• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Buff Tooltip Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hello~:3

I've encountered.... a strange, aesthetical problem. A skill of mine gives, for some reason I do not understand, the wrong buff.

The ability is called "Tidal Arrows". The skill itself seems to work fine~ BUt the tooltip is wrong. It is an on-hit ability, witht he base skill "Cold Arrows". The problem is, the buff that appears once it hit an enemy is the Cold Arrows buff, not the Tidal Arrows Buff. I, of course, changed the buff in the ability, putting in my custom Tidal Arrow Buff - but still, if I hit an enemy with that ability, the "Cold Arrows" buff appears.

The skill itself seems to work fine - it is supposed to regain mana with each attack, but reduce the attack damage by quite a bit - and thats just what it does. It is also supposed to slow the enemies' movementspeed by 20%/30%/40% and their attack speed by 30%/50%/70%. I wonder now, wether it slows correctly or not - that is rather hard to test.

Anyway, does anyone have any ideas how to solve this problem?
If you need to see the ability for yourself, just tell me how to post it here... Or should I post a downloadable test map?

Level 7
Cold Arrows has 3 buffs.the second buff you will find is the right buff :D
Okaaay~ I found that third buff... "Cold Arrows(Info)". The stacking and non stacking buff, I have already customized and added to my custom skill. Now I also added a "Tidal Arrows(info)"-Buff~ But the tooltip is still wrong.
Do I have to put a buff at some other, strangely hidden place or something o_O? I feel confused and/or blind right now xDD

Level 7
okay,what about putting different tooltips on buff?
Well, did so of course. But it always shows the wrong tooltip. Its kinda annoying, nothing more, nothing less xD. Tidal Arrows work exactly as they should - except that the wrong buff is always displayed~

Level 7
Instead of comma, put semi column ";" because with commas buff tooltips don't display text after them.
I know that, but that is not the problem - I always use Semi Columns.
What I mean is, the totally wrong tooltip appears: Wrong Tooltip, wrong name, wrong icon.

Level 28
Only change the buff that says "(Stacking)", keep the rest default. If you do this, the buff the enemy will get should be the one you created.
At least, I hope that's the problem, because otherwise I have no idea what you're talking about.

(Map attached)

Attachments

• Custom Buff.w3x
    16.1 KB · Views: 62
Level 7
Only change the buff that says "(Stacking)", keep the rest default. If you do this, the buff the enemy will get should be the one you created.
At least, I hope that's the problem, because otherwise I have no idea what you're talking about.

(Map attached)
Hm... it still does not work, but I found out something interesting~ The base ability we used is different.
Yours is cold arrows(neutral hostile). I based it off Lady Vashj's ability - and that one does not initially have the cold arrows(info) buff. Maybe this is the problem... More testing necessary^~ Gawd, why do I always pick the strange skills o_O

Level 7
Found the problem: The Stacking Flags are the problem. If they are set to none, the correct buff appears.
Question I'd have, though~ What exactly do the stacking flags do for this skill? And could it be problematic to set them to none?

Level 28
If 2 different units attack the same target, then the checked flags will stack.
So if the "Movement"-flag is checked and it decreases movement speed by 25%, then the unit will move 50% slower (they have to be 2 different units I believe).

@ZiBi: "stunned" is indeed a troublesome buff to get rid off :/.

Level 7
If 2 different units attack the same target, then the checked flags will stack.
So if the "Movement"-flag is checked and it decreases movement speed by 25%, then the unit will move 50% slower (they have to be 2 different units I believe).

@ZiBi: "stunned" is indeed a troublesome buff to get rid off :/.
I see - and I thought so, just wanted clarification.

But well, I guess I can just ignore that~ Its okay if it does not stack and it would usually do not stack anyway, as it is a hero ability^^ Well, the buff works fine now... Now I have to trigger the additional on hit effect, which is another hard thing to do T___T

I hate anything hard-coded xD Especially if it is so senselessly hard coded, like buffs or something. I mean, come on, why hard-code that AND put a buff for the ability xD? I really dont understand that.

Level 7
if you want a decent map, it should have a decent interface :)

if one sees your buff and notices it's all the same, they might consider that you gave only a little efforts to your map.
Not only that~ Sometimes, a buff is simply necessary. For example: I often trigger effects using buffs. Or I use them in-game, to see if a certain ability is still in effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.