• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

BLPaletter GUI not working, and executable confuses me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
I'm trying to use BLPaletter for its JPG compression, but it's being a real pain in the butt right now. I read the entire manual, on the hive and in the download, tested TGA and JPG, tested multiple preset and custom settings, but I get the same thing everytime. I open the image, hit Convert and this is what I get:
BLPaletter.jpg
It creates no new compressed BLP, in fact as far as I can tell, it does nothing at all. (in the screenshot you can see the folder location, no new file was made)

As for the exectuable, I guess I really suck with computers because I can't figure that out either. I tried opening all the executables, one will open for a second then close, the other will give me some error message about it being illegal and forces me to close it, and the other one tells me its a virus and does nothing. I'd really rather just use the GUI, but maybe it doesn't support the latest version. Please, help, I could really use this to save file space.

+rep, and thanks a lot for any help.

Level 8
Yeah I do have Vista, it won't launch for me either, the DOS one, the GUI will. However the GUI does nothing, but the executable DOS BLPaletter will spit out a BLP, however I'm unable to choose any of the settings, run any commands so its just compressing the files on default settings which kind of defeats the purpose. The old GUI, which is linked in BLPaletter on the hive (a more recent one is linked on Wc3c) does work for me, however there is no option of setting mipmap amounts which is the main reason I wanted to use this program, for compressing icons.

Do you know if JPG compression on BLPaletter is just the same as converting a JPG file to blp using Wc3 Viewer but converting it at lower quality?

Thanks for any help and + rep!

Status
Not open for further replies.