• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Spell] Breath of fire style ability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I want to make an ability that works similar to breath of fire but deals extra damage (preferably over time) based on the caster's max hp amount. I just can't quite tell how this ability functions and how i should go about implementing the effects so any help will be appreciated

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
For non-damage over time it's quite simple: [Spell] - Making custom shockwave and custom stampede with hero attribute as damage
See Devault's first post for an example of how it can be done.

DoomBlade's first post in that thread shows a different approach using a Damage Engine, which is what I suggest if you really wanted the damage over time effect.

For damage over time you can use a simple Periodic trigger that picks through a Unit Group and periodically damages them. In order to determine how much damage should be dealt you can use Unit Indexing to store the damage amount to the target or a Hashtable for a similar effect. This would be used in conjunction with the Damage Engine.

So when a unit takes damage -> if Damage comes from your ability -> Add the damaged unit to the damage over time Unit Group, etc.

If you want the damage over time to stack then you need to use Dynamic Indexing.

Last edited:
Level 13
Alternatively in the lastest versions you can change ability stats ingame by trigger. If you use Breath of Frost(Ice?) as a base instead that always deals damage over time (without drunken slur)

Then you could either periodically change it's stats by trigger or change them on cast - you can also change ability tooltips ingame too if you wanted to update that at all

Depends if you want to trigger the ability or trigger the abilities stats really

Level 4
I see, thank you both, i didn't realize that the (neutral hostile) breath of fire also only triggers on targets with the other buff so that confused me

Status
Not open for further replies.