• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Battle Depths: A New Kind Of Hero Arena. (hopefully...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
Cool ^^

Edit:
Rainbow Evil has made some AWESOME terrain improvements for us!!! If you play the map, like the terrain, want to give rep for it, give it to HIM, not me.

0.5 out.
Not all planned improvements implimented, but some =)

Okay... here is a little list of what i might need help with and what i want done before next version.
TO DO:
Moar heroes: I will be having atleast 2 heroes for the next version. Rainbow Evil is currently making some heroes for me. Anyone else wishing to help me with this, is welcome =)
Moar Items: il fix this myself. Even though ideas are more than welcome =)
Moar Creeps: I think i can take care of that =)
Fix the leaks: RBE says he found some memory leaks. Il have to fix those.
Fix the bugs: I got some minor bugs reported. I know how to fix them, but it takes time anyway.

ATTENTION!

Next saturday i will be going off for ANOTHER vacation. I will be gone for about a week, but then i will not be off again before august. Just so you know!

Last edited:
Level 6
Hi, I'm not back from holydays, I'm in a Hotel with wifi xD, but I recently played the last version, 05, and I noticed that you used the image I did for the loading screen with the minimap preview image too, there's no problem with that, but the image quality that I've send you is too big for the mini map preview.

For the loading screen I send you a 512x512 image (High quality/well seen in big screeen/big size[448kb])

But if you use this image for the mini map preview image, you will obtain bad quality and bad spended size of the map, currently 3.16MB...

I can make a smaller one for the preview so it'll be well seen and less size.

Tell me if you want it :thumbs_up:

Level 27
@Zack:
AWESOME! Thanks alot ^^ (+rep if hive allows me =P)

@RBE:
Could you tell me where those leaks are again? I just cant figure out where they are =(

@Cazador:
Id love that =) Also... i might need some more art done when youre back. In gonna clean up on the first post yasee, and il perhaps need your help for that. Can you make animated pictures btw?

And now, im back!
While on vacation ive noted a quite large list of ideas for heroes, items and features. And i might need your help with some spells zack =)

Also, ive been thinking of (unless is extremely complicated) adding knockback to some of the abilities. Would kinda enforce the whole Movement Combat thing =)

Edit: Okay, here comes a list of what i will need help with.

Hero/Abilities:
Dryad:
Concept: The dryad has the ability to spawn 1-3 (depending on ability level) sprouts. The sprouts themselves do little damage, but the dryad's three other abilities have the sole purpose of using theese sprouts to deal damage.
Abilities that i need help with:
Explode: Makes a sprout explode to deal high damage to all nearby targets. The sprouts are targeted as Wards, and i need to make sure theese abilities are only castable at theese sprouts. (having the ability to blow up the enemy is quite imba)
Thorns: x4's the damge of a sprout. Also adds the critical strike ability to the targeted sprout as long as effect lasts.

Assassin:
Concept: High single-target damage.
Abilities i need help with:
Viper's Defence: The assasin turns invisible with a effect like windwalk. At the same time, all nearby enemies are damaged.

Vexile Knight:
Concept: Fast moving melee hero. Has no escape abilities and is abit fragile. Abit like the assasin, but while the Assassin has the possibility to escape, the Vexile Knights survival mostly depends on killing the target as fast as possible.
Jump Strike: Jumps to target and deals damage. Simple, but yet again: I cant make this =(
Demonic Strike: Sends a damaging projectile at the target and heals the knight when it hits. Strangely enough, i cant find a trigger that heals a unit in other ways than percentages =(

Disciple:
Concept: Intelligence basec melee unit. Adept at surviving while dealing just abit of damage.
Divine Reversal: For five-ten seconds all damage done to the desicple is converted into healing.

I got ideas for more heroes than that while on vacation, but i dont need any help witht those =) Yet...

Last edited:
Level 15
First, lets address the leaks. Here are some useful tutorials and stuff that you may want to take a look at:
List of Things that Leak
Things that Leak
Leak Check (Tool that checks for leaks :D)

Next, about the abilities. I will try and do as many as possible :)
However, I would be using the new version of Warcraft (1.24) so I don't know if there would be any compatibility issues when it comes to opening the map, but I don't think there would be any.

