• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Battery Health

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
Hello guys,

I have a new-ish Acer laptop with a 6-cell Li-ion battery. I am wondering what the best way to use the battery is. I have done some Googling and I would like to get your opinions as well.

I currently take my laptop to lectures each day and don't plug it in. It is usually drained to below 50% at the end of the day. Then when I get back home I plug it in and leave it plugged in until I leave the next day again (except I unplug it overnight). How good is this? Some websites say you should discharge it almost fully once per month. Any truth to this?

Thanks,

Mr_Bean :wink:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Some websites say you should discharge it almost fully once per month. Any truth to this?
It prevents the chemicals in the battery crystalizing and thus becomming permanently innert (battery loses capacity). Unless you discharge most of the battery from time to time there is a chance parts of the battery internally will be left untouched and thus crystalize.

It is important to not fully discharge the battery as you run the risk of over discharging it. If this occurs the battery will be permanently damaged as reactions begin to occur that cannot be undone through recharging.

Batteries themselves are only capable of a certain rechage duty before they break no mater how carefully they are treated. This is usually in the 1000s of times and should ammount to 100,000s of hours of use.

It is important to note that China is notorious for being a source of batteries of an inferiour quality. These batteries usually perform worse than well made ones and at a certain age or load they can even be a safety hazzard. Although there is no real risk to your person in the case of laptop batteries, there is a chance that they will degrade faster than one might expect or even than they are quouted to even if they are treated carefully.

Level 17
Thanks, that's interesting information.
Today I ran my battery down to about 35% because I was using it for work. Do you think it's bad to do this almost every day?
Should I leave it plugged in when possible (even if it's fully charged)?

Status
Not open for further replies.