• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Black Hole Spell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
in my new AOS Rise of the Immortals im trying to creae a type of black hole, or abyssal hole which sucks in units who come with in a certain range. I was wodnering were i should start, and how i get units to be sucked in and damaged once they get to the center.
Heres an idea.

Base Trigger
Unit finishes casting an ability
Picked unit is Equal To Ally of triggering player
Unit group-Pick every unit in 700 range of black hole
Turn on Black Hole Movement
Turn on Black Hole Damage

Draw in Trigger
Every .01 seconds of game time
Move picked unit at position of picked unit offset by .04 towards black hole facing black hole

Damage
Picked unit is in 200 range of black hole.
Cause black hole to damage area of 200 at unit in ranges position

Level 7
hmm seems like it could work but im not too good in triggers so you mgith have to wait for a reply from someone who is.Maybe you should test this and post results.

Level 16
I did this kind of spell long ago for someone. As for the damage part, creating an invisible unit with permanent immolation in the center should work quite nicely.

Attachments

• vacuum demo map.w3x
    15.4 KB · Views: 169

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Just incoperate the damage actions into the move actions since that way you can save efficency and still have it link to casters stats.
Basicly you have to create a dummy unit and a trigger or timer and then attach the dummy unit to the trigger/timer using handle vars. Set the dummy's custom unit value to the amount of damage you want done and then write the core function which is triggered with the trigger/timer.

That function then retrieves the dummy unit and the attached damage and then uses a loop to pick all units in a groupe which are units fetched from X diamater around the dummy. In that loop you run your movement actions and your damage action check for full efficency.

To stop the trigger you need to add look at all ways it is meant to stop and then trigger it so that when that event happens it destroyes the main trigger/timer and the dummy unit to avoid leaks.

See how simple it is!

And do not tell me you do not know jass since I am refering to the jass method and nowhere in your post did you say it had to be GUI.

Level 6
Well this could be done even in GUI, no need for Jass. Your method seems higly plausible Dr. Super Good, your only problems is lags/leaks coming in from the every .(something) second events or timers. Multi-instancability may also make working with timers harder.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
LOL leak? lag? what are you talking about?
Lag maybe but leaks definatly not since jass = no leaks if you know how to use it.
And as for lag? well lets say I made spells that use alot more actions and handles than what I said above and they hardly lagged at all (no lag).
So do not jump to conclusions with jass with out understanding it.

Level 8
Here is a blackhole spell (and animation!) i found while searching for spells a very long time ago.

I think its still operational and should give you the basic idea of how to make it if its not.

Note: I didn't make this spell, just found it.

Attachments

• Black Hole v. 1.0.w3x
    50.9 KB · Views: 158
Level 3
im sorry i did not mention it should be in gui. I thought you could guess that by the example i gave you maybe i should be more specific. Well anyways my partner in making the map kingofJasons will fix my spell (hes awesome at making spells) if its messed up but i will try my method and putting an unit with immolation in center. Thnx for the help guys.

Level 3
I have done a black hole spell but it is different from any of those others black hole spells. i used an ability to shoot a beam at a target i named it final ray but this is how it works.

i used two triggers
First: Final Ray Part 1
Events
Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
Conditions
(Ability being cast) Equal to Final Ray
Actions
Set Positionoftargetfinalray = (Position of (Target unit of ability being cast))
Wait 2.00 seconds
Unit - Create 1 Black Hole for (Owner of (Casting unit)) at Positionoftargetfinalray facing Default building facing degrees
Set BlackHole = (Last created unit)
Trigger - Turn on Final Ray Part 2 <gen>
Wait until (((Units within 800.00 of (Position of BlackHole) matching ((((Matching unit) is A Hero) Not equal to True) and ((Owner of (Matching unit)) Not equal to (Owner of BlackHole)))) is empty) Equal to True), checking every 3.00 seconds
Trigger - Turn off Final Ray Part 2 <gen>
Unit - Kill BlackHole

what this trigger will do iz once you fired the beam at a target, that target will die and spawn a black hole in its place and will stay there will stay there till all, units not being a hero and not owned by owner of that casting unit, is dead.

Second: Final Ray Part 2
Events
Time - Every 0.01 seconds of game time
Conditions
Actions
If (((Units within 75.00 of (Position of BlackHole) matching ((((Matching unit) is A Hero) Not equal to True) and (((Matching unit) is in (Units owned by (Owner of BlackHole))) Not equal to True))) is empty) Not equal to True) then do (Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within 100.00 of (Position of BlackHole) matching ((((Matching unit) is A Hero) Not equal to True) and ((Owner of (Matching unit)) Not equal to (Owner of BlackHole)))) and do (Unit - Remove (Picked unit) from the game)) else do (Do nothing)
Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within 800.00 of (Position of BlackHole) matching ((((Matching unit) is A Hero) Not equal to True) and ((Owner of (Matching unit)) Not equal to (Owner of BlackHole)))) and do (Actions)
Loop - Actions
Unit - Turn collision for (Picked unit) Off
Unit - Make (Picked unit) face BlackHole over 0.00 seconds
Unit - Move BlackHole instantly to Positionoftargetfinalray
Unit - Move (Picked unit) instantly to ((Position of (Picked unit)) offset by 5.00 towards (Facing of (Picked unit)) degrees)

This trigger is initially off and what it does is pull every unit within 800 of tha blackhole straight towards it. this iz my first black hole spell and am updating it.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
No one use the above trigger, ITS A LEAK TRAP!