PS: Set the life of unit to life of unit + whatever for healing :)

Last edited:
Level 15
Oh, and just to tell you something, the new version of Warcraft has added new stuff to World Editor. It adds this thing called a Hashtable.
I haven't really used it much yet, so I have little experience with it. However, this tutorial has shown that it is indeed extremely epic. It can be used to contain every single variable that you need for every single spell you are going to make xD
Hastables Tutorial

With this, you can make use of just this one variable for all your spells 0_o

Also, redscore made this wonderful Jump/Knockback system thing. Not sure if it would fit the spells, but here's the link.

BTW, I'm pretty much done with the Dryad's abilities. I haven't tested them yet, but I think it should work :)

Level 27
Greato Zack =) I got some rl work to do atm, so i wont be much active within the next hour. And yeah i noticed the hashtable. Sounds epic =) But why cant the bastards just add some more normal and simple triggers? Like more than one option for removing special effects? Perhaps a action that goes "Remove all special effects on unit"? That would be usefull! And also bla... bla... bla...

Oh and i got the spree system to work =) Im not sure if the sounds i set to play when it triggers works, but the system itself works =) I Made the sprees like titles. Example: When youve killed 3 players in a row, you become a Blood Letter. After 4 kills, youre a duelist. 5 kills, gladiator. And so on. Thought that just copycatting DotA would be boring =P

Level 15
Sounds like some really cool titles :D

Anyway, I've finished the Dryad's abilities. The thing is, I used JASS for Thorns since I thought it would be easier :p If you need help with implementing it, please do tell me. I've added basic implementation instructions in the trigger comment.

Also, the Hashtable kinda works like a table (duh). When you store something in X of Y of the Hashtable, you actually store it in row (or column) X and column (or row) Y. Then, you take the value from Row whatever and Column whatever when you need it. Its actually quite useful, together with the new function (GetHandleId). This function allows you to retreive an integer which the unit/whatever is referred to by. This way, you can use one row/column of the Hashtable for each unit and use a Unit Group to loop through relevant units and perform the actions.
Unit Groups have always been awesome for MUI stuff, but you can't link two units. With Hashtables, however, you can "link" one unit with another by storing a unit under another's handle ID, this allows you to find the linked unit.

However, a problem comes when two values may override each other, therefore making things more complicated. This turns myself away from hashtables for the moment as I have yet to find a proper way to overcome this issue :(

Anyway, the map is getting more awesome 0_o. I'll send you a fixed version (the old one was bugged) of the Fire Spirit :)

Level 27
Thanks zack =)
And well... i were actually thinking of applying for the hosted projects when im finished with my current change checklist, but im not sure if that is... abit... presumptius? =(

Oh and... btw zack. I dont know if i already told you that, but when i filled all three taverns with heroes, im gonna realease a spellpack. I were imagining it to contain all the triggered and/or interesting spells that are made in Battle Depths, and if you want to, you can make that spell pack =) I thought that would be appropriate, since you have the credit for all the real cool spell stuff ;)

Level 12
Sounds like some really cool titles :D

Anyway, I've finished the Dryad's abilities. The thing is, I used JASS for Thorns since I thought it would be easier :p If you need help with implementing it, please do tell me. I've added basic implementation instructions in the trigger comment.

Also, the Hashtable kinda works like a table (duh). When you store something in X of Y of the Hashtable, you actually store it in row (or column) X and column (or row) Y. Then, you take the value from Row whatever and Column whatever when you need it. Its actually quite useful, together with the new function (GetHandleId). This function allows you to retreive an integer which the unit/whatever is referred to by. This way, you can use one row/column of the Hashtable for each unit and use a Unit Group to loop through relevant units and perform the actions.
Unit Groups have always been awesome for MUI stuff, but you can't link two units. With Hashtables, however, you can "link" one unit with another by storing a unit under another's handle ID, this allows you to find the linked unit.

