Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Breaking News: Internet Attacked Along With Wow!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Deathboy312, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Eggy

Eggy

Resources:
    Resources:
    Nerds fighting over how the internet is ran. How its operated. How many "servers" run it. How you can disable it. All is as it should be.

2. Engel

Engel

Resources:
    Resources:
    My favorite Bnet quote comes into play here.

"The INTERNET is SERIOUS business." :infl_thumbs_up:

3. Xlightscreen

Xlightscreen

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Dude Tonks that shows how the internet works.....you see 13 severs there? nooo.... basicly the internet is one gaint grid with so many diffrent routes and paths it would be impossible to take them all out yes you could cripple it alot but you could never shut it down.

4. Tonks

Tonks

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You're confused. They ROUTE through other servers, yes, but there are 13 host servers that 'hold it up.'
    If you eliminate the 13 host servers, then there will be no webpages for other webpages to route through.

5. Xlightscreen

Xlightscreen

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    webpages are just webpages its like this...you take are school website for instance which is hosted on the schools servers even if all 13 of those servers die there is still the school server hosting the site and it will still be there. grant it maybe somone from like asia or europe coulden't acesses it. anybody around here and probaly the west coast for that matter still can get on it becuase its just a matter of putting in the domain name and the comp finds the best path to the site. even though the main path might be gone there hundreads of smaller servers that can easily route your stuff threw so no the internet will not come to a end if you lost all 13 servers.

6. The_wand_mirror

The_wand_mirror

Resources:
    Resources:
    Since when you can listen to radio .. on your MP3.. player .. eh ..

7. aarkshark

aarkshark

Resources:
    Resources:
    Since the dawn of time. And technology.
    And since I bought one.
    Mwha.

8. Herio-san

Herio-san

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Ok. This is ridicleous. First off, no one can shut down the internet. Its not that it shouldnt be done, or that it would be too difficult. IT CANT BE DONE. There are millions of users a day online, each nation has servers, each country has servers, everywhere has servers. The idea that the internet is run off 13 servers is compleately idiotic. Its 100% impossible, and for a fact, if you shut down 13 webservers (any servers you want) sure, a large portion of webpages MAY be disabled. However, it wouldnt be long before the servers were rebooted and everything is as it should be.
    And if you think your computer is safe from the government, your wrong. The government controls a large portion of online industry.
    Another point, the internet is run through more than just webservers. Computers themselves can act as webservers if you wanted, all you hafta do is configure a P2P (Pier to Pier) connection. Anyway, just a little fact to break up this myth.
    In short:
    The internet cannot be shut down.
    as far as world of warcraft goes, blizzard is a large company. It can be shut-down. But a class-action lawsuit would be one of the only ways (short of a stockmarket crash or nuclear warfare destroying all of california, england etc) that could shut down blizzard.
    In short:
    Can WoW be shut down? Yes. Is it likely? No.

9. brad.dude03

brad.dude03

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yeah the internet is FAR to large to take out, there are billions upon billions upon billions of web sites out there and to take down all of them would be a project collosal beyond human comprehension. It ain't happening. WoW, yes if you attacked all of the WoW servers, then I suppose you couls take it down. 7,999,999 WoW nerds would be without their beloved game (me being the 8 millionth, I don't really care, I hardly ever play WoW) and would go insane.

10. Shados

Shados

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    No, it would, because the EMP from nuclear blasts that large would likely knock out enough DNS servers to shut most of it down immediately, and with nuclear winter and no humans there'd be no power anyway.

I doubt they could take out even one of the 13 primary DNS servers, and even if they took out all 13, I beleive there's 4 backup servers. In the event they were downed, too, there's still the smaller, localised DNS servers of every country, state and even individual ISPs. And EVEN THEN you could still visit sites via their direct IP address. To truely take down the net, you'd need to down every server on the planet and keep them down.

Also, I doubt even very good hackers could keep enough computers infected with DDOS attack trojans without being detected until they were needed.

11. Xlightscreen

Xlightscreen

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    actuly nuclear winter is still a theory becuase we can't exactly prove it by detonate 20 nukes now could we? Personly that make one hell of a april fools joke on blizzard part shutdown WoW say it got hacked and all accounts got deleted....Watch about 20% commite Sucide 20% roit and the rest get on there life then blizzard comes back APRIL FOOLS! lol

12. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    If blizzard shuts down the server for april fools. . .
    Well they would be up for murder since thousands of people will commit suicide.
    And has this not deveated from the orignal topic?