• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Battlenet hosting problem - tutorial not helping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum.

I would like to playtest my map on Battlenet, but I'm having trouble hosting, namely I can't do it.

I looked at the tutorials here but I get stuck at the same spot every time: I look up my default Gateway, and am told to then paste it into a web browser. I do that and it takes forever to load and then says "the connection has timed out".

I tried turning off my firewall McAfee Security Center, and that doesn't work. I found the ports in McAfee and opened up them open. I put WC3 in the list of exceptions for the firewall. But none of it works. When my friends try to join my game (which does show up in the public list) they have a long pause and then get an error message telling them the game couldn't connect or something.

I'm in Australia, getting my internet from BigPond if that helps. For once the internet has not saved me... all the tutorials I read involve using the default Gateway that isn't working.

If anyone has suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Level 14
You need to port forward in your router. For this tutorial you need to know your router make and model: Click Here. Typing in your default gateway into your internet browser should work. Is your IP set to manual or automatic?

- Mr_Bean

I don't know if my IP is set to manual or automatic I'm afraid. I do get the same IPv4 Address and default gateway every time I do the command prompt, then ipconfig. It's been about a week and not changed so I imagine it's set. I have no idea why the browser isn't working. I tried IE and Firefox. I'm not sure how to get by that. I sent an email to my service provider but haven't heard back.

Level 14
For me,

default gateway: 192.168.0.1

When I type it into firefox I get "the connection has timed out"

I've tried just 192.168.0.1,
tried it with http://192.168.0.1
even in a fit of desperation tried www.192.168.0.1
I've tried typing in my IP address instead of default gateway...nothing.
I tried turning off my firewall and doing all that as well.

Every tutorial I find seems to require this step and it just isn't working for me.

Level 14
You must only type "192.168.0.1" in (no "www."). Perhaps your network administrator has blocked you access to your router? When you type ipconfig, how many times does it bring up "Default Gateway"?

- Mr_Bean

It says Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:
<some stuff...>
Default Gateway . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Ethernet adapter Hamachi:
<some stuff....>
Default Gateway . . . . . . : 5.0.0.1

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:
<some stuff...>
Default Gateway . . . . .. :

So it says it 3 times I guess. The Hamachi reference is a program to let you try to set up LAN across the internet. You probably know more about it than me. I set that up recently after I failed to host on Battle.net, so it cannot be the problem. The last Default Gateway (under Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection) is blank.

Status
Not open for further replies.