• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Breaking News: Internet Attacked Along With Wow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
tried to shut down the internet

MUAHAHAHAHHAHA, STAND BACK COPPERS OR ILL SWITCH THE BIG SWITCH AND YOU CAN SAY GOODBYE TO THAT INTERNET THING YOU NEED SO MUCH TO LIVE!!!!!! MUAHAHHAAHAH

somone attacked WoW

MUAHHAHAHAH MY LVL 70 TAUREN WARRIOR IS UNKILLABLE EVEN BLIZZARD SHELL EAT ITS WARTH! WATCH WOW DIE TO ITS POWER! (aims screen down at the ground) NOW DIE TO MY MIGHTY AXES!!!!!

You have delt 1027 damage to World of Warcraft!
You have killed a MMORPG!

This aplications has encountered a critical error.
The system referenced a game at 'AEE052'
The game was found to be dead.

/Brain on

Well whatever you heard made no sence as the exadurated quotes above demonstrated.

Level 6
MUAHAHAHAHHAHA, STAND BACK COPPERS OR ILL SWITCH THE BIG SWITCH AND YOU CAN SAY GOODBYE TO THAT INTERNET THING YOU NEED SO MUCH TO LIVE!!!!!! MUAHAHHAAHAH

MUAHHAHAHAH MY LVL 70 TAUREN WARRIOR IS UNKILLABLE EVEN BLIZZARD SHELL EAT ITS WARTH! WATCH WOW DIE TO ITS POWER! (aims screen down at the ground) NOW DIE TO MY MIGHTY AXES!!!!!

You have delt 1027 damage to World of Warcraft!
You have killed a MMORPG!

This aplications has encountered a critical error.
The system referenced a game at 'AEE052'
The game was found to be dead.

/Brain on

Well whatever you heard made no sence as the exadurated quotes above demonstrated.

Atleast no Eggs were hurt. :sad:

Level 8
Yes. There was a hacking attempt to shut down the entire WWW. It failed, the internet's security is as strong as was hoped. Maybe you should google this before you say it never happened.
I don't know about WoW, but a video game is an extremely insignificant part of the hack, if it was done. WoW, along with all the other video games, would crash along with the WWW.

Level 25
Shutting down the entire Internet is a hard impossible thing. You can try, but you'll fail miserably

Shutting down WoW though I don't see happening. Its only a single MMORPG in the great sea of MMORPGs out there. Someone could concievably shut down WoW, but Vivendi would get their legal team on it and that person would be horribly arrested

Level 6
What if....what if.....someone tried shutting down the....the....Chicken Hatchery's? :( no more eggs >_< :sad:

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

No more omelettes I suppose.

Level 6
THE HORROR....THE HORROR.....

My Eggs will never be harmed! they will be pure...i will teach them the ways...then sell them to Chriz...

Eggy <3's Chriz. Eggy <3's Mecheon. Eggy <3's Eggs. Egg </3's Stoves.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Enough egg talk, back on topic, kthx?

Level 8
People seem to think that the Off-Topic forum is simply a spam forum...

Shutting down WoW though I don't see happening. Its only a single MMORPG in the great sea of MMORPGs out there. Someone could concievably shut down WoW, but Vivendi would get their legal team on it and that person would be horribly arrested

That's kind of the point of doing it right, isn't it?

Level 8
pfft, i know how to get rid of Wow.
Nuke the blizzard hq.

and the internet? Only the apocalypse my dear friend...or a massive world wide power out...which would also = apocalypse

Actually, the funny thing is that a Nuclear strike that could wipe out Humankind, would not shut down the internet. The only way to do it is internally.

And powerouts wouldn't do it, since the satellites would remain running.

Level 4
Probably Bill Gates being jealous of WOW and certain other, and wanted to convince them to buy more of his stuff ^^ Either that or he demonstrated Vista on an older machine and activated a fatal system shutdown loop in the process of the new red screen of death.

Level 8
mmm I'm sorry to say you can't just shutdown the internet like that...its not like there is just one big master switch you can click off. basicly every server that exist makes up the internet why some servers make up a bigger chunk in the end they all combine and thats what the internet is. Basicly it takes months for a decent hacker to hack ONE server or a set of servers imagine trying to hack millions of servers all with diffrent anti-hack software. As for WoW....who cares?

Level 8
mmm I'm sorry to say you can't just shutdown the internet like that...its not like there is just one big master switch you can click off. basicly every server that exist makes up the internet why some servers make up a bigger chunk in the end they all combine and thats what the internet is. Basicly it takes months for a decent hacker to hack ONE server or a set of servers imagine trying to hack millions of servers all with diffrent anti-hack software. As for WoW....who cares?

Except, you're wrong. That's not how it works. It's dependent on 13 servers, that route the entire internet. These hackers took out 7 of said servers.

And no, they weren't doing this from one station. They have been working with Trojan Viruses for several years, to create "Zombie Computers," which run normally except when the hackers tell them to do something via the Trojan. So, while they're waiting for their commands to send packets and such, they'll be uploading spyware or spambotting websites and forums, etc.

