a moderator/game master/op, and each one of them creates a new thread, advertising his/her server. I am an ambitious mod/GM/op, and I check A2G every day. Which one of the 20 servers will I choose? I can, of course, connect and check each and every one of the servers for myself, but that will take a considerable amount of time that I might not have or not be willing to spend on that. No. I would find a decent server first and then I would ask for a promotion.
  2. How is this "reputation and feedback" system going to work?
    • If I'm already happy with a server, why should I leave? Though the server might cease to operate for various reasons, I doubt that most owners would care to write a reference letter (or post, whatever) about the hard-working mod/GM/op when their server is shut for good.
    • If I'm unhappy with a server, chances are that the owners are unhappy with me as well. That would result in bad reputation, even if I'm doing my job perfectly.
    • Such system would be susceptible to abuse, just like any other system who relies on "thumbs up/thumbs down". Here's an example from Minecraft, but the point applies to any game: I spot a griefer. Griefing is against the rules, so I ask him/her to stop. From our conversation, it appears that the griefer is a friend of the owner, and the construction he's/she's griefing is better/prettier/whatever than his/hers and must be destroyed, for the griefer must be the best player in the server. The griefer refuses to stop, so I ban and report him/her. Frustrated, the griefer contacts the owner and after a few lies and crying, you are demoted with a nice post on A2G on how you abuse the server's players.
  3. All those immature people across the Internet. Wannabe owners with zero idea on how a server operates, who just saw a tutorial with pictures and thought it would be "cool" to have a server of their own. And no, I'm not talking about new and inexperienced people willing to devote some time on their servers, you know bloody well who I'm talking about. Would you like to waste your time on such a server? I definitely wouldn't.
  4. Why search somewhere else when I can search on my own server? I'm the owner, I've spent time and possibly money on my server. Why risk getting somebody whom I do not know or trust rather than getting somebody from my server; a devoted and loyal player, perhaps? Why get a stranger who might turn up to be the aforementioned immature individual, rather than somebody whom I value as skilled and suitable?
  5. False feedback for personal gain. "Hey gais, i want to be admin, so register on dis forum and write some good reviews bout me k? when i get admin you join and i give you moneyz!!!!!!11". I can totally see this happening.

All the above points were made under the assumption that A2G is a well-known place for finding administrators. Until it somehow gets there, server owners will, more or less, adapt point four's viewpoint: why use an untrusted external source when I can use a trusted internal one?

:goblin_boom:
:ogre_hurrhurr:

I had to use those 2 emoticons 'cause they're pretty :p

Level 2
yea... I kinda overlooked that... I had an idea about all that immaturity online. And it would take a huge system to control it. Ehh this is too much work. :D tnx dude for saving me the trouble... if you ever feel like playing minecraft with us get on mc.outbreakgamers.com

Status
Not open for further replies.