• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Best'n Worst; Do you dare?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
Right, I've been wanting to make a thread like this for quite a while now. Fellow brothers if artistic terraining, thou that count thyself as a good and experienced terrainer; I dare you to post thine best and worse terrain, comment it, and tell all of us, why you chose your best and worst one.

Alright, to get this one started I will post mine.

Worst:

failwx8.jpg

- Comment: Well, after all, this was my FIRST ever try on terraining. I mean, I had made maps before, but not terrained for the sole purpose of terraining. Also, I did really never ultimately make this to post it up on the net, but to use it while making a drawing, thinking it might be easier to draw it if I had a somewhat idea of how it would look. That idea failed though, so I've chosen to call this picture for "Fail".

Best:

santaorthanolk1.jpg

- Comment: Right, I, in a personal matter, think this is my best terrain. I've always terrained more or less to try making more a feeling, something deeper than only the picture itself, to make it come to life, with deep meaning. And this is the one screenie I think myself I have really accomplished this with. I just love the overall mystic of the picture. To me, everything is right with this one. (And yes, I've edited away the colors on the picture.)

I hope to see other terrainers take heart and do the same as I just did. Blessings be uppon thee, fellows.

Level 12
The first one, it the one of my cinematics, 4 years old, It is mappreview

The second is from cinematic remake I am making now.

Attachments

• war3mappreview.jpg
    war3mappreview.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 215
  • dragonx.JPG
    dragonx.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 207
Worst

• Right in the middle of the light orgasm spam period, this is, by far, my worst terrain in my folder (except for one I made for ugliness purposes). It lacks... everything.

sunnyvillagemo3.jpg

Best

• Started ages ago, finished a while ago, this is, also by far, my best terrain. Sunset, my favourite, on which I've spent several hours on several days on. I like to think of it as my masterpiece.

sunsetxitd5.png

Level 36
'Kay. I think I just have to give this a go.

a0cq6a.png

Yeah, well it's pretty obvious why this is my worst. There isn't really any interesting effects, it's empty, boring, etc. Blah blah blah.

40240d1224205517-voids-terrain-gallery-ruinstemplerainy.jpg

Mhmm. I think this is my best. Not the arthas one, not the tower, this one. Why? Well, this was my third terrain piece ever, and it still (in my opinion) ranks up among the newer ones. Personally, I think the environment is done near-flawlessly, the trees are placed in just the right positions, it looks mysterious, the weather is great (see the rain splashing off the tops of the trees?), and I love the waterfall.
Furthermore, it looks like warcraft.

Level 36
Well, Belgarath, the point of terraining is different from each terrainer. Like, Void obviously terrain to get them to look like wc3 but still tries his best to do a good job, I for instance terrain for the soul of the terrain, the overall feel. You terrain for light and shiny terrains, and raid1000 likes his terrain large and pumped up to an epic scale with lots of details. So we're all different, and if Void thinks that is his best, then he does so. I cant say I agree neither, but its his choice :p

Level 21
Best

• Started ages ago, finished a while ago, this is, also by far, my best terrain. Sunset, my favourite, on which I've spent several hours on several days on. I like to think of it as my masterpiece.

sunsetxitd5.png

I'm sorry, but I personally think your sunset really isn't that good. I've seen you do better to be honest. Your "lost" terrain would be a much better candidate...

@ Void, I like tower of babylon the most.

Level 28
blackabissblue.jpg

I don't like it. I don't like the grass, the abyss and the background. My beginner terrains own this one, I don't know how I came up with this. I belive that the idea is good, but the execution fails. But the sky color fits the terrain, I belive :p

MorningTundra.jpg

Yes, this one. I love this one. The sky, the stars, the feeling it gives and everything else. I got heavily inspired by the song "Fade to Black" (Metallica), but Sonata Arctica's cover (a finish metal band, wich has the coldest songs). It was such a pleasure to terrain that. :3

_________

I don't know why, but, terraining has become a hard thing for me. It isn't as before... =/
I belive something is missing...

Status
Not open for further replies.