• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Upgrading Laptop Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
So PC Fair is coming up where I live and things are relatively cheap compared to market prices. I'm looking to upgrade my laptop (ASUS X42J) graphics card to run things smoothly.

Here are my specs.

specsa.png

As you can see, my current graphics card isn't keeping up as much as I wish it could. Right now, I'm looking at a few relatively cheap(er) upgrades to it but I've no clue on how to replace it myself and which to select.

My options are:
AMD Radeon HD 7770 1GB
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB

As I've said before, I've no clue on graphic cards, especially with laptops. I understand that (obviously) PC and Laptop graphic cards are different, which is just about it. I've no idea if even the options I've decided upon are even compatible with whatever a graphic card needs to be compatible with.

Any advice is appreciated before I make myself sound like a buffoon in front of the salesperson.

Level 14
IMO Radeon HD 7770 1GB would be sufficient with your resolution, however that probably isn't a laptop GPU.

They often have something like "mobility" or "M" or something of that sort in their names.
You should also look into the Nvidia cards, such as GT 650 M.

Edit: also don't pay anyone $50 to replace it, you just open some covers, take the old out and put the new in.

Level 14
It's not that easy to replace laptop cards. My old acer took me some time to gut entirely before being able to open the card panel... and then the assembling back together was... unenjoyable.

Yeah depends on the model, I personally haven't done any laptop hardware things to be honest. Still, I'd say it's not something to pay for, and you learn something too.

Level 22
Laptops are often designed in such a way you cannot simply change graphic cards. Doing so may result in overheating, shortened battery life or even just not be possible (physical space).

Where do you think I am with trying to add a 2nd ATI HD 3870 card to my Alienware to make it 1GB for HotS - videocard from one site, some fans from another, crossfire cable from third site, and all is more like - do never... At least my laptop being customizable can get such an upgrade, though Dell will tell you to bug off with system older than fall 2009... I certainly wouldn't waste money on a new Dell only because of little video memory more when everything else works fine with the laptop. Lesson: never buy laptops from smaller or sub-companies that will likely be bought by a bigger one... support will be gone for such systems. Now I have to look for parts and this will be useless to look for given the reasons above.

Just make sure what you want is compatible with the laptop and you won't stumble upon having to buy more than just the video card, even though yours is Asus.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Alienware are rather big laptops. Now days when we refer to a laptop we refer to devices like those produced by apple that are very thin, light and powerful.

I know for a fact that modern macbooks cannot be upgraded because all their components are intigrated very highly.

Status
Not open for further replies.