Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Blizzard OWNS your maps

Discussion in 'StarCraft I & II' started by Legacyspy, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Alkonis

Alkonis

Resources:
    Resources:
    Getdota.com does not have ads, and neither does playdota.com--those are the only two sites that Icefrog is affiliated with.

Anyway. Welcome to life; companies change. The only Blizzard you need to be worried about is the Blizzard that exists right at this moment.

And the EULA/TOSes... honestly, nobody gives a crap. They're just legalities that probably won't have any effects unless a lawsuit comes up.

2. Jassu

Jassu

Resources:
    Resources:
    This isn't Warcraft III. There are major technical and functionality differences between StarCraft II and Warcraft III. As such, you can expect a different TOS.

People really need to stop posting incorrect information. I don't know if you fabricated that yourself or not, but it's inaccurate. IceFrog is only affiliated with getdota.com and playdota.com, and there are no ads on either of the sites. Any other DotA sites IceFrog is not affiliated with—as such, he does not make any profit from said sites.

Please, be aware of what you post and make sure to check the accuracy of it. The last thing we need is more misinformation spreading.

3. mrzwach

mrzwach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You know, I've seen people who hate Blizzard, but claiming that they are going to steal your map and try to make money off of it based on a legality in their ToS seems a bit over the top.
    No, they actually can't. The legality only applies to things created with Blizzard's software, and I don't think creating a game from scratch is done using Blizzard's software. I suppose if you re-used material then they could try to sue you or something like that, but seriously, do you realize how bad it would look for a company like Blizzard to pursue a court case against someone creating an indy game with a storyline they created?

Anyways, I see nothing wrong with Blizzard being able to control material created with their software, truthfully the only thing Blizzard would use this for is getting rid of harmful/offensive material produced with their tools. If you really think they could (or would) just go ahead and take someones map away from them and start charging money for it, you must be awfully naive about how the world works.

4. Statharas

Statharas

Resources:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    In short, they can rape us without having any problems with the law.

5. Agarwa3n

Agarwa3n

Resources:
    Resources:
    Not true. You can still doupt the legality of the ToS attending a court, this is why they wont abuse the ToS in such ways. It's rly just to have their backs covered from every possible aspect and they'll use it for security reasons mainly cause they cant risk having the ToS being declared illegal and thus having no control over their product in that country.

It's like Gibson charging a fee over the songs been played from their guitars, or toothbrash companies charging you every time you brash your teeth with their product. It cant rly legaly stand.

6. BlackArmsShadow

BlackArmsShadow

Resources:
    Resources:
    Blizzard has not and will neverr stolen maps. That's the job of lazy, uncreative mapmakers who can't make one to save their lives. Like the old saying goes, 'Pics or it didn't happen.'

7. Arhowk

Arhowk

Resources:
    Resources:

Seriously guys.

Stop dissing this. Blizzard is turning evil thats true but what do we give a crap? Infinity ward just got its ass kicked by the gayest company ever, Activision. In all retrospect, instead of standing here posting on this topic :)con:) how bout actually doing something for a change? Id like to see you guys come up with your own multimillion dollar team and try to make games. Besides, if they own our games, who cares? We can still play them, we can still edit them, people will still know their true owners. Also, instead of sitting here saying how bad sc2 will be and how badly Blizzard will be ripping us off, how bout backing off for a change? Theres other things out there people!!! Ever heard of Call of Duty? Halo? Having a Life? Who gives a damn about what they want to do!!! Besides your all arguing about one little issue! Theres tons more evil things going on with that company! They say its not going to be like WoW, monthly fees. Thats a bunch of bull. Also, Getting a new copy for every server u want to play on??? what the hell!@

8. Beider

Beider

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I think many of you missed an important keyword in the agreement,

This part basically means that you also still own the license to whatever you created, so if you decide to make a game of your own out of it there is nothing Blizzard legally can do about it.

However Blizzard can do whatever they want with your map once you publish it on B.Net, but they still don't own the exclusive rights to it.

(PS. This stuff will most likely not hold up in court, however no map maker has the money to go up against Blizzard's lawyers anyway so it doesn't really matter)

9. BlackArmsShadow

BlackArmsShadow

Resources:
    Resources:
    Wouldn't that help the mapmaker? It would be a freaking honor if my map was so good that Blizzard was like 'Hey, can we host tournaments using your creation?'

10. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Just want to add that you can't compare the work that goes into a game like DotA (extremely little) to the work that goes into a game like SC2 (a metric shitton). Carry on.

11. BlackArmsShadow

BlackArmsShadow

Resources:
    Resources:
    Stop listing DoTA. A good map should be like a huge RPG that's built from the ground up. Like Kingdom of Kaliron. You remember that don't you.

12. Legacyspy

Legacyspy

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm going to shutup after this since its getting pretty pointless.
    1. I said Icefrog COULD, I did not say he did or does.
    2. Non-exclusive means they can use what you create and put in their game in anyway they want.
    3. I'm not saying they are actually going to do of anything, I am not saying that this will hold up in court, all I was doing was pointing out that they are leaving their options open, so that if they wanted to they can attempt it.

13. mrzwach

mrzwach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    lol.

Also, they COULD do anything if they wanted to. If I wanted to, I could go and stab my entire family with a knife from my kitchen. What someone CAN do is very different from what they will/would do. Doing something like that would be an idiotic business decision; I can hardly think of worse publicity that is feasibly possible.

14. DarkFrog

DarkFrog

Resources:
    Resources:
    Without WoW Fee's How is blizz going to pay their employees?
    And please don't spread false info.. You only need one copy and you can play on as many servers as you wish.

15. Triceron

Triceron

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well, they can ban you for absolutely no reason as well. Are you going to not make a Battle.net account because they have the authority to ban you?

16. DarkFrog

DarkFrog

Resources:
    Resources:
    Technically There is no such as "No-Reason" everthing that happens has a reason.

Example: ( Jim is a Dev) Jim is mad at someone so he Bans X Number of accounts
    Some would say no reason, but he had a reason, he was angry

17. Agarwa3n

Agarwa3n

Resources:
    Resources:
    ..Jim gets fired :grin:

18. Alkonis

Alkonis

Resources:
    Resources:
    You said this:

You said "the ad revenue;" Jassu and I only pointed out that there are no ads, thus no ad revenue.

Yes! Thank you. You win this topic.

19. elfian

elfian

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Bli$$ard $uck$.

20. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Dollars signs instead of ses. It's like it's somewhat correctly spelled and it implies that they want money!

Your post is brilliant and has left me speechless in awe.