• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Battle of Metal - Warmachines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
I had a very crazy idea for a map,

A tabletop map from a tabletop game called "Warmachines",

A few things to Warmachines, it is a very easy-to-learn tabletop with a very fast gameplay and not many models are required to play it.

Warmachines' Scenario plays in the past, the time of steam. It is a steampunk'ed tabletop with huge machines beating the crap out of eachother, in the middle of that war of metal are 7 factions: Cygnar, Retribution of Scyrah, Khador, Cryx, Protectorate of Menoth and the infamous Mercenaries.

Each faction has it's own way of playing and quite own feeling:

Khador: Steam-exhausting monsters, they are the heaviest and slowest warmachines faction, they are mostly strong and proud people, and their philosophy is like: BIGGER, better! Additional they are monster machines latched with tons of metal. One of their disadvantages is that they have no real light warjacks.

Cygnar: The Proud of the Iron Kingdom, the cygnarans aren't the strongest force, nor the fastest, but they are adaptable as hell and their ranged weapons are HORRIFYING towards their enemies. They have small disadvantages, their armor is average and their melee abilities are average. But they have no real weakness. A good balanced faction with many toolbox-units and big guns.

Cryx: You can describe cryx with one word: Sneaky, they are a very instable faction, not too stable, underaverage in melee and ranged battle and the weakest race if it comes to armor. But they are the fastest faction in the world of warmachines. And they have QUITE overwhelming spells which cause corrosion or other tricks which can turn the table for the undead forces of cryx.

Protectorate of Menoth: Well, a bunch of fanatic guys which were originally cygnarans, they praise menoth, a divinity. Their style of fighting is quite clear, dying for the great Menoth is worth it! They got quite a good armor, but are nearly as slow as khador, their melee abilities are at the level of cygnar (average) and their ranged capabilities are quite shitty, they rely on their choirs which buff their warjacks.

Mercenaries: Quit a bunch of rough guys, they can be used by many factions, depending on the unit of mercenaries, they have no own style, they fight for money and are mostly toolbox-fighters, means they fight with dirty tricks.

Informations to the raw setup of the game:

Warjacks: Warjacks are the war machinery of that age, they are huge steam-exhausting iron bodies controlled by arcane brains and by the power of their warcaster.

Warcasters: A Warcaster is a military rank in warmachines, they are the most powerful human beings on that planet, they are adepts in magic, machines and weapons, they control the warjack's arcane brains and move them.

Infantry: Yeah, it is infantry, but many are reinforced with adapted jack-technology.

(There won't be infantry at all in this game, and not all warcasters or warjacks, but there will be many, and maybe even new(Warjacks and Warcasters))

Sub-Section:
1. Solo: Solo Models are special models with names and special abilities.
2. Character Models: Units which you can only play once per game, they have stories and are stronger than normal models.

How the Tabletop works and the Map will work:

Basic Rules:

Focus: Every Warcaster and even some other Models can give/receive Focus, Warjacks can receive focus (only if none of his abilities forbids that), Focus is used to improve the battle abilities of warjacks or to cast spells of the warcaster. Only Warjacks and Warcasters can get Focus. But only warcaster's can generate focus, beside a few solo's and through abilities. A Warjack can get up to 3 Focus per round from his Warcaster.

There are following Attributes on every 'Jack, Warcaster and other units:

SPD (Speed): The distance in inch a model can move. Can be altered by certain terrain.

STR (Strength): The physical strength of this model, this attribute is mostly used for melee weapons and special attacks. A melee weapon does STR + Weapon Power on Attack.

MAT (Melee Attack): The skill of the model with melee weapons. Is used to roll a Hit Try with melee weapons.

RAT (Ranged Attack): The skill of the model with ranged weapons. Is used to roll a Hit Try with ranged weapons.

DEF (Defense): The evasion or block possibilities of the model. If you make a Hit Try against a enemy, the Hit Roll must be higher or equal than the enemies defense, else you don't hit.

ARM (Armor):
The armor of the unit, thick steelplates for example. If you pass a Hit Try successful you can roll a damage try, if you surpass the armor of the enemy with your damage try you deal that much damage to the enemy.

Weapons: Weapons are used by nearly every model in the whole game.

There are two major types of weapons:

Melee Weapons: Melee Weapons are swords, fists, blunt weapons, or whatever is used in a melee fight. Your standard melee range is 0,5". Melee Weapon Damage is calculated by STR + POW of the weapon, for example if the weapon of a warjack would have 6 POW and the Warjacks STR is 9 the Weapon would have a Melee Weapon Damage of 15. Melee Weapons can have different ranges, but thats always written in the stats of the model.

