• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Buildable [Energy] Walls

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have this system I made several weeks ago that's been sitting on my comp because I feel like the installation process can be simplified, but also because I think that there are some features that should be integrated more seamlessly to make it more worthwhile, like walls that block enemies but allow allies to pass (I'm using a knockback system).

The basic idea is this: you have wall hubs. You connect wall hubs together with an ability. The 'walls' are locusted units that act as a barrier - and I'm not sure how I managed to turn their collision on. Casting a connection spell on a wall hub you are already connected to will break the connection.

The problems with this system is that I each wall type is a new unit type, and again it uses a separate trigger to detect when units come close to said unit types. I suppose this can be solved to use only 1 unit type by having a bunch of integers that determine their functionality.

I don't know if all I mentioned above is actually a real issue, but I've made 2 systems already that have been somewhat victims to feature creep. My recently updated Portal system works well enough imo, but my Orbit system is kinda convoluted and not easy to use. So I'd prefer to get some advice on how I can make that wall system better and more performance-friendly. For instance, can there be an alternative to using units to create walls that would automatically make units look for an alternate route around them?

Attachments

• Wall Hub System.w3x
    99.6 KB · Views: 85
Status
Not open for further replies.