• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Blender to mdx/mdl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Yo guys,before i ask my question - yes i searched the forum and i saw the obj to mdx converter,but i also saw the comments which state about crashes and such.
I saw Hayate is converting models for people,but my question is how?How do you do this dark magic Mr.Hayete?If anyone knows of a way to convert obj(or w/e format that blender supports) to mdx/mdl,please share this information.
And yes,i would like to stick to blender,as it is free.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...odex-2-7-wc3-modeling-kit-3dsmax-gmax-115767/
That's how the kind Hayate converts models for poor Blender-users like us.
I never understood why the creator of it made the converter part of it dependent on 3ds and Gmax and not stand-alone.

However, up to now, there is no proper way around Gmax or 3ds if you would like to convert to mdx.
Actually, there is a way. There is an ancient, outdated plug-in for a very old version of Blender. You can easily find it with google.

From mdx to obj there seems to be this: http://narutoxbase.deviantart.com/journal/MDX-to-OBJ-Converter-402449965
I haven't tested that one though, but someone said it works.

Level 2
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...odex-2-7-wc3-modeling-kit-3dsmax-gmax-115767/
That's how the kind Hayate converts models for poor Blender-users like us.
I never understood why the creator of it made the converter part of it dependent on 3ds and Gmax and not stand-alone.

However, up to now, there is no proper way around Gmax or 3ds if you would like to convert to mdx.
Actually, there is a way. There is an ancient, outdated plug-in for a very old version of Blender. You can easily find it with google.

From mdx to obj there seems to be this: http://narutoxbase.deviantart.com/journal/MDX-to-OBJ-Converter-402449965
I haven't tested that one though, but someone said it works.

Ah,i see.Thanks for the help mate.I'll check that plugin. :thumbs_up:

Level 29

Because who on earth wants to parse propriety terrible formats like .max and .3ds?
Why not convert .blend? because who on earth wants to parse a propriety (well, more like, undefined, in this case) format?
So yes, making exporters in the programs makes more sense, especially since it gives you way more control - e.g., bone tools.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Okay, forget about .blend and .3ds, but I still don't understand why you would make,
for example an .obj to .mdx converter dependent on another tool.
It is less about general export and import, but about converting a file to mdx.

Okay, forget about .blend and .3ds, but I still don't understand why you would make,
for example an .obj to .mdx converter dependent on another tool.
It is less about general export and import, but about converting a file to mdx.

Model formats differ quite a lot so a converter is not an easy task.

Specialy for a format like obj that can represent a lot of different geometry surfaces which are incompatible with game engines.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Model formats differ quite a lot so a converter is not an easy task.

Specialy for a format like obj that can represent a lot of different geometry surfaces which are incompatible with game engines.
I cannot recall it right now, but I read a discussion about something different somewhere.
I think it was about something related to C++ and that every program uses its own something
instead of them sharing one and saving space.

I can imagine it is not an easy task to write such converter, but I also
don't think it is an impossbile task.
I do understand the advantages of having it bound to a modelling tool,
but at the same time I don't.
Most likely there are good reasons for it, as you state, some files are
quite complex and I could imagine depending on the further use the converter
himself changes a lot.

You can export in .ms3d from blender.

War3ModelEditor has an import function which can import .ms3d
This would require Blender users to get a new modelling tool though,
since Blender cannot export to .ms3d by default.
Though I am going to search for a plugin, thanks for the hint!

EDIT: Oh, never mind, it is supported by default, but not enabled.

Wow, Systemfre1, thanks a lot, that's is awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.