However, a problem comes when two values may override each other, therefore making things more complicated. This turns myself away from hashtables for the moment as I have yet to find a proper way to overcome this issue :(

Anyway, the map is getting more awesome 0_o. I'll send you a fixed version (the old one was bugged) of the Fire Spirit :)

Posting to subscribe.
This seems like a nice project.
A maze... It seems creative, but will it divide fighting and lead to boringness and stuff like "I'm lost!".
Need a lot more heroes before people will take it serious. Having a low amount of heroes makes them have more story, but people are gonna worm out the unbalanced one right away, and pwn you with it.
Good Luck!
Is there a demo somewhere that I am missing? I kinda read the first 3 and the last 3, and didn't see one on any pages. (or am I blind?)

Last edited:
Level 12
I'll wait I guess.
We shouldn't realy be playing this on b.net yet should we then?
Or can we? I always spread random maps.
I spread a map by kitabatake for 1:30 hours, and I gave it to at least 150+people, and made at leat 5+ games of it be started by others.
I'm a good host.

Level 27
Good to hear =)
I actually gave 0.5 a try at BNet today, and thats where i discovered the leaking systems. So... zack? I need your help again =(
All systems i can make for rounds seems to be crushed when a player leaves. dunno why, but it seems so. And also, the Two Teams mode isnt working WHATEVER i do =( can you code systems for that kind of stuf?

Level 15
I have a brief idea on why the Round system bugs.
I believe that when a player leaves, the unit that marks his/her death in the round is gone. Therefore, it is impossible to ever reach the required amount of player deaths to end the round.

You would only need 1 variable for this. Use a Player Group and call it whatever you like (I suggest something like "SurvivingPlayers" or something). At the start of every round, you add all players in the game (exclude computer players) into this group. When a hero dies, remove the owner of this unit from the group. When you have accomplished that, you check if the Player Group is empty (via Integer Comparison, Count Players in Player Group SurvivingPlayers Equals to 0) and end the round if it is.

To prevent leavers from bugging this system, remove them from Player Group also.

I could make the system. Should be quite easy to do. However, I gotta go eat lunch now. I'll make it when I return.

Also, how's the Team Mode bugging?

Level 27
That round system you got there is really aweseome =D Alot more simple than the one i got. But acutally, the one i use atm, has 8 units at the start of the round, then kills one whenever a player dies. And i actually set the system to kill the unit that would be killed if the player died if the player leaves, so i really cant understand how the system isnt working, but it isnt. So i think il convert to yours ;)

About the team mode: I, Dont, Know. Its the same as the round system: The triggers are set and should work fine, but they dont. Just cant get it to work =( I can send you the map for a inspection if you want.

Level 6
I, the semi Mighty and quasi Powerful HIJAX returns from my extremely not-small break from EXISTENCE.

I stand available with my non-AWESOMENESS and ready to recieve ORDERS.

EDIT: added a quick(untested) implementation of viper's defense.
question: dragonson, you have a copy of JNGP? That would enable the tech support and his support(zack and i) to use Vjass, a better version of jass(basically, its a lot more advanced than that, but thats the simplest way of looking at it)

Attachments

• viper'sdefense.w3x
    16.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Level 27
Well... no. I dont. I heard that its some kind of upgrade to the world editor, and im not really felling secure around those.

Thanks for the ability =)

Edit: Ehm... i cant open the ability map =( It says that there is a currupt icon called blood and ghost key.

Level 15
Unfortunately, I don't work with vJASS. I'm not even sure if the current version is 1.24 compatible.

Also, I gave the script a check. Why use GroupPickRandomUnit (its pretty much a BJ) when you could use FirstOfGroup (a native). You should also have damaged the unit instead of set its life, but whatever.

Level 27
FirstOfGroup? Never heard of it, but it sounds usefull =) I can send you the lastest map version if you want to check it, cause im all confused. And yeah. When i made the round system i were fully aweare that it was fragile, but i simply couldnt map up any better way to make it work. =(

Edit: Oh and: i can open the ability now =)
Edit2: `Jax? the ability... bugs a little. I changed the ability name and added some visual effects, and all of a sudden it said that the ability trigger had encountered 7 diffirent bugs in the coding.

Last edited:
Level 6
Holy fuck.
There might be a problem with the Id, my code is dependant on that.
as to why i use the BJ instead of the native: I forgot the native existed.I havent done jass for a long time.
Fix: Replace GroupPickRandomUnit with FirstOfGroup. a lot more efficient. though that doesn't explain the error you're getting. maybe zack should have a look at it.
also, i've started designing some semi-simple AI.