-Melee Weapons look like the following:
"Name of the Weapon" POW 1 P+S 9
for example, POW is the power of the weapon, P+S is POW + STR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ranged Weapons: Ranged weapons are arcs of lightning, guns, canons, flamethrowers and so on. There is no standard range for a ranged weapon, all have different attributes. Ranged Weapon Damage is fixed. There is a special type of ranged weapons, the spray weapons like flamethrower of acid launcher for example, they are damaging everything in a cone if they hit the targeted model. Additionally non-spray weapons can have AoE's, means they affect units in a area, but if you miss the main target of the AoE Attack it will deviate away and may hit your own models.

Ranged Weapons look like the following:
"Name of the Weapon" RNG 10, ROF 1, AOE -, POW 10
RNG: The range of the weapon in inch.

ROF: Rate of Fire in numbers, this tells you how many times a weapon can possibly shoot per round, for example 1 means it can shoot 1 time. If it would be 2, you could shot 1 time normal, and you could spent 1 focus to buy another shot.

AOE: The Area of Effect, here it is none, so there won't be a AOE Effect, if it would be 3 you would need a 3" Circle Template to estimate the AOE Effect. Units get hit by the AOE effect are damaged for half of the weapon's POW. If you don't hit the target with the AOE Effect (you lose the Hit Try) the AOE will deviate by 1W6 and may hit other units as the targeted, but only with half the POW.

POW: The Power of the Ranged Weapon, this POW is not combined with any attribute and estimates the strength of the ranged attack dependant on the weapon (a bombard deals more as a small handgun).

How the Game works:
---------------------------------------------------------

1. At the start of a Warmachines Game, you and your opponent roll a die, the one with the highest number can select who has the first turn.

2. All players place their Warjacks, Units and their Warcaster. They must be placed in 10" from the edge of the table at the player's side of the table. The player who has the first turn places first, after the first placed his figures the next places them, and so on until all players placed their figures on the table.

3. GAME BEGIN. Now each player, starting with the player who was selected to be first make their turn.

What is a Turn?:

Your turn is divided into 3 phases:

Status Phase, Control Phase and Action Phase.

Status Phase: You remove all focus from units which still have focus. You remove all non-upkeep spells which still affect units on your side. All permanent effects take effect.

Control Phase: Now you get X focus, where X is the number of focus which your warcaster card shows (there are models which give focus too and aren't warcaster's), you can spread that focus on your warjacks or your warcaster and you have to pay 1 focus for each spell you want to upkeep (only possible with upkeepable spells), upkeep means that the spell remains for the next round, you can always upkeep spells in the control phase, if you don't, they just expire and are removed. A warjack can't have more as 3 focus (he only can if a ability says so.).

Action Phase: In this phase you can activate you're warjacks, units or warcaster. You can activate each warjack, warcaster and unit only once per round, if you deactivate it and activate another one you can't activate the deactivated unit until next turn. If you activate a warjack, unit or warcaster (you can have only one model activated at the same time) you can do one of the following 3 movements before you attack:

Walk: You can go in a certain direction (does not have to be a straight line (i.E you can go in circles etc, but only your SPD) for the activated Model's SPD.

Charge: You can go in a straight line for the model's SPD + 3". For charge you have to select a enemy target and you have to charge straight toward that target, you can't charge towards that unit if you can't draw a straight line to it. If you charge, and you charge atleast 3" towards the enemy, your warjack gets a boosted damage roll on his next attack. You can't fire with ranged weapons after charging. Charging requires to remove 1 focus from the model (sometimes warjack's can charge for free, if it is written in their rules). Warcaster's and Units can charge without spending focus.

Run: You can go in a certain direction like Walk, but you can double your Model's SPD for that "Walk". After that the activation of your warjack, unit or warcaster ends instantly. (You can't attack or use special effects). Warcasters and units can run without spending focus, warjack's have to spent focus to run. (Some warjacks can run without spending focus).
More informations coming soon....

Well, would you be interested to bring such a tabletop to a map? if you want to help with that map, you can join my team and help me develope them. I will write the style of playing in this thread if some are interested :D like, how warmachines works.

Of course I can do alot of the work, but i need a modeler, a skinner and maybe some people which help me getting the whole work done.

The Map would be a multiplayer map where you can use every model of your faction in a tournament like setting, and play the warmachines game.

Here are some pictures of warmachines: http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery

Click on the flags on the screen to enter the faction showcases.

Last edited:
Level 3
emm it's hard to me to understand how the gmapley goes and so on, maybe u can me direft me to a video of the actual game warmachines?

Level 5
Hey :)

I hade played it before.. its long time ago though. I have been waiting for someone to host a project (equal to you ^^), so i would really like to help. I can make icons and stuff like that. And i can help you with the units (if you want to).

EvilCookie

Level 22
This is a great idea for a map. I would love to help you. I could work on one of the races perhaps. The only problem I see with this is where will the models come from? I will send you a WiP of a map I've been working on for a while if you need me to prove my ability.

Here's a layout of my skills:
Terrain 7\10.
GUI 6.5\10.
Balancing 7\10.
Jass 0/10.
Dialogue\English 10\10.

I can't make resources but I can do quite well with the ones I'm given.

Status
Not open for further replies.