• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Best Movie [Nomination] (Several categories)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Aight, so I got bored of 'worst this', 'worst that', 'what do you hate' and 'what is death' .. all these kinds of depressing questions and discussion. Let's brighten up and talk about something we like instead.

Therefore I officially open..

BEST FILMS voted forth by THW

:RULES:
1. Stick with the rules of THW, that's obvious, is it not?
2. Keep discussion elsewhere, only nominations here
3. Please refrain from sarcasm and/or bashing
4. Don't break these rules
5. Seriously

The concept is simple, and easy to comprehend. What you do is:
1. Copy the code (further down) into your new post
2. Fill in each of the fields (preferably all)
2b) Please do fill in a proper reason
2c) Decide on one* nominee
3. Post it

* per category, if that didn't appear clear to you

Code:
[plain]
[b]ACTION[/b]
Nominee: <fill in>
Reason: <fill in>

[b]ADVENTURE[/b]

[b]COMEDY[/b]

[b]THRILLER[/b]

[b]DRAMA[/b]

[b]HORROR[/b]

[b]FANTASY[/b]

[b]SCI-FI[/b]

[b]WESTERN[/b]

[b]BOLLYWOOD[/b]
[/plain]

So let's see this through, and when we've had enough of nomination, we'll put the ones that have been nominated the most times, or just all of them if possible, into a poll for each category and finally see which films the majority of THW likes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 22
Use [plain][/plain]
Like this:

Code:
[plain][b]LOLOLOL[/b]
[i]I R 1337!!![/i]
[u]OMG[/u][/plain]

Src:

[code]
[plain]
[b]LOLOLOL[/b]
[i]I R 1337!!![/i]
[u]OMG[/u]
[/plain]
[/code]

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

ACTION
Nominee: CON AIR
Reason:
The acting is pretty much superb. Nicolas Cage, as Cameron Poe, does an excellent job making a believable character. John Malkovich, as Cyrus 'The Virus' Grissom, suits a psychopath (which he has shown on several occasions) and I've got no trouble believing in that character either. A few of the characters are overload, like that mass murderer that is being held as if he's Hannibal Lecter (though he acts well nevertheless).

The soundtrack is magnificent, I mean.. just listen to it! Dark, lurking music as well as tones of hope and those of despair. Chaotic when the situation call for it. All in all, I bet you could guess what's happening just listening through the soundtrack chronologically (as in you turn your screen off, somehow cut out the voices, and just listen).

The plot itself is awesome- transport of criminals, in a high security aeroplane. It is obvious that it won't work, which the director does not hesitate to show, it's pretty much straight to the point. That they have to land on a different airport to switch planes is also pretty natural. Basically, the storyline is stripped of random, unneeded events.

For the nitpick, I must confess that nearing the end, when they are about to do an emergency landing in the middle of Las Vegas, the plane with the city as background scenery looks extremely faked and aligns with Terminator in the first film- bad work. Either they'd have to do it better, or just cut it. It is not necessary to have it there, and it pulls the ratings down.

ADVENTURE
Nominee: -will edit in later-
Reason: -will edit in later-

COMEDY

THRILLER

DRAMA

HORROR

FANTASY
Nominee: Lord of the Rings
Reason:
The book was awesome, the film is almost as good. Peter Jackson has done a valuable effort in making one of the most inspiring fantasy settings come alive.

The acting is not all great though, and perhaps other actors would have made it better. Aragon and Gandalf pretty much nailing the acting - Gimli securing the humour - Legolas saving the women? - everything pretty much just maintains the storyline and do not stand out. Frodo is a helpless little emo with huge eyes, not a lot like in the book. Gollum is, apart from the story itself, the best thing about the film. Intriguing character that one.

Unfortunately, there's quite a few flaws in the filming, like tracks, lights and watches, not to mention clothes that change. This however, if you don't notice, do not affect the film a whole lot. Once you've noticed them, you don't want to watch it again.

SCI-FI

WESTERN
Nominee: Dirty Harry
Reason:
"Feelin lucky, punk?"
Yep, he's just that cool.

BOLLYWOOD
Nominee: None
Reason:
I have not seen any.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Fixed.

Embarrassing that I forgot HORROR, seeing as it's pretty much my favourite genre.
As for FANTASY, I was thinking it could go under ADVENTURE, but changed my mind, and then I had to add SCI-FI as well.

If a moderator could keep this clean of comments and everything not a nomination, that would be neat. Though I guess that won't happen in the off-topic section.

Therefore I ask people not to spam, it's hard to find the nominees between all the crap (well, not hard if everyone follow the guidelines, but a lot more work anyway).

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

FANTASY
Nominee: Princess Mononoke
Reason: Best anime movie ever made by Ghibli

Status
Not open for further replies.