• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Discord Better represent 2D art discussions and showcase

Anything to do with our Discord. Channel structure, etc.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Today we have modding, modeling and terraining channels in our Discord. These all help spark discussions about those subjects. But one of the corner stones of Hive is also about 2D art. Especially textures, icons, fan art, drawings, computer graphics.

I want to represent this topic in our Discord. I am not 100% certain exactly how, but I suggest we create one channel with one of the below (or any ideas?) names:

• texturing
  • 2d-artwork
  • drawings

On top of voting on this suggestion. I encourage you to voice how you think we can fit in this topic.

CC:
@MindWorX, @General Frank, @BogdanW3, @Mr.Goblin , @Shido, @stein123, @PrinceYaser, @Sapprine, @Vinz, @frostwhisper, @Trolldaeron, @handclaw, @The Panda

Level 17
I used to suggest the idea of expanding the modelling channel to include texturing too as they're closely connected, but a second channel that specifies in the 2D aspect, namely what to do in the textures themselves, would be good for this purpose as well.
A reason I prefer(red) to extend the modelling channel is that texture problems and discussion will often arise as part of the model-making process, and making more channels was already frowned upon and got undone once in the past so I'd rather not have that happen again, if only to preserve knowledge exerted therein

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
I used to suggest the idea of expanding the modelling channel to include texturing too as they're closely connected, but a second channel that specifies in the 2D aspect, namely what to do in the textures themselves, would be good for this purpose as well.
I just feel like if we are to expand modeling we'd have to rename it to #graphics and that seems too generic.
A reason I prefer(red) to extend the modelling channel is that texture problems and discussion will often arise as part of the model-making process, and making more channels was already frowned upon and got undone once in the past so I'd rather not have that happen again, if only to preserve knowledge exerted therein
There will always be topics that could straddle two channels. Heck, look at #off-topic and #lobby. And 2D art will foster a lot of showcasing and 2D art that definitely doesn't straddle, too.

Level 17
I just feel like if we are to expand modeling we'd have to rename it to #graphics and that seems too generic.

There will always be topics that could straddle two channels. Heck, look at #off-topic and #lobby. And 2D art will foster a lot of showcasing and 2D art that definitely doesn't straddle, too.
I don't really think we need showcase channels per se, if anything, one showcase channel with a 1-day slowmode, for everything in the server, would probably be better than many random showcase-and-help channels where anyone can post anything at any time and interrupt productive conversation that had an aim to get something done or fixed. And conversely - a help discussion hiding someone's showcase

Level 32
An art channel is fine, but depend how much active artists in discord.
I know for sure i cannot be available due to broken laptop but i wouldn't aganist idea.
Texturing alone is fine in the modeling channel since a texture still need a model to put on.
As for something like drawings or 2d art, depending on what you would view. It's a hobby for some one but a profession to other.
If this the case then Off-Topic doing the job just fine, still if we are in agreement then i'm alright opening one.

Status
Not open for further replies.