• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Need Graphics Card advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I just found out that my graphics card has broken down, a nVidia GeForce 7500 LE. I'm going to buy a new one but i don't know which one. I also don't know if there something i need to know about compatibility with the motherboard (like with CPUs needing specific sockets).

My other pc stats:
-Intel Core 2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13Ghz (2 CPUs)
-3300 MB ram

Wow should run good on it. With the broken graphics card i had 30 fps with lowest settings, this should be a lot higher with the new graph card. I want to pay a maximum of 100€ for it, preferably 70€. Any advise on what card i should buy?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You need to specify your graphic interface kind on your motherboard...

If it is APG 8x, then get a geforce 7800GS, that works well nearly maxing TES oblivion for me until my processor messed up (do not worry, my processor was 3-4 years old at the time so this is not related to the change in graphic card).

If it is PCI-E 1.0 then check the price of a geforce 8 series, and look for a cheap card from that. If they are too under your price range or unavailable, check the low end of the geforce 9 series (lowest).

If it is PCI-E 2.0 (which it is highly unlikly if not impossible looking at the age of your system) then any card from the geforce 9 or 200 series will do (and probably max WoW at 60 FPS if CPU is not bottlenecking) however there is a chance these will cost too much.

Do not know about prices in your area, you need to check.

Level 9
If it's a PCI-E Then this card is Great:

Bus Type: PCI Express 2.0 (Backwards compatible with PCI Express)
Memory: 896MB GDDR3
Core Clock: 576MHz
Shader Clock: 1242MHz
Memory Data Rate: 1998MHz
Processor Cores: 216
Shader Model: 4.0
Texture Fill Rate: 36.9 Billion/sec.
Memory Interface: 448-bit
Memory Bandwidth: 111.9GB/sec.
Display Connectors: 2 Dual-Link DVI-I, HDTV + TV Out
Card Dimensions: 266.7mm x 95.3mm x 38.1mm
Warranty: 2 Year

As it says its Backwards compatible with PCI-E. It cost me $240 AUD which is cheap for this kind of Graphics card, It can run Crysis and Far Cry 2 on the Highest Settings and get a Constant 60+ FPS

Level 27
You failed to mention what the card was...
Looking at the specs, It looks like an ATI card....

Too bad he can not aford it anyway as it is 145.64 € atleast based on current exchange rate and your provided price...

Yeah it's an ATI card, and i didnt see the price tag actually sorry..

Euh, ATI doesn't use that kind of numbers... no ATI card 896 MB RAM nor a 448 bit interface.

Those are typical Nvidia values.

Or i should've missed something biiig.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

If it's a PCI-E Then this card is Great:

Bus Type: PCI Express 2.0 (Backwards compatible with PCI Express)
Memory: 896MB GDDR3
Core Clock: 576MHz
Shader Clock: 1242MHz
Memory Data Rate: 1998MHz
Processor Cores: 216
Shader Model: 4.0
Texture Fill Rate: 36.9 Billion/sec.
Memory Interface: 448-bit
Memory Bandwidth: 111.9GB/sec.
Card Dimensions: 266.7mm x 95.3mm x 38.1mm
Warranty: 2 Year

As it says its Backwards compatible with PCI-E. It cost me $240 AUD which is cheap for this kind of Graphics card, It can run Crysis and Far Cry 2 on the Highest Settings and get a Constant 60+ FPS

You failed to mention what the card was...
Looking at the specs, It looks like an ATI card....

Too bad he can not aford it anyway as it is 145.64 € atleast based on current exchange rate and your provided price...

Yeah it's an ATI card, and i didnt see the price tag actually sorry..

EDIT

the site says £222.39

Euh, ATI doesn't use that kind of numbers... no ATI card 896 MB RAM nor a 448 bit interface.

Those are typical Nvidia values.

Or i should've missed something biiig.

As far as I know, no nvidia cards have an HDTV out. I am using a prety top range 275 geforce 200 series and it only has dual DVI out (no HDMI for HDTV).
He also admited its ATI, thus proving I am right.

BFG GeForce GTX 260 OC MAXCORE

* Memory: 896MB GDDR3
* Core Clock: 590MHz (vs. 576MHz standard)
* Shader Clock: 1296MHz (vs. 1242MHz standard)
* Memory Data Rate: 1998MHz
* Processor Cores: 216 (vs. 192 standard)

-- GTX 260
Display Support:
Maximum Digital Resolution 2560x1600
Maximum VGA Resolution 2048x1536
Standard Display Connectors Dual Link DVI
HDTV
Multi Monitor yes
HDCP* yes
HDMI* Via adapter
Audio Input for HDMI SPDIF
--

Coincidental that they are VERY similar?
And this is more than a year old, Dr Super Good, so no, you're not right.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
He admitid its an ATI? Yes it seems supescious but as he did not post the actual name, you can not tell.
Also its not a year old, this thread is 1 month old...

The fact that no nvidia fufil this to my knowledge (I have a 8800 in a computer and a 275 in another and they both only have dual DVI and no TV / HDMI out).

Thus there is eithor 2 answers, one I was right, which is pointed towards by the spec poster agreeing with me. Two we are both wrong as the poster made up imaginary graphic card specifications in which case he could agree that it is made by anyone (which is indicated by the nvidia with ATI output configs (I remember seeing most ATI gaming cards have dual DVI + HDMI)).

Anyway this has been solved.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

He admitid its an ATI? Yes it seems supescious but as he did not post the actual name, you can not tell.
Also its not a year old, this thread is 1 month old...

The fact that no nvidia fufil this to my knowledge (I have a 8800 in a computer and a 275 in another and they both only have dual DVI and no TV / HDMI out).

Thus there is eithor 2 answers, one I was right, which is pointed towards by the spec poster agreeing with me. Two we are both wrong as the poster made up imaginary graphic card specifications in which case he could agree that it is made by anyone (which is indicated by the nvidia with ATI output configs (I remember seeing most ATI gaming cards have dual DVI + HDMI)).

The GTX 260 is more than a year old, and it fits the specs posted. It also happen to have HDTV. It is an nVidia card, no doubt.. ATI simply does not make cards with silly numbers. nVidia does.

Status
Not open for further replies.