• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Bigger maps: JGNP or shrink models and camera zoom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hi all

I want to create an epic RPG map that will be roughly twice as big as the maximum map size permitted by WE.

From what I have already found in the forums, there appear to be two ways of achieving this: (1) use the JNGP editor to create a 480 X 480 map, or (2) create a 256 X 256 map, reduce the size of all the models, and use camera zoom.

I have two questions:

1. Is either option clearly superior with respect to map load time and performance? I suspect that the second option is and, therefore, intend to use it. But if there is no significant difference, then I would rather use the first option and save myself the time of custom-sizing every model that I intend to include.

2. If anyone has used the second option, do you have any tips regarding which camera settings to use? I've played around with basic zooming but it looks a little clumsy. I think that zooming in while tilting the camera back and/or lowering it a bit might yield better results. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Level 14
About resizing all the model sizes: you could of course use a Lua script in order to change the model size of all your objects at once without having to do it manually in the object editor. This would probably save a lot of time if you where to go for the second option.

Level 4
Many thanks! I will go through that in detail.

I plan on using JNGP anyway for additional tilesets, etc. Just unsure whether creating a 480 X 480 map will result in significantly worse map performance than shrink and zoom.

If anyone has used shrink and zoom before, I would greatly appreciate some tips per my original post :)

Status
Not open for further replies.