• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Broken Tooltip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
I made a spell based on animate dead (from the item), and everything is fine, but for some reason the extended tooltip is blank in-game.

any Ideas why this this is happening?
In Game:
brokenTooltip.png

In the OE:
tooltipInOE.png

thanks!

Same result if you just have a single character instead? I.E. blank instead of showing. You could have a "hidden character" that WC3 does not support, if an "a" is visible, then just retype the ability-tooltip and see what happens.
Same result if you make a new ability based on the same ability and just change that value? This can rule out some other issues.
Do you have any triggers interacting with tooltips? If yes, is it possible that they target this ability?

What I was talking about earlier was "Turn off" that I didn't see in the screenshots because of "..." and without an editor available I couldn't look it up.

Ok, so I have a custom animate dead spell, based on the "Item animate dead" ability and I get tooltip...

It doesn't even matter whether it is an "Hero Ability" or not...

Was it you who ran an ancient version of Warcraft III?
Might be a bug in your version if so...

upload_2020-6-3_18-19-3.png

upload_2020-6-3_18-19-56.png

Level 21
slight mistake - my ability is based on raise dead item, not animate dead... but if animate dead item works maybe i'll try basing on that.

Was it you who ran an ancient version of Warcraft III?
guilty as charged, but I have since fixed my ways. I am now using 1.31.1. (and I sorely miss the much smoother running 1.20)

Item abilities often miss crucial ui features I'm afraid. Does it work with normal Animate Dead?

I'll see if that's relevant. I was using the basic necromancer ability and switched to it's item counterpart so it wouldn't have autocast. I'll check if this also works with my ability.

thanks!

EDIT:
animate dead doesn't help me bc i need to target and destroy one corpse without summoning any units. animate dead doesn't have seperate fields for corpses targeted and units summoned. I'll try basing the ability on cannibalize.

EDIT: nope, cannibalize can only cast when the caster is not at full health. but I found a workaround - just adding a second line to the basic tooltip. the result is pretty hard to tell from the real thing.

thanks for your time!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.