Level 6
Well, the back from my holydays were delayed one more week, but I'm back to warcraft from now on, so, tell me what you need, you said something about it in the post #109...

I'll send you the resized picture for the minimap preview as soon as possible.

Level 6
A banner and a coat of arms, ok, but where will you use them? ex: icons, etc...??? Then you tell me the details...

And about the animated pictures, you mean something like a .gif no?
I can make them, and even if iI don't know I can always learn ^^
But, for what I know in wc3, the only place to put animated picures is in the loading screen, no?

Anyway where do you plan to use animated pictures?

Level 6
I think the AI i was planning will have to wait. Its a bit more complicated than i first thought.

I'm on the vexile knight's ability(jump strike).
edit: ability done, built right on top of paladon's jump system.

Attachments

• Hop, spring, jump.w3x
    42.4 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Level 27
@Cazador
Coat of Arms: I am remixing the thread, and id like a banner of something to greet new players, and like say "Hello! Somebody actually spend time making this! Come inside and say its awesome!"
And for the banner: Well... mostly for a banner that you can put in your sig and such =)

Hijax: Coolio m8 =)

Level 27
Hey again.
Sorry for double post, but i need your attention ;)

Ive finished the editing for the dryad, and have been fixing leaks for a while. My current goal is to fix as many of them as possible, then finish the Editing for zack's Fire Spirit.

But more importantly: I finally got myself a msn.
Il be on that most of the time, and when discussing map stuff, its alot more usefull than the forums.

So eh... my addresss is
[email protected]

So eh... Cazador, if you have a MSN account, can you come on? Id like to discuss the definitions of those things youre making =)

Level 6
Ye, I have msn, my account, you can add me, or I add you...:

[email protected]

I've finished the resized version of the picture for the minimap preview, here you have a download link, I named it war3mapPreview.blp so you only have to remove the "war3mapImported\" from the custom path after importing it:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JMP3U7HU

It's a lot of more small in size, and the dimensions are perfect so it can't be displayed better, and you will save 400kb in the map.

Level 6
Hi, sorry for the delay with the title image, it really only took me 10 mins, but I had problems with the computer that has the photoshop, now all's allright, I hope you like it. It's the same Title&Background and a similar frame, than the loading screen, but with a small red fog effect in the frame :xxd:

Tell me if you want anything to be modified or if you want to add something...

For the direct link to the image simply right click it and go to "see image"...

finaltitle.jpg

Level 27
Nice =) Can you size it so that it is only half as... high, tall, whatever. A Banner that large would get cut in half when displayed in a sig =P

And also: I will be taking a break in mapping til Aug 24 due to illness and stress. Just go too many things to do =( But il continue the project Aug 24 unless something unexpected pops up.

Level 15
I'm currently working on a damage detection system. I know that it it can easily be done by adding events, but it lags after a while, due to the accumulation of events.
Hopefully, this system can help you (and maybe other people) with spells like Divine Reversal (you can use Berserk with -100% damage taken for now, I heard that it works as you said) and maybe triggered on-attack spells (like Greater Bash, if you have played DotA :D)

Really great to see you back BTW, great that you're feeling better :D
Where are you going to host Battle Depths for beta testing? Would be appreciated, so I could join the tests :D

EDIT: Some possible platforms-
http://www.garena.com/ (Garena)
https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/download.asp (Hamachi, this is kinda good, it lets you "create" a channel that allows max 16 people to chat and play WC3 :D)

EDIT2: Something happened with regards to WE. It doesn't compile the stuff properly, and gives me the map files in a folder after crashing the editor. Just use the Berserk trick :D

Last edited:
Level 27
Thanks zack =) Though, it was more hearing me then seeing me =P (I call it Rusty-Chainsaw coughing) About testing: I have alot of freinds on Northrend, and i usually get one of them to help me, but those other ones look cool too =) You can use them to host without normally being able to?

Level 15
Yep, you could with Garena. I'm not so sure about Hamachi, but I think it should be possible :D
If you happen to download Hamachi, you could create a channel for beta testers and project members to discuss the map (it has a chat system) and play WC3. Garena does about the same, but you can get random people from the public to play too.

Anyway, do you need help with anything else?

Status
Not open for further replies.