• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Blender & Warcraft 3 Modeling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hi all :)

I am new to 3Dmodeling and i am currently using the opensource 3D-tool Blender (www.blender.org) to teach myself modeling.

Now i managed to create some very basic models (such as lowpoly buildings) and i like to know if there is a possibility to convert Blendermodels to the required Warcraft3 -mdl-format.

Blender supports exporting to 3DS, OBJ, FBX, X3D, PLY, DAE, MDD.

What is your recommendation to make custom models for WC3 (with animation support) ? I have seen there are some free usermade tools arround here, however i would prefer to stick with an advanced editor like Gmax or Blender.

Any suggestions ?

Greetings to all

WarcraftJack

For Blender, go to this link for some import/export scripts:
http://www.blender.org/download/python-scripts/import-export/

That may help. I haven't tested this, but you can model in Blender and export to obj and edit in GMAX and animate in there. Then use something like NeoDex for exporting to wc3.

Tbh, you may need to just get used to Gmax, because otherwise it may be a painful process if you need to import back and forth from blender and gmax just for edits. As far as I know, none of the exporters preserve animations, so that may be your only choice. :\

Level 1
thank you all for your replies.

Currently i am stuck anyway to UVunwrap my models in a reasonable way.

I am just not used to this. I watched and understood the UV-tutorials that show u how to unwrap a Cube - however if the model has a more different shape i am not so sure how to proceed.

First at all i try to learn some painting in Gimp to make my own comic-textures for the models.

Level 1
Try uvsmart unwrap. Load yhe model un the uv screen. And from there select faces and add textures. Im an intermediate blender user myself. And personally i prefer to do animations in blender. And as for texturing. Im not to good at makong textures myself lol. I have an artistic friend though.

Status
Not open for further replies.