• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Graphics Card vs Integrated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
Talking budget. I have the laptop already and it has not dedicated card. It has no PCI bus so I cannot buy a graphics card to plug in.

It has 1GB of RAM currently and I have read I can upgrade to 2GB (and it would not cost much for me to do so).

The thing is I am just trying to find out, will adding more RAM also help in supporting wc3 gaming (by giving the integrated card something more to chew on)?

Level 34
More RAM would help a little, so it just depends on how much you're paying for it. Personally I probably wouldn't bother upgrading my laptops RAM, I'd just save for a new one.

Level 15
Well the thing is when you have lots of processes in the background, such as World Editor and some Notepad program are typical, plus all the system processes and antivirus,

Yeah I need to upgrade the RAM ;)

Why spend $50 on a stick of outdated RAM when you could just save that $50 for getting a new laptop, which you will have to eventually.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Programs that run in the background with no majorly active threads do not consume as much memory as you would imagine. If your system starts to be memory starved it pages out the majority of such programs. Additionally, WC3 itself might not need all its data that it has loaded so areas may be paged out.

More RAM would reduce page faults. The only time this would be noticable is if you really run out of memory (WC3 suddenly upgrades to SC2 so the working set is stupidly large) or if you alt tab from WC3 to a program that has almost entirly been loaded onto disc (many survear page faults).

Although modern intel chips are getting there with their intigrated graphics, I think even the most basic dedicated card works better.

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
Save the $50, spend it on her, buy a new laptop after. :p

I just spent 90 euros on her yesterday, she has no problem with using my money ;)

I can treat myself!

And Dr. SuperGood, yes I am having pagefaults sometimes. During some phases of debugging I might have IE, Notepad++ WE and WC3 open at the same time, plus all the background nonsense that Win7 Starter generates.

Level 14
As far as I know from my experience and experience of other people....

90% of the time it's always best to have a graphic card rather then an integrated one.

Level 34
As far as I know from my experience and experience of other people....

90% of the time it's always best to have a graphic card rather then an integrated one.
So 10% of the time it's better to have integrated? I'm curious when integrated is better than dedicated.

Level 34
When you need a low power solution.

Or when you're too dumb to use a computer for anything besides internet browsing, checking emails and some word processing.
Well yeah, costs wise, but it's still not "better" in any measurable sense. :p

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The low power excuse is not going to be valid much longer. Already with OSX machines they turn off dedicated graphic cards when the intigrated card is more than is needed as to save power. Windows 8 will most likly also support this.

Only with Windows 7 and older OS machines is having a dedicated card a waste of energy as they lack the ability to seemlessly switch between dedicated and intigrated graphics.

Level 34
I know a graphics card equipped machine will be better for me I was just wondering if upgrading the RAM helps at all with handling the graphics. Even 1%.
Yes, it will help you run games on higher settings. Barely.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
More memory could allow you to run games with high quality textures as texture resolution has limited to no effect on performance at all with enough memory.

However, textures alone will not compensate for the fact you will have to run shaders on low (so many texture layers might not even be loaded or used).

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

The general idea is that RTS games are heavy on the CPU rather than RAM and GPU. So if your interest is to have better performance in WC3, upgrading RAM won't have a significant effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.