Soooooo many leaks I almost got a heart attack!
Over 300 locations a second are leaked and about 500 groups are leaked a second!
After 1 casting the map would need to be rehosted since it would become unplayable.

Avatar-Conan, learn to trigger before giving trigger help. Or are you posting this as a joke? Since trying to fool people who have little trigger knowledge is not funny!

Level 3
not my problem if you didn't use the trigger correctly i casted it multiple times in my game and neva failed look at the trigger close and use correct variables there should not be any problem. besides if the person that needed this trigger actually had problems i would do the trigger my self. and also i dont know if you actually read the last few words of my post, i said its my FIRST black hole spell. if your bsin me cuz you cant read the trigger correctly ill make it send you the map and prove that the trigger works correctly. and ill leave an explaination step by step.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Ok post the map, if that is the trigger it uses I really must see it not lag after 20 casts on 25 units each time.
Its impossiable for that trigger not to leak.

And your running 3-5 leaks 100 times a second and so leaks quickly build up.
And so you know I DO NOT NEED TO TRY IT OUT TO SEE IT LEAKS.
And incase you dont know leaks are when infomation is stored on ram but you can not remove it untill the aplication is closed.

And I do not see and custom script there to remove leaks.

Level 3
buy some ram for your comp if you bsin about rams. ma comp gots 1 gig ram have no lag. plus i got a graphics card with 256 of memory. i opened multiple applications on ma comp plus i used about 50 units ok it lagged for a bit (minimal) then it recovered, i casted it again with less units and it was operating perfectly fine, care to explain that?. not my problem if your computer sucks. custom script? i neva heard of such custom script to remove "leaks" as you say. and if it exists why didn't you use it? leaks removed, problem solved. why are you bsin me about this, i told you once and i told u twice that this is my FIRST black hole spell, and thats 3 times. instead of bsin me why not send me that custom script of yours so i can fix the trigger? and pls read post carefully i dont wanna hear bs.

Level 10
The thing he is trying to tell you is that the trigger leaks(memory leaks). memory leaks arent always noticeable at start, but they cause your map to become slow and laggy(sometimes causes crash) and when he says custom script, he mean the action called "Custom Script -" it can be used like this:
Custom Script - call RemoveLocation(some location variable).
the action above is used for removing a location, so it doesent leak.
you might want to read a tutorial about how to clean leaks in GUI, or get the leak checker program for GUI.

Level 3
true, evetually any map would get laggy like that also that spell iz ment for an ultimate with like 3-5 min cool down. but at least someone is nice about tellin me this stuff unlike dr good here who just talks bs about other people's work

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
The only person tallking rubbish is you, Avatar-Conan, it WILL lag eventually, maybe after 3 casts but it will since it leaks. And NO, a well triggered map can be left running for well over 24 hours and not lag or leak, only bad triggers like yours do leak. IT IS NOT AN ESCUSE SAYING "it is my first [insert spell name] I ever made" since even if it is your first, such triggering CAN NOT BE ALLOWED! Your first spell, yes, but not your third or fourth spell.

I churn out all my spells in jass and before I even test them, I make sure they do not leak.

This topic has deviated long enough.
Moderators, please close it down since the orignal creator already said he got all the help he needed (or in a simlar way).
Also this topic is now talking about the effects of leaks and gui is better than jass(it is not).

Level 3
Is your request similar to that of Darchow the Enigma's Black Hole? If so I saw in wc3sear.ch a spell demo of DotA spells including the Black Hole. It may have been posted here. Check it out.

Level 3
Look at this kid talkin its funny shit. First of all i just posted something to help someone in need and then some fag comes in and bs my work. now tell me who's the one talkin shit? i've played many other games other then warcraft and they all lagged within a few hours. and my comp iz way more powerful then your garbage. i've played dota many times and that game lagged for me within 2 hours or so, and that map was well built. you saying your perfect buddy? get yo facts straight before you bs me kid. i admit i did a mistake i know i'm no pro at triggerin. look at you, you talk like you some kinda pro, which i highly doubt. seriously kid learn how to respect other people's work, being newb or pro it doesn't matter. i will ignore any further post coming from you before this shit gets real serious.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
DOTA LAGGED YOU AFTER ONLY 2 HOURS? what you running? a pentium 2?

In supreme commanders my bro can play 3 hour games with NO LAG what so ever except graphic lag but hay, that game demmands a lot, I played wc3 for a 4 hour game once and not even the slightest lag occured and the game was heavily demanding (Heroes and Empires). I cast a badly made scustom spell 10 times and then the map eventually laggs for 9 seconds when I cast it. NO it is not me lacking memory since it reaches NO WHERE NEAR MY 2GB ram, it is that wc3 loops threw all handles when you order a action using a handle and thus the more there are (like if a map leaks a lot from your spell or other spells) the more power is needed to preform an action.

I know what I am talking about, unlike you who joined 2 months ago, I have been with this group for well over 2 years and have picked up and learned from some of the greatest spells and systems made for wc3 so although I probably am not as good as Vexorian who helped show the comunity how to use the potential of jass, I still know what I am talking about and I have helped solve 100s of peoples problems

And I do respect other people's work, if it actually helps but a blackhole is not a spell for beginners to make, it requires atleast the know how of how to stop leaks for it to work.

So start acting like a grownup and instead of saying "OMG YOU CRITIZE MY WORK, &/%ç YOU!!!" you should be saying "You mean my work is not good? how do I improve it?"

With this I rest my case. . .

ANy futher responses will be in response to any nonsense said in this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.