• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

BTNWCIConjurer

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: deepstrasz
An icon of the Court Conjurers of Azeroth.
This is part of my Warcraft 1 icon series.

Update Log:
Version 1: Initial post
Version 2: Better shading on face, beard is less "spiky," Hat rim is broader, beard is darker.
Version 3: Re-shaded face (I don't think it made a difference), Hat is lighter, beard is fluffier, fixed the bump on his nose.

please tell me how I did.

Keywords:
Warcraft, Warcraft I, Warcraft 1, Human, Conjurer, Mage, Wizard, Stormwind, Azeroth, Beard.
Contents

BTNWCIConjurer (Icon)

Reviews
22:44, 21st Mar 2015 Sin'dorei300: The icon is pixelated, the hair and beard need a proper texture. The colors should be more vibrant, they too faint atm. That hat lacks shading/highlights. The figure needs more definition. Also, the shading on...

M

22:44, 21st Mar 2015
Sin'dorei300: The icon is pixelated, the hair and beard need a proper texture.
The colors should be more vibrant, they too faint atm.
That hat lacks shading/highlights.
The figure needs more definition.
Also, the shading on the overall icon needs work.

00:15, 10th Apr 2015
Sin'dorei300: Except that it looks less pixelated, i don't see any major improvements.
I'm waiting for an update.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Another good job !

But oh oh, what about his beard ? Does he has a little storm as beard ? I recommend you to make it more fluffy and soft instead of spiky and sharp

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

(and a little shading on the face - nose)

I would say, a little more shading for the eyes would not bad as well!

Define his eyes more, like a girl uses a eye liner or how these things are called, so that there is a difference between eye white and skin colour.

Level 7
Ardenian said:
Another good job !

Thank you.

Ardenian said:
But oh oh, what about his beard ? Does he has a little storm as beard ? I recommend you to make it more fluffy and soft instead of spiky and sharp

I was going off of the original icon. In it there are some stray hairs flowing from the beard, but perhaps I should cut down on them?

Kinglius said:
and a little shading on the face - nose
Ardenian said:
I would say, a little more shading for the eyes would not bad as well!

Define his eyes more, like a girl uses a eye liner or how these things are called, so that there is a difference between eye white and skin colour

I can tell the difference between eyes and skin, but I do agree, I could differentiate it a bit better, as for the nose, I agree completely now that I've looked at it a bit closer.

Oh and here's the original icon:

Attachments

• WCIConjurerOrigionalIcon.png
    WCIConjurerOrigionalIcon.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 55

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I was going off of the original icon.

You could add the original one in the resource post itself or in a reserved first post, it is really good to have a comparison :)

Just a question, did you take the original and improve it, or did you draw completely freehand ?

Level 7
Just a question, did you take the original and improve it, or did you draw completely freehand ?

I take the icon and stretch it out until it fits within the 56x56 pixel box that most command buttons fit into, sacrificing a bit of the sides to keep the icon's proportions intact. I then blow that up to double it's size (112x112), and make marker lines on separate layers, face, mustache, bottom lip, etc..., then I go to the original Icon for a base colour for the skin or the hair (I like to start either face or hair), then for whichever part of the icon is next. Then after I'm done making the icon, I compress it into 1 layer (if need be, I know how to decompress it.), Then I add a background, for the humans it's a cascade of blue to black, orcs are red to black, compress the layers, then shrink it back to 56x56, I use a special "soften portrait" tool, then I put it into the Icon's borders. from there I think you can guess what happens. But when I remake the Icons it's a similar process but I take the image from earlier, (before I turn it into an icon), and double it's size to 224x224, and rinse and repeat, remembering to shrink it back to 112x112, before shrinking it to 56x56 when turning it into an Icon.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I take the icon and stretch it out until it fits within the 56x56 pixel box that most command buttons fit into, sacrificing a bit of the sides to keep the icon's proportions intact. I then blow that up to double it's size (112x112), and make marker lines on separate layers, face, mustache, bottom lip, etc..., then I go to the original Icon for a base colour for the skin or the hair (I like to start either face or hair), then for whichever part of the icon is next. Then after I'm done making the icon, I compress it into 1 layer (if need be, I know how to decompress it.), Then I add a background, for the humans it's a cascade of blue to black, orcs are red to black, compress the layers, then shrink it back to 56x56, I use a special "soften portrait" tool, then I put it into the Icon's borders. from there I think you can guess what happens. But when I remake the Icons it's a similar process but I take the image from earlier, (before I turn it into an icon), and double it's size to 224x224, and rinse and repeat, remembering to shrink it back to 112x112, before shrinking it to 56x56 when turning it into an Icon.

ah okay...really... detailed thanks :)

You could also draw with final size 64x64 and apply borders with Button manager, a tool on Hive.