• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Wurst] Buff

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
Ruke, first of all, congrats on developing Wurst! I remember we talked about your plans before some events in my life a few years back, and that I was going to do LuckyParser. I really am impressed with you pulling this off. Definitely a thing to add to your resumé.

I have looked over this resource. While I can't compile it, and I don't undestand the <> operators nor what the library requirements are doing, the standard for approval of any resource should be usefulness. Someone who invests this much time into the development of a JASS2 parser has my trust to develop code that compiles and is useful. I will put this in the Wurst approved resources forum.

Very nice implementation. It is interesting that you chose to implement a buff system with the actual "Buff" taken out of the equation. It isn't a bad thing--I just want to give you kudos for that design decision.

I personally don't like the names of the ...allWhereIs<Caster/Target> functions. It just sounded confusing to me. Including "Unit" is more clear (between 'where' and 'is').

And just as a potential idea: a dispel() method that calls an onDispel() method instead of onFinish. Sometimes you want to separate the two (i.e. unstable affliction in WoW), and while it can be easily implemented by the user, it would be pretty convenient to have a method just for that purpose. ;)

Level 14
I have looked over this resource. While I can't compile it, and I don't undestand the <> operators nor what the library requirements are doing, the standard for approval of any resource should be usefulness. Someone who invests this much time into the development of a JASS2 parser has my trust to develop code that compiles and is useful. I will put this in the Wurst approved resources forum.

Thats a pretty insignificant reason to approve something.

About the system:
- I like the idea that buffs dont necessarily display a buff icon, but if you call this system "Buff" you should definitely offer the option to do so.
- Your system doesnt allow multiple buffs of the same type to be active on the same target. In fact, it doesnt even allow multiple buffs of the same type to be active on different targets, is that correct? Those are severe limitations.

Have you seen my buffsystem (vJass version)? Its a similar approach but with (in my opinion) superior functionality. If you are interested we could merge the two systems, I dont see why we should have two similar systems approved.