• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Best Terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hello!
I've created one of my best terrains(Thanks to some hive's tutorials:grin:).
Isn't an "Epic" terrain but I think its good.
And I want your opinion!:ogre_haosis:

Attachments

• Water ver 2.png
    Water ver 2.png
    943.3 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:
Level 3
Not trying to be too straightforward but.. this terrain of yours has quite alot of flaws

Here is the flaws

there is a feeling of 'end of the world' try solve those black sky fogs with fog or something else.

Lack of a good fog which from what i looked.. your terrain is based on a submerged ship in a ocean right?? Maybe you can add a deep blue fog or making use of the 'water' model within the UTM

It look too 'dead', i recommend you add some fishes and underground sea creature
Just adding coral and rocks won't do well, try out mixing with srubs/grass/shells and other sort of stuff commonly found under the ocean.

Lastly, a good point is that this terrain gave me a 'ghostly' cursed ship, i really hope you can add some ghost/specter model and make it turn out to be 'ghostly' :D

I hope i have given some help.

Level 3
Sorry for the late reply (Was busy working)

Hmm quite a good improvement :D but however.. i believe your terrain have much much more potential.

Try imagine what we will normally see in a deep sea ocean.. such as.. underwater cave?? Geyser, deadly sea creature.. sharks (I believe in hiveworkshop there is a shark model) The most important is 'how to place the unit at a correct view and angle' it take alot of time and trys to adjust to get the right angle and correct placement.

One thing i would like to point out, your foilage placement is lacking (Sorry, no offenses intended) http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/general-mapping-tutorials-278/natural-environments-96825/ I am not really sure will that link help you out anot but i think it a tutorial which is quite benefit to terrainer.

If i recall.. there was a terrain that is based on underground ocean..something related to yours. I hope someone can post and link it to give you some reference (I try help out find too)

Hope i have helped :)

Level 36
Right.

First things first, shrink that ship. Make it way smaller, so that the stretched textures on your shi(t)p doesn't show, I'd even consider tinting it darker, not necessarily very dark, only a little darker, to make, again, the textures less apparent. Mostly because the textures on that ship is... Well, bad. On that note, I'd advice having a much more deep, dark and gloomy blue fog, and probably a little thinner, with that I mean that you can see further into the distance.

Second thing, I'd advice you to chose your doodads more carefully, the standard wc3 ones doesn't look good, at all. There is a map in this section which will help you on that front, a map specially made for terrainers, with doodads imported and sorted out for your best benefit, called the UTM. - Be sure to download the "3.0" one.

While yes, perspective is important, I personally don't think its too important for a first terrain, however elevation is really important if you want a good looking seabed, this kind of depends on what kind of ocean floor you do want though, if you're going for the tropical twist, I'd reccomend having some steep valleys filled with corals and stuff, if you're going for a more... Well, standard seafloor, I'd simply reccomend more elevation. With that I mean, hills and valleys, just make it look undersea, basically, try searching up some pictures on google for refrence, if you like.

I'd also suggest not focusing too much on units (fish and sharks) as it is very hard to pull off a good looking terrain including them, and mostly only the best of terrainers can do that, it takes some... Ahh, experience. Honestly, I think you should exclude the units (fish) completely and just focus on making your terrain look natural, with that comes doodad placement. As of right now, your doodads seem to be a little, randomly placed. Be sure to gather up rushes in spots where it seem natural, and have corals and rock formations align propperly.

Lastly, I'd advice dropping back the fog a slight bit, just to be able to have some background, maybe some mountains fading away in the distance, just to give the terrain some depth. Give my advice some thought, will ya? ;)

And good luck improving your terrain, mate :)

Status
Not open for further replies.