Level 8
mmm dude http://computer.howstuffworks.com/internet-infrastructure.htm?

so if im wrong your saying there are these 13 servers that are basicly recieving and sending millions and millions of prabaly terabytes of info and handling it smoothly? im sorry to say but that would require maintence and I don't believe I found the internet "shutdown" for that reason lol. trust me dude 13 servers running the entire internet is one impossible idea.

Last edited:
Level 8
mmm dude http://computer.howstuffworks.com/internet-infrastructure.htm?

so if im wrong your saying there are these 13 servers that are basicly recieving and sending millions and millions of prabaly terabytes of info and handling it smoothly? im sorry to say but that would require maintence and I don't believe I found the internet "shutdown" for that reason lol. trust me dude 13 servers running the entire internet is one impossible idea.

Alright, I understand now. You're clearly right, just because you're that clever.

>your saying there are these 13 servers that are basicly recieving and sending millions and millions of prabaly terabytes of info and handling it smoothly?

No.. that's not what I said. You assumed that.

That link is completely irrelevant, considering I wasn't talking about the way you connect to the internet. There are 13 supporting servers that are 'holding up' the internet. Yes, you use other computer and website hosts to connect to other websites and computers, that's why it run smoothly. The point is, if you shut down the 13 servers, the internet would no longer work.

Level 6
Nerds fighting over how the internet is ran. How its operated. How many "servers" run it. How you can disable it. All is as it should be.

Level 8
Dude Tonks that shows how the internet works.....you see 13 severs there? nooo.... basicly the internet is one gaint grid with so many diffrent routes and paths it would be impossible to take them all out yes you could cripple it alot but you could never shut it down.

You're confused. They ROUTE through other servers, yes, but there are 13 host servers that 'hold it up.'
If you eliminate the 13 host servers, then there will be no webpages for other webpages to route through.

Level 8
webpages are just webpages its like this...you take are school website for instance which is hosted on the schools servers even if all 13 of those servers die there is still the school server hosting the site and it will still be there. grant it maybe somone from like asia or europe coulden't acesses it. anybody around here and probaly the west coast for that matter still can get on it becuase its just a matter of putting in the domain name and the comp finds the best path to the site. even though the main path might be gone there hundreads of smaller servers that can easily route your stuff threw so no the internet will not come to a end if you lost all 13 servers.

Level 13
Ok. This is ridicleous. First off, no one can shut down the internet. Its not that it shouldnt be done, or that it would be too difficult. IT CANT BE DONE. There are millions of users a day online, each nation has servers, each country has servers, everywhere has servers. The idea that the internet is run off 13 servers is compleately idiotic. Its 100% impossible, and for a fact, if you shut down 13 webservers (any servers you want) sure, a large portion of webpages MAY be disabled. However, it wouldnt be long before the servers were rebooted and everything is as it should be.
And if you think your computer is safe from the government, your wrong. The government controls a large portion of online industry.
Another point, the internet is run through more than just webservers. Computers themselves can act as webservers if you wanted, all you hafta do is configure a P2P (Pier to Pier) connection. Anyway, just a little fact to break up this myth.
In short:
The internet cannot be shut down.
as far as world of warcraft goes, blizzard is a large company. It can be shut-down. But a class-action lawsuit would be one of the only ways (short of a stockmarket crash or nuclear warfare destroying all of california, england etc) that could shut down blizzard.
In short:
Can WoW be shut down? Yes. Is it likely? No.

Level 36
Yeah the internet is FAR to large to take out, there are billions upon billions upon billions of web sites out there and to take down all of them would be a project collosal beyond human comprehension. It ain't happening. WoW, yes if you attacked all of the WoW servers, then I suppose you couls take it down. 7,999,999 WoW nerds would be without their beloved game (me being the 8 millionth, I don't really care, I hardly ever play WoW) and would go insane.

Level 18
Actually, the funny thing is that a Nuclear strike that could wipe out Humankind, would not shut down the internet. The only way to do it is internally.

No, it would, because the EMP from nuclear blasts that large would likely knock out enough DNS servers to shut most of it down immediately, and with nuclear winter and no humans there'd be no power anyway.

Except, you're wrong. That's not how it works. It's dependent on 13 servers, that route the entire internet. These hackers took out 7 of said servers.

And no, they weren't doing this from one station. They have been working with Trojan Viruses for several years, to create "Zombie Computers," which run normally except when the hackers tell them to do something via the Trojan. So, while they're waiting for their commands to send packets and such, they'll be uploading spyware or spambotting websites and forums, etc.

I doubt they could take out even one of the 13 primary DNS servers, and even if they took out all 13, I beleive there's 4 backup servers. In the event they were downed, too, there's still the smaller, localised DNS servers of every country, state and even individual ISPs. And EVEN THEN you could still visit sites via their direct IP address. To truely take down the net, you'd need to down every server on the planet and keep them down.

Also, I doubt even very good hackers could keep enough computers infected with DDOS attack trojans without being detected until they were needed.

Level 8
actuly nuclear winter is still a theory becuase we can't exactly prove it by detonate 20 nukes now could we? Personly that make one hell of a april fools joke on blizzard part shutdown WoW say it got hacked and all accounts got deleted....Watch about 20% commite Sucide 20% roit and the rest get on there life then blizzard comes back APRIL FOOLS! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.