• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Boss AI Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
So I'm creating a system to make the enemy boss in my map cast abilities. Boss take damage, he casts abilities if certain conditions are met. I'm using timers to act as like cooldowns. It works for the most part, except it appear that one of my timers isn't being set at all!

Here's my code:

• Arthas Cast
    • Events
      • Game - GDD_Event becomes Equal to 0.00
    • Conditions
      • GDD_DamagedUnit Equal to Boss
      • (Remaining time for BossAbilityTimerBuffer) Equal to 0.00
    • Actions
      • -------- --------------- --------
      • -------- Boss Ultimate --------
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Life of Boss) Less than or equal to 2000.00
          • BossUltimateUsed Equal to False
        • Then - Actions
          • Trigger - Run Arthas Ultimate <gen> (ignoring conditions)
          • Countdown Timer - Start BossAbilityTimerBuffer as a One-shot timer that will expire in 9.00 seconds
          • Set BossUltimateUsed = True
        • Else - Actions
      • -------- Rechecks AbilityBuffer in case Ultimate was triggered --------
        • If - Conditions
          • (Remaining time for BossAbilityTimerBuffer) Equal to 0.00
        • Then - Actions
          • -------- Holy Light --------
            • If - Conditions
              • (Remaining time for BossAbilityTimer[1]) Equal to 0.00
              • BossAbilityCounter Equal to 1
            • Then - Actions
              • Game - Display to (All players) for 1.00 seconds the text: Holy Light
              • Unit - Add Holy Light (boss) to Boss
              • Unit - Order Boss to Human Paladin - Holy Light Boss
              • Set BossAbilityCounter = (BossAbilityCounter + 1)
              • Countdown Timer - Start BossAbilityTimer[1] as a One-shot timer that will expire in 30.00 seconds
              • Countdown Timer - Start BossAbilityTimerBuffer as a One-shot timer that will expire in 3.00 seconds
              • Wait 3.00 seconds
              • Unit - Remove Holy Light (boss) from Boss
            • Else - Actions
              • -------- Divine Shield --------
                • If - Conditions
                  • (Remaining time for BossAbilityTimer[2]) Equal to 0.00
                  • BossAbilityCounter Equal to 2
                • Then - Actions
                  • Game - Display to (All players) for 1.00 seconds the text: Divine Shield
                  • Unit - Add Divine Shield (boss) to Boss
                  • Unit - Order Boss to Human Paladin - Activate Divine Shield
                  • Set TempPoint = (Position of Boss)
                  • Unit - Create 1 Dummy Unit for Neutral Hostile at TempPoint facing Default building facing degrees
                  • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Human Sorceress - Slow Boss
                  • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg_TempPoint)
                  • Set BossAbilityCounter = 1
                  • Countdown Timer - Start BossAbilityTimer[2] as a One-shot timer that will expire in 25.00 seconds
                  • Countdown Timer - Start BossAbilityTimerBuffer as a One-shot timer that will expire in 3.00 seconds
                  • Wait 6.00 seconds
                  • Unit - Remove Divine Shield (boss) from Boss
                • Else - Actions
        • Else - Actions
  • Timer Test
    • Events
      • Time - Every 1.00 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Game - Display to (All players) for 1.00 seconds the text: (BossTimer1: + (String((Remaining time for BossAbilityTimer[1]))))
      • Game - Display to (All players) for 1.00 seconds the text: (BossTimer2: + (String((Remaining time for BossAbilityTimer[2]))))
      • Game - Display to (All players) for 1.00 seconds the text: (Buffer: + (String((Remaining time for BossAbilityTimerBuffer))))
BossAbilityTimer[2] continues to report 0 after the Divine Shield Ability is cast. Anyone know why?

Level 16
Ahh no it doesn't. This has fixed the problem.

This fact is exclusive to Dialogs and Timers.

I didn't realize you needed to set the array size for these variables. I use to set the array size of all variable type, but all variables appeared to work regardless of initialization size, so I stopped bothering.

Thanks.

Level 17
Ahh no it doesn't. This has fixed the problem.

I didn't realize you needed to set the array size for these variables. I use to set the array size of all variable type, but all variables appeared to work regardless of initialization size, so I stopped bothering.

Thanks.

Glad it worked ;)
Beware next time :D

EDIT: Found out the reason:

Dialogs and Timers do not have a function to initialize. They are created by the Variable manager. As the Variable manager doesn't know how many timers /Dialogs will be used in the Functions, it creates as much as the Arrays